Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 07-14-2011, 10:30 PM   #85
Moriartii

Drives: 11 IOM 2SS/RS M6 w/Hurst
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyC View Post
I definately am no expert in training dogs, but I am open to suggestions and do want to become a better owner. Just curious, but are you opposed to the shock collar because you see it as cruel or because of inaffectivness?
MannyC-
Good for you in being open. I am opposed to the shock collar because I believe there is a better way to train the dog. I have a hyper Shepard/Boxer mix who I have taken to training. In that training we talked about various methods of training and positive reinforcement always seems to be the best. I believe the use of a shock collar, while it can be effective, its negative reinforcement.

In the case of your pits I believe there is a better way to train them than the use of the collar, what this is I dont know so that is why I am on the side of seeing a good trainer.

Cheers
K
Moriartii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:28 AM   #86
Z28RockStar

Drives: 2SS/RS CGM 6M, 2007 Harley Deluxe
Hope your girlfriend is OK! She may need antibiotics man! those look deep she may need a stitch or two as well! On a lighter note she sounds pretty!

On a more serious note, I don't give a shit what kinda breed or animal it is, where I come from a .44 mag is what solves that shit. Yeah you like the dog. . . whatever, what if your girlfriend and you had a kid and the kid got attacked not another dog.

.44 MAG
Old 07-15-2011, 12:34 AM   #87
Z28RockStar

OH. . . if you're too politically correct and butthurt over my prior statement, veterinarians can also put vicious animals down with a nice tree hugging hippie dope shot that doesn't hurt a bit. It would definitely be a dead animal though were it mine and it did that, hell probably both of them.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:53 AM   #88
Ladybugsmom
Older than I look....

Drives: 2010 VR Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarowguy View Post
You are correct, but a pit is a viscious breed. They are so powerful for their size, they are hard to stop. Beautiful dogs, love them....but I hear people getting hurt more from that breed than any other.
DEAD WRONG!!!!!!!
You hear about it more because when a Pitbull bites, it does more damage and hits the media due to their reputation. The breed that bites the most??? Cocker Spaniel. You just never hear about it in the news because children generally don't die from those bites....

Manny, listen to heRS - I've met her and one of her dogs - he is the most well mannered dog I've ever seen, and I normally am not fond of the kind of dog she has.... May I suggest switching from a shock collar to a clicker? Shouldn't be hard to re-condition your dog to respond to a click instead of a beep.... My German Shepherd did really well with a clicker -and he's hyper as they come, jumpy, and about 85 pounds....
Old 07-15-2011, 01:11 AM   #89
Ladybugsmom
Older than I look....

Drives: 2010 VR Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriartii View Post
That was interesting on the bite strength, I would have thought Pit, ROTT, then Shepard. Turns out is Rott, Shepard, Pitt.

Cheers
k
I watched a show on the Discovery Channel (i think it was that channel) comparing bite strengths - they also added in wolf and shark. You're right - the Rottweiler is the strongest bite in pounds per square inch for the domesticated animals...
I have a Rottie, and she's never bit a person. She bit our other Rottie, and has come close to biting our German Shepherd - but he figured out pretty quickly that she's the boss and runs away if she even looks at him sideways. He runs from the cat, though, too - big baby...
I never breed profile - it IS about the owner and the training. Two of the most viscious dogs I ever met were a Jack Russell and a Chihuahua... They need to respect you as leader of the pack, but not through fear - fear is what leads to aggression. You also need to respect the power these large breeds have, and train them properly...
Good luck, whatever you decide to do...
Old 07-15-2011, 02:04 AM   #90
Jason7
NorCalCamaros.com

Drives: 2010 2SS White
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCamaroFan View Post
I know people protest this, but to me this is what a pitbull is. I wouldn't have one.
And your clueless.......Camaros can be knarly as Shit when in the hands of the wrong owner also, do u hate camaros? See ignorance hurts...

Jason
Jason7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:05 AM   #91
Jason7
NorCalCamaros.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybugsmom View Post
I watched a show on the Discovery Channel (i think it was that channel) comparing bite strengths - they also added in wolf and shark. You're right - the Rottweiler is the strongest bite in pounds per square inch for the domesticated animals...
I have a Rottie, and she's never bit a person. She bit our other Rottie, and has come close to biting our German Shepherd - but he figured out pretty quickly that she's the boss and runs away if she even looks at him sideways. He runs from the cat, though, too - big baby...
I never breed profile - it IS about the owner and the training. Two of the most viscious dogs I ever met were a Jack Russell and a Chihuahua... They need to respect you as leader of the pack, but not through fear - fear is what leads to aggression. You also need to respect the power these large breeds have, and train them properly...
Good luck, whatever you decide to do...
Actually bulldogs have the strongest..
Old 07-15-2011, 02:10 AM   #92
Jason7
NorCalCamaros.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
I'm not going to dance around it. . . take your girlfriend to get an IQ test and reconsider your relationship. Has she ever stuck her foot in a wood chipper to see what would happen?
People freak out in this situation time and time again, all they see is their babies/kids fighting and never believe theirs will bite...

Jason
Old 07-15-2011, 02:11 AM   #93
Z28RockStar

.44 MAG
Old 07-15-2011, 02:15 AM   #94
Jason7
NorCalCamaros.com

Lol
Old 07-15-2011, 05:28 AM   #95
BRAVO29ER
AIM SMALL...MISS SMALL

Drives: Black 2SS/RS
I have a pit and a rottweiler...both awesome dogs. Dogs are dogs... Can't stand people who say you shouldn't have them...BS!!!
Old 07-15-2011, 05:52 AM   #96
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAVO29ER View Post
I have a pit and a rottweiler...both awesome dogs. Dogs are dogs... Can't stand people who say you shouldn't have them...BS!!!
The problem lies in the majority of owners of those types of dogs do it for the wrong reasons. If drug dealers and hood rats breed begles to attack and fight, they would be frowned upon just the same.
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:17 AM   #97
race29
Robin

Drives: 1983 Z28, 2010 2SSRS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybugsmom View Post
DEAD WRONG!!!!!!!
You hear about it more because when a Pitbull bites, it does more damage and hits the media due to their reputation. The breed that bites the most??? Cocker Spaniel. You just never hear about it in the news because children generally don't die from those bites....

Manny, listen to heRS - I've met her and one of her dogs - he is the most well mannered dog I've ever seen, and I normally am not fond of the kind of dog she has.... May I suggest switching from a shock collar to a clicker? Shouldn't be hard to re-condition your dog to respond to a click instead of a beep.... My German Shepherd did really well with a clicker -and he's hyper as they come, jumpy, and about 85 pounds....
we use the clicker too. There are great classes and books on the use of clicker training.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:38 AM   #98
Luny

Drives: Future Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarowguy View Post
Look I know you said at the beginning don't say it's because they are pit bulls. Well I'm sorry to tell you that's the nature of the beast. Most of that breed will end up snapping sooner or later. I think they have something in their brain that when they are in kill mode, it doesn't matter how nice they have been all life....it's programmed in them. Sorry you had that happen. It may or may not happen again. Who knows. I really want a pit bull...but having three young children...I know better.
so that's becuase they were born a pit bull they were born with that in there brain?

What if it was a lab? or a poodle doing this? They are excused because it is not a pit? That theory just makes absolutely no sense. Any large breed is dangerous when that breed wants to be the Alpha dog.

If you know anything about dogs, which you obviously do not with the above programming comment about pits, then you would know that any terrier dog is very tenacious. This goes for anything from pit bull terrier, to Jack Russell Terrier. Once they are locked on to something they do not quit. Not because they are killing machines or because something snaps. This is because as a dog in general another dog will eventually want to dominate. Then put that together with a terrier it just makes it alot more brutal. Google Irish terrier and tell me that dog does not look like the sweetest thing in the world. Put two alpha males of that breed together and it will end up just as bad as a pit bull fight.

It's not the breeds fault. Most of the time its the owners fault for not taking the time to learn about the breed they are taking in. No offense to the original posted however the fact that you stated that anyone who has pitbulls should know that they get very aggressive during play is bad. Yes they are very strong and playful dogs but the problem is you are supposed to stop this sort of behavior. They should not be allowed to rough play or it can quickll escalate into a battle between the two dogs. Believe me I know. I own 2 pitbulls and a jack russell. My two pits have fought before and this was due to my decision to let them do too much such as tug of war games, leave toys out at all times, feed them together, etc.
Luny is offline   Reply With Quote