Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 1st & 2nd Generation Camaros

Old 11-09-2021, 04:43 PM   #1
69-er

Drives: 2010
T-Tops and Hard Top Structural Differences

I'm at a bit of a conundrum. My wife loves the 70-73 models. She also loves T-tops.

Soooo, do I find a 78 and up and convert it to a 70-73 or find a 70-73 and graft in a T-top roof?

I am well aware of the difficulty of a late to early conversion as far the rear body is concerned although I am not gonna worry about installing the small rear window. I also don't plan on converting the interior.

I am wondering what the structural reinforcements are on a T-top car. If it's just the roof that's reinforced that might be a plus if I can find a T-top roof donor.

I'm not interested in discussing why I would "ruin" a perfectly good car to do this I just would like to get educated on what my options are and what I am up against. Once I get this preliminary research done I can decide if I even want to consider this project. If I can talk her into a non T-top car, problem solved!

Thanks!

Larry
69-er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 11:07 AM   #2
scott's45
Scott's45

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th Anniversary
i love t-tops as well, so i love your project. i watched a car show on motor trend, can't remember the name of it right now (junkyard something), but they put t-tops on a trans am. all they did was cut that part of the roof off a t-top car and put it on the hard top car. they didn't do any other bracing at all. not sure if this would be correct, but that's what they showed on the show.
2012 2SS 45th Anniversary, Hurst short throw shifter, Stainless Power LT headers, high flow cats, SW Retro Chambered 3" cat back, CAI, Heritage grill, tinted windows, red/silver hash stripes, AAC LED sidemarkers, blacked out turn signals/tail lights, splash guards. 402RWHP

scott's45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 06:03 PM   #3
Zspoiler
Zspoiler

Drives: 1979 Z-28 RS Camaro
If you are going to do it there an different structure between the back seat and the trunk.At least on a factory "T" top car .Im not sure on a Hurst car .I would also put a set of frame connectors as well,
Attached Images

Zspoiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 08:20 AM   #4
itsadryheat79

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE (2)79Z28 72RS 67SS 69Z
Send a message via Yahoo to itsadryheat79
Adding a T-Top

I have seen a lot of grafted 2nd gens - both forward like an 80 with split bumper and backwards like the early 70-73 cars with a T-Top. I think if your serious about doing it will depend on what you want the back window to look like and what kind of Tops will you find.

The CnC Tops have a metal plate that was added to the roof for more rigidity and structure. It looks like a capital letter I and I have seen many recently for sale on Ebay.

Adding a cut off t-top was very popular in the 90's thru the early 2000's and they were easily found. I still see them sold as a complete cut off to this day.

There are four kinds of tops - Hurst Hatches, Fisher, American Hatch and Cars and Concepts. Hurst and Fisher tops were done at the factory and American and CnC tops were a custom aftermarket option installed for dealers. These aftermarket tops are rare and hard to find as is the plastic trim and rubber seals. The Hurst and American Hatch Camaro tops look similar, but the American Hatch Firebird ones are a little bigger in size. The easiest way to tell is how the glass is marked. Hurst has laminated LOF glass and American have solid tempered PPG glass in them. The Cars and Concepts are the easiest to tell at 10 feet because the glass is large, and they butt up to each other with no metal roof showing in the middle.

CnC Tops were the easiest to add as a cut off but are rare and expensive now to restore. Most of the trim pieces are different as are the rubber seals. New original replacement parts are not available. You can find trim for sale that is being made with a 3D printer on ebay and you can find how to re-make the seals as a DIY on Fbodywarehouse.com - Super hard to find but mine have never leaked. Good luck whichever way you go!

Last edited by itsadryheat79; 01-04-2024 at 08:31 AM.
itsadryheat79 is offline   Reply With Quote