Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-14-2017, 03:49 PM   #1
White2k11RS

Drives: White 2011 RS with black stripes
Trunk seal

Not sure if this is the right place, sorry if it isn't I'm new. I have a 2011 rs that has a series of lacerations in the trunk seal/gasket, causing it to leak a bit. Anyone have any suggestions what to do, or had this happened? Thanks!
White2k11RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:52 PM   #2
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Literally had a trunk water leak which eventually flooded the battery compartment... while my issues was more than lacerations, just be careful because the battery is in the trunk.

My total bill to fix trunk and battery came out to $600 at the dealer :(

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:52 PM   #3
DvKillar

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro 2LS
my 2014 just pulls right off. seems easy enough to replace.
DvKillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:54 PM   #4
White2k11RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
Literally had a trunk water leak... while my issues was more than lacerations, just be careful because the battery is in the trunk.

My total bill to fix trunk and battery came out to $600 at the dealer :(
I already had something similar happen! It was about 2 inches of water in the trunk. I took everything out, including battery and spent 2 days drying it. We have a lot of rain here in the south. While it has not been as bad there still is water getting in. Even after a wash.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:57 PM   #5
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by White2k11RS View Post
I already had something similar happen! It was about 2 inches of water in the trunk. I took everything out, including battery and spent 2 days drying it. We have a lot of rain here in the south. While it has not been as bad there still is water getting in. Even after a wash.
Get those seals replaced and working again! Good luck!

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 06:25 PM   #6
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
Not sure if this is the right place, sorry if it isn't I'm new. I have a 2011 rs that has a series of lacerations in the trunk seal/gasket, causing it to leak a bit. Anyone have any suggestions what to do, or had this happened? Thanks!
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/auto-pa...omponents-scat

the weather striping is only $67.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:54 PM   #7
EMB135Driver
Jedi Master

Drives: Boeing 757/767+2010 IBM 2SS
Quote:
So there are lacerations in the weather stripping and you are looking for suggestions? You could duct tape over the gaps around the trunk, not drive in the rain, drill holes in the trunk floor to drain the water, or REPLACE THE DAMAGED WEATHER STRIPPING.......take your pick.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:37 PM   #8
Kajun

Drives: 2013 1SS L99
If you have a sunroof check the drain tubes. They become disconnected easily.
2013 1SS/RS L99-GPI VVT SS1 - TSP 1 7/8 headers with Borla Touring exhaust - ESS Tuning YSI V7 - Fore Innovations Dual pump fuel system - 1" BMR lowering springs - BMR toe rods and trailing arms - Prothane rear cradle bushings - Yank 3400 Stall -
Kajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:08 PM   #9
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Your car is ruined, sell it.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:14 PM   #10
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
You should be treating all your weatherstrips twice a year to prevent them from drying out. I use Griot's vinyl and rubber treatment but there are a number of other products that work well.
You should also treat the plastic pieces such as your grills, lights, rear diffuser, the tail light covers, dashboard and shelf package, etc.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:31 PM   #11
x.guillory

Drives: '10 2SS Inferno
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajun View Post
If you have a sunroof check the drain tubes. They become disconnected easily.
Kajun, no trunk problems here but I do have a sunroof. Where do I check for disconnected drain tubes? Are they visible from above an open roof? I've never looked for those in any previous vehicles​ I've owned that had a sunroof.
x.guillory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:35 PM   #12
White2k11RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
You should be treating all your weatherstrips twice a year to prevent them from drying out. I use Griot's vinyl and rubber treatment but there are a number of other products that work well.
You should also treat the plastic pieces such as your grills, lights, rear diffuser, the tail light covers, dashboard and shelf package, etc.
Thanks for the advice! I do treat all the plastics with adams products. Never have done the weather stripping, just slipped my mind.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:13 AM   #13
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Some folks reported that the trunk lid wiring cable chafes on the weatherstrip and they needed to adjust that.
Is the damage in the area near the lid cable or is it near the bumper side where packages are loaded in to the trunk?
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 07:29 AM   #14
Junior

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS A6 AGM
Send a message via Skype™ to Junior
Quote:
Originally Posted by x.guillory View Post
Kajun, no trunk problems here but I do have a sunroof. Where do I check for disconnected drain tubes? Are they visible from above an open roof? I've never looked for those in any previous vehicles​ I've owned that had a sunroof.
My drain tubes disconnected on their own and I got some moisture in my trunk. They typically disconnect in the trunk. If you open the lid and stick your head in there, you will see a tube on each side that slides into a boot that dumps right outside the frame. I used silicone to seal the tubes and the leaks stopped.
Junior is offline   Reply With Quote