Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-30-2009, 04:46 PM   #253
CGM2SSRS
susp.ban4life!

Drives: Raptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennessey Performance View Post
Yes we will send a kit of 2. No I dont beleive in ram air but I do beleive in air flow. No I do not think your fans compare to the air flow dynamics of what is going on when the car is being driven at 60 mph.

We can agree to disagree.

Overall, I do like your answers and methods and I am now more comfortable with how you are performing the test. Thank you for your comments.
Ted,send him a pic of your fan. I think he will change his mind.
CGM2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:48 PM   #254
CGM2SSRS
susp.ban4life!

Drives: Raptor
It really is comical to see a vendor come in with defense in full guard. It makes one wonder..........read the thread in it's entirety. There is no angle in this test.
The test will happen when all the CAI'S are at the shop. The sooner the better.
CGM2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:50 PM   #255
jnewberr2ssrs

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS
I don't see why Hennessey is still a little reluctant...Even if your kit doesn't happen to be the very top performing one, the sole fact that you allowed your company to be subjected to independent testing says so much more for your brand in the long run - and if you look at the Camaro sales numbers so far this is going to be a big market pretty soon!

I don't doubt your brand, performance, or numbers. You guys have been around for years proving your credibility in performance and mods ...But it says a lot to your target market that you were willing to do this because in my opinion a company who comes to this thread, posts, and then backs out appears to be a company that either doubts itself or believes it's better than its customer/fan base and is unwilling to be the down-to-earth company that at least I personally happen to be looking for when I make a purchase decision.

What if a magazine (say Road and Track or Motor Trend or whichever car magazine you can come up with) were to do a head to head to head test with the Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger and one of them were to say "You know what? It sounds like the test has good intentions and thanks for the offer, but I think we're going to sit this one out and we'll let you know how our numbers come out." Who's willing to bet their customer/fan base would be disappointed in them?

I am going to be buying a Cold Air intake kit within the next few months (as will many others tuned in to this thread) and a big part of my decision will be based on these tests. And for me, it's not all about numbers. Yeah I want some respectable power gains, but I also want a good looking kit from a straight-forward company. That's my 2 cents

But then again, what do I know? My degree is only in International Business Management/Marketing...
Old 09-30-2009, 04:54 PM   #256
jnewberr2ssrs

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS
Hennessey, sorry I was still writing the above comment when you confirmed you would participate so I didn't see it...

Very cool! I have definitely considered your kit and just want to see some comparisons between what everyone is offering
Old 09-30-2009, 05:04 PM   #257
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Yes we will send a kit of 2. No I dont beleive in ram air but I do beleive in air flow. No I do not think your fans compare to the air flow dynamics of what is going on when the car is being driven at 60 mph.

We can agree to disagree.

Overall, I do like your answers and methods and I am now more comfortable with how you are performing the test. Thank you for your comments.
Thank you for Jumping on board.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:07 PM   #258
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnewberr2ssrs View Post
I don't see why Hennessey is still a little reluctant...Even if your kit doesn't happen to be the very top performing one, the sole fact that you allowed your company to be subjected to independent testing says so much more for your brand in the long run - and if you look at the Camaro sales numbers so far this is going to be a big market pretty soon!

I don't doubt your brand, performance, or numbers. You guys have been around for years proving your credibility in performance and mods ...But it says a lot to your target market that you were willing to do this because in my opinion a company who comes to this thread, posts, and then backs out appears to be a company that either doubts itself or believes it's better than its customer/fan base and is unwilling to be the down-to-earth company that at least I personally happen to be looking for when I make a purchase decision.

What if a magazine (say Road and Track or Motor Trend or whichever car magazine you can come up with) were to do a head to head to head test with the Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger and one of them were to say "You know what? It sounds like the test has good intentions and thanks for the offer, but I think we're going to sit this one out and we'll let you know how our numbers come out." Who's willing to bet their customer/fan base would be disappointed in them?

I am going to be buying a Cold Air intake kit within the next few months (as will many others tuned in to this thread) and a big part of my decision will be based on these tests. And for me, it's not all about numbers. Yeah I want some respectable power gains, but I also want a good looking kit from a straight-forward company. That's my 2 cents

But then again, what do I know? My degree is only in International Business Management/Marketing...
Well Written, and Hey, I can use a few tips in marketing if you have any
Old 09-30-2009, 05:09 PM   #259
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGM2SSRS View Post
Ted,send him a pic of your fan. I think he will change his mind.
Click on the link inside this link

http://www.jannettyracing.com/dynotuningct.shtml

Given how slow the kits are showing up I would expect a week or 2 hopefully not more than that.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:39 PM   #260
Mod4SS
Resident Expert

Drives: Supercharged 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Yes we will send a kit of 2...
Thank you for stepping up to the plate! The only way to lose in this type of test is to not participate, so we're glad that you came on board.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:13 PM   #261
freemaSSon
Pat @ ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: CGM SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Thank You Hennessy this makes 11

Revolution
ADM Street Received 09-23-09
ADM Race
LMR
TSP
Fastlane
Airaid
Rotofab Received 09-30-09
Cold Air Inductions Inc
Emblempros
Hennessey
I ONLY SEE 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnewberr2ssrs View Post
AMMENDED - But it says a lot to your target market that you were willing to do this because in my opinion a company who comes to this thread, posts, and then backs out appears to be a company that either doubts itself or believes it's better than its customer/fan base and is unwilling to be the down-to-earth company that at least I personally happen to be looking for when I make a purchase decision....
X2 It's time to PUT UP OR SHUT UP!

"There are two types of racers: cheaters...and losers."
Smokey Yunick

freemaSSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:54 PM   #262
GRTONE
Import Killer

Drives: Camaro 2010 2SS and 96 RS
Hennessey is just uncertain of their results, they state a lot of hp on an LS9 ( which is obvious) and then they say... just 14 hp on stock LS3. Well we'll see the results when the test its done. I don't know why Hennessey seems concerned or affraid of the outcome... who knows...
My dealership called me so I could check a new camaro arrival, I went to see it and it was just like the one I had in mind. The BEST thing is that I got the camaro at MSRP and took it out the same day. No waiting period for my car.
GRTONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:52 PM   #263
joelster

Drives: '94 Z28+ '15 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRTONE View Post
Hennessey is just uncertain of their results, they state a lot of hp on an LS9 ( which is obvious) and then they say... just 14 hp on stock LS3. Well we'll see the results when the test its done. I don't know why Hennessey seems concerned or affraid of the outcome... who knows...

He doesn't seem to concerned as in a worried sense. He is dead-right in what he said. There is no magical air intake that will smoke the others. Just about all of the kits that are in this test are basically the same. They will all be within a few hp. If one particular model is down by 5-6 from the others, dyno it again and see it change. They all use a high flowing filter element, and they all smooth out the airflow by eliminating the resonator tubes. The OTR kits are a better design from a performance standpoint, period.

You can dyno a car back to back 10 times in a row, and see the hp changes fluctuate up to about 5hp on a car that dynoes 320-350ish at the wheels.

Unfortuneatly with this test, one or more of the CAI kits will get a higher reading due to this variance. Lets say that for the sake of an argument, pull #3 on the Roto-fab unit hits the high mark and makes the best numbers for the day at 330hp on the nose. The next highest unit hits 329. How many Roto-fab units do you think they will sell? I'd say quite a few. Is this still a fair test? It's not a bad test, but it isn't the end-all be-all of CAI testing. The only thing that is really good about this test is that if one of these CAI kits is simply a turd due to bad placement of the MAF, or too tight of a bend at the elbow, or a crappier filter element, it "should" show up in this test. Then the word would get out.
joelster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:56 PM   #264
Rikarus
I can't tpye!

Drives: 2010 RS/SS Victory Red
this is completely awesome, thank you all for stepping up and participating, and thanks for going to all the effort to do this Jannety!

Can't wait to see the results!
Rikarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:25 PM   #265
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikarus View Post
this is completely awesome, thank you all for stepping up and participating, and thanks for going to all the effort to do this Jannety!

Can't wait to see the results!
I cannot thank Ted and his crew enough,This will probably be the hardest thing he as ever done!

Andy
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:23 PM   #266
alfie43

Drives: S/C 2SS/RS Camaro-6M-VicRed
Send a message via ICQ to alfie43
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelster View Post
He doesn't seem to concerned as in a worried sense. He is dead-right in what he said. There is no magical air intake that will smoke the others. Just about all of the kits that are in this test are basically the same. They will all be within a few hp. If one particular model is down by 5-6 from the others, dyno it again and see it change. They all use a high flowing filter element, and they all smooth out the airflow by eliminating the resonator tubes. The OTR kits are a better design from a performance standpoint, period.

You can dyno a car back to back 10 times in a row, and see the hp changes fluctuate up to about 5hp on a car that dynoes 320-350ish at the wheels.

Unfortuneatly with this test, one or more of the CAI kits will get a higher reading due to this variance. Lets say that for the sake of an argument, pull #3 on the Roto-fab unit hits the high mark and makes the best numbers for the day at 330hp on the nose. The next highest unit hits 329. How many Roto-fab units do you think they will sell? I'd say quite a few. Is this still a fair test? It's not a bad test, but it isn't the end-all be-all of CAI testing. The only thing that is really good about this test is that if one of these CAI kits is simply a turd due to bad placement of the MAF, or too tight of a bend at the elbow, or a crappier filter element, it "should" show up in this test. Then the word would get out.
My thoughts exactly. Can we stop questioning a vendor who may show a little reluctance about sending their product to a tester that is unknown to them and not knowing the validity of the testing procedures. I too would be cautious about sending my livelihood until I was comfortable with the proccess.

My guess would be; you test them all, you will certainly find a top and bottom performer; but they will all be bunched up really close, plus or minus 2-3 hp.
Alfie