Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-31-2015, 03:34 PM   #1415
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65

Trail Boss Z71 Duramax Diesel.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:28 PM   #1416
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post

I'm really liking that. They either got the rake out of the front end or are doing a better job of disguising it.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:29 PM   #1417
G-Oil Guy
Where am I?

Drives: Zoe the ZL1, 2012 Frontier
Apparently the downshifts you're experiencing are outlined in the owners manual and it's normal until the computers learn your driving habits. Several long term reviews I read mentioned this along with some reviewers talking with GM about it and then admitting that after talking to GM and driving the truck more they couldn't get the problems to repeat despite purposely trying.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:00 AM   #1418
Sapper12b
HTCC Member

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
That's nice ! GM has a winner with the diesel Trail Boss.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:54 AM   #1419
radametz

Drives: 2013 CRT 2SS/1LE; 2016 Colorado Z71
Quote:

WANT
Old 09-02-2015, 12:09 PM   #1420
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Yep. Which is why WT Extended/Crew Cab Diesels are Fleet/Government orders only.

Otherwise, it's LT/Z71 Crew Cab only.
So I just have to wait until some Gov't/Fleet places start offing their old trucks to get what I want... Nice! Or find some way to get a fleet/gov't vehicle...

I haven't seen any details on this, but what transmission are they using with the diesel engine? Not the same gasser LFX transmission is it?
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 02:30 PM   #1421
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
What's the difference with the trail boss?
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 03:07 PM   #1422
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
What's the difference with the trail boss?
Tires, rollbar and some blacked out stuff.

This stuff for the 2015's

Name:  dealer install.JPG
Views: 798
Size:  28.9 KB
Old 09-02-2015, 03:53 PM   #1423
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Tires, rollbar and some blacked out stuff.

This stuff for the 2015's

Attachment 741696
Ah cool. Looks like you get 30's on the truck which isn't bad at all.
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:52 AM   #1424
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Quote:

I still think those off-road LED lights are in a less-than-optimal location...

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:22 PM   #1425
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
ran into this at lucas oil raceway, display vehicle in the Chevy tent at the NHRA nationals
Attached Images

Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:28 AM   #1426
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Not disagreeing with you, but that just sounds surprising to me.

Same engine and transmission found in the Camaro. It was a fantastic transmission, smooth shifts and perfect gearing....almost nobody complains about it. Maybe yours has issues?

What do you mean by engine pings a lot? You should not be able to hear or feel pinging going on at all in the engine...any pinging should be picked up by the sensors and adjustments made before its to the point of being annoying/distracting to the driver. The engine can run on regular, and I'm guessing that is what you are using (which is fine) but is not specifically "designed" only for it. Separate timing tables do exist...at least in the ECM for the LFX on the Camaro.

Exhaust is subjective.
Go up a mild incline and it rattles like a spray can for a few seconds until the timing retards. If I wanted to run premium fuel I would have kept my 6.2L Silverado. Lots and lots of people with this same complaint all over the internet. Tried 4 different top tier fuels now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Oil Guy View Post
Apparently the downshifts you're experiencing are outlined in the owners manual and it's normal until the computers learn your driving habits. Several long term reviews I read mentioned this along with some reviewers talking with GM about it and then admitting that after talking to GM and driving the truck more they couldn't get the problems to repeat despite purposely trying.
Got 5300 miles on it now, never once has it changed. And driving habits is a bs excuse. Yesterday I slowed down, turned into a parking lot at 5 mph and as soon as I gently touched the throttle the tranny gave a huge clunk while it dropped a few gears. WTF? Even after the new tune it is still reluctant to downshift on hills.
I'm getting tired of the looks I get from pedestrians when the hill speed control kicks in and it revs to 4 grand down a hill.

I've had 5 new vehicles since 2010 and none of them had issues. Hell, none of the cars I've owned ever since the 60's has ever not done exactly what you think it should, this thing is worse than a Turbo 350 with a vacuum mod valve for deciding what in the hell it wants to do.

Subjective or not, i've got a $40,000 vehicle that annoys me every time I drive it.

Now I think I'm in for a hell of a grind. raise a case with GM, do days worth of legwork until they decide to let me out of this lease. I can repeat all of these issues at will and I bet nothing they do will fix it.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:04 PM   #1427
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhe64 View Post

I'm getting tired of the looks I get from pedestrians when the hill speed control kicks in and it revs to 4 grand down a hill.

This one is what really gets my attention. I've read about it before. Under what conditions does it kick in? Is it only at steep inclines, or could I be trying to cost down a hill, on a normal road in town at 40 mph and would this kick in?

Is there any way to turn it off...is it for trailering? I'd love to know more.

It just seems to me that unless this happens only under certain and rare conditions that it would only equal more wear and tear on the engine/transmission and equate to worse fuel mileage.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:23 PM   #1428
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhe64 View Post
Go up a mild incline and it rattles like a spray can for a few seconds until the timing retards. If I wanted to run premium fuel I would have kept my 6.2L Silverado. Lots and lots of people with this same complaint all over the internet. Tried 4 different top tier fuels now.

Got 5300 miles on it now, never once has it changed. And driving habits is a bs excuse. Yesterday I slowed down, turned into a parking lot at 5 mph and as soon as I gently touched the throttle the tranny gave a huge clunk while it dropped a few gears. WTF? Even after the new tune it is still reluctant to downshift on hills.

I've had 5 new vehicles since 2010 and none of them had issues. Hell, none of the cars I've owned ever since the 60's has ever not done exactly what you think it should, this thing is worse than a Turbo 350 with a vacuum mod valve for deciding what in the hell it wants to do.

Subjective or not, i've got a $40,000 vehicle that annoys me every time I drive it.

Now I think I'm in for a hell of a grind. raise a case with GM, do days worth of legwork until they decide to let me out of this lease. I can repeat all of these issues at will and I bet nothing they do will fix it.
Well, I haven't been up and down any hills here in the big city but I guarantee you I'm not living with this downshifting crap much longer. May just trade it on something else... It's horrible in stop and go traffic at 20 mph