Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-23-2015, 09:26 PM   #15
DARK AGE 53

Drives: 2010 SS
As happens many times with threads get , so lets get .
Old 06-24-2015, 03:40 AM   #16
scandata

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS vert, Spring Green Edtn
I just do it because I want my car looking as good (or better) than the day I brought it home from the lot. It's also satisfying to look at it when it's a few years old and see the results of that upkeep.

There was a time I felt the same way as the OP - obsessive detailing seemed like a waste of time and money. That was back when my car wash kit was a single bucket, a sponge, and bath towels. But the more I got into it, the more I noticed the minor details that could be corrected and improved upon. Now I have about $500.00 worth of detailing supplies in the shed.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/scandata/sigpic_zpsxmxmbipg.jpg
scandata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:06 AM   #17
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by BkinBlk View Post
I am in no way faulting those of you that spend hours and big $ cleaning, waxing etc. etc. I commend you on wanting and having the drive to do so. But what is the purpose to spend that much time and money cleaning your car? Unless you have a show car. I do buy my cleaning supplies from Walmart and wash the car when it is dirty. And just about any Joe/Josephine off the street probably won't notice the difference from what I do and what those of you that spend hours cleaning yours do. Is spending that much time and money going to make your car last longer than mine? Just some questions and in NO WAY criticizing those of you that do.
Simple reason: it's not for other people. It's for me.

I like having a nice shiny car.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:39 AM   #18
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
I find it therapeutic to wash my car and when it is time for a wax or full detail I like to take the time to do it. I do it because I like to and want my ride which I paid for to look as good as I can get it. I truly believe that a nicely waxed car looks better gleaming in the sun than one that isn't waxed.
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:13 AM   #19
BkinBlk

Drives: 2015 2LT RS
I hear you. I, in no way, was trying to be disrespectful to those of you that do take the time to make your car perfect for you. I do more than just clean my car when it's dirty, which, in having a black car is almost daily. I do spend time to wash, clay bar, wax etc. I take pride in my car as you all do. I do get compliments on my car. And, as one poster said, it is in the prep. My Walmart supplies do a fantastic job. It just may be that my eyes are not as keen as some of yours.
Seven: I was just curious to see why others feel a need/desire to work so hard and spend so much. That was why I asked the questions.
Pickwithaustin: I am a car guy. I have owned a Cuda, Challenger, several Camaro's and a couple of Corvettes. Just being curious as to why, does not make me any less of a car guy. Again, not faulting any of you, and commend those of you that do go beyond to keep your cars as perfect as possible.
BkinBlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:16 AM   #20
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
It depends a lot on the basic condition of a car. If a car has a lot of paint issues and/or considerable wear and tear, then I can see one not wanting to spend a lot of time on a detail. A car that is in mint, new or outstanding condition would warrant one to take the best care of it. People that are inclined to doing their own detail should get satisfaction out of seeing their results; For me the result is the main goal that justifies the pain and punishment that one goes thru in completing a detail.

Even a car that may not be absolutely mint or a car that has some neglect would benefit from a detail. A clean car from a detail more times than not will get more admiration and generate desire than a dirty, uncared for car.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:01 AM   #21
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS A6
Here you go!
http://youtu.be/XUhoERb4klA
Old 06-24-2015, 10:21 AM   #22
Brandon_Lutz

Drives: 2012 Inferno Orange 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BkinBlk View Post
I am in no way faulting those of you that spend hours and big $ cleaning, waxing etc. etc. I commend you on wanting and having the drive to do so. But what is the purpose to spend that much time and money cleaning your car? Unless you have a show car. I do buy my cleaning supplies from Walmart and wash the car when it is dirty. And just about any Joe/Josephine off the street probably won't notice the difference from what I do and what those of you that spend hours cleaning yours do. Is spending that much time and money going to make your car last longer than mine? Just some questions and in NO WAY criticizing those of you that do.
I detail for hours on end because I enjoy doing it. It is one of the few things that when I'm doing it, all the stress in the world is gone at that time and all my mind is focused on is that task. Plus I take great pride in the appearance of my vehicle. When someone asks me why did I spend all this time and then give me the underhanded compliment of it looks better than new with that snide smirk, I take it as a compliment. I then usually reply back with "That's the point".

Also, it's easy for me to ignore those pesky cell phone calls by claiming I can't hear them come in because the D/A polisher is too loud.
Brandon_Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:28 AM   #23
Jackpot

Drives: 2010 camaro ls
great video love the bits and pieces on the applicator and in the wax.
Jackpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:34 AM   #24
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS A6
Crazy ole car guy, the first part about the paint is why I posted it. Plus he's crazy/funny, lol. The paint on that car is good motivation!
Old 06-24-2015, 11:19 AM   #25
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickwithaustin View Post
If you're not a "car guy," you'll never understand.
(and I'd never buy things for my car in a Walmart, eek)
Silly- WalMart doesn't manufacture a thing. They are a retail store. I only use
Meguiar's Cleaner?wax on my 6 year old SS. After a complete wash once or
twice a week I detail a couple panels a week. I refuse to drive my Camaro dirty.
It still look new after 38,000+ miles. Oh, by the way, WalMart sells Meguiar's
products.
From a "car guy"
Old 06-24-2015, 12:27 PM   #26
Fish-man

Drives: too many to say!
I enjoy getting my car nice and clean and shiny.... but I've got multiple cars and cannot spend as much time as I need on just one... so often times stays 'dirty' longer than intended. still looks better than most cars on the road.
Fish-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 04:48 PM   #27
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
What's the thing you do the most to keep your car looking good? Wash it.

You can buy soap at Wal-Mart that will clean your car. This soap will not have the lubricity of a "good" soap, like Adams for example, if it dries on the paint it never spots, it's highly concentrated so a little goes a long way.
And since it provides much more lubrication, you greatly reduce the chances of marring the surface. It does cost more, but if bought on sale using the camaro5 discount code, buying by the gallon, the price isn't that much more for the benefits of using it. Their are other high lubricity soaps on the market as well. Some are cheaper then Adams. None offer a 110% guarantee if you don't like it.

If your not using 2 buckets with grit guards to wash your car, (unless your in a water restricted area) and only using 1 bucket, your re-introducing all the dirt back on to your car every time you put your wash mitt, sponge or whatever your using, back on the surface of the car. Hello swirls. Wal-Mart does not sell 2 bucket with grit guard wash systems.

Lot's of people equate shine with wax, while wax will add some shine to your paint, it's miniscule in what can be produced using a machine polisher. No wax on earth can equal the shine of a corrected and polished finish. Wal-Mart does not sell DA polishers.

Some colors hide swirls and defects better than others, generally whites and lighter colors, however these colors do show iron deposits on the surface to a higher degree. Wal-Mart does not sell any products that remove iron off your clear coat.

Wal-Mart sells drying towels, the Megs water magnet, chamois, the absorber. I'd bet the house that the MM dry me crazy towel used 50x on the same surface against one of these towels, that the amount of marring from drying will be substantially different.
Yes you can buy one of the Wal-Mart one's for as little as $7. The MM is $25. I don't know how much your Camaro cost when you bought it, mine was used and was 25K. $18 more to keep the finish looking great is not much of an investment for the gain.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 06:31 PM   #28
Jackpot

Drives: 2010 camaro ls
Walmart sells leaf blowers witch leaves very little marring.
Jackpot is offline   Reply With Quote