Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 05-16-2016, 01:21 AM   #1
guerrillakilla13

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Who owns a Tesla? (Model S or X)

Does anybody on here own a Tesla? I was curious as to how much you like the car and if you felt like the investment was worth it?

I know a Model S goes for like, 80k plus but with all the savings and incentives, i'm not sure if that price tag is as bad as it looks. Any thoughts?

I know the Model 3 is coming out, but there's no possible way I can get my hands on one for another 2 or 3 years. Should I just wait for that?

As of right now, the 1LE is my only car and my DD. I'd like to keep it but we'll see.
guerrillakilla13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:53 AM   #2
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
$90k for a relatively fun one. I don't have one, but I've been in them. I think their interior quality is subpar. It's not horrible, definitely better than a Camaro or something, but not $80-$110k nice. In that price range, I'd go Macan GTS/Turbo, m3, rs5, etc before I went tesla.
Old 05-16-2016, 02:55 PM   #3
guerrillakilla13

Expensive for sure, but Tesla is still a baby company just now growing out of their roots. When the Model 3 comes out, I guarantee you Tesla will get alot stronger faster. I saw the interior and thought it was "ok". But man, the model S is a beautiful car, uses no gasoline (which is really, really nice), has a 200+ mile range, and a bunch of cool features that are certainly the future.

I know there's a lot of benefits to buying one, including a 7500 federal income tax credit and the right to use the HOV lane whenever. Makes it hard to look the other way.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:25 PM   #4
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
I wouldn't even consider buying a Tesla for a few more years. They have a lot of growing pains to sort out. Under the veil of PR and being the media's and public's golden child right now is a company still trying to figure out the basics of manufacturing on a large scale.

If you really want an EV, there are other decent options from well established automakers who have the money, experience, and resources to manufacture volume products.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:20 PM   #5
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
I wouldn't even consider buying a Tesla for a few more years. They have a lot of growing pains to sort out. Under the veil of PR and being the media's and public's golden child right now is a company still trying to figure out the basics of manufacturing on a large scale.

If you really want an EV, there are other decent options from well established automakers who have the money, experience, and resources to manufacture volume products.
Not to mention the resale value. It's atrocious.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:47 PM   #6
guerrillakilla13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelyell22 View Post
Not to mention the resale value. It's atrocious.
Good points. i wholeheartedly believe that it'll be sooner than we think before Tesla truly leads the way in the EV department. Even the stuff they have out now is very impressive.

But from what i've heard, the new Model 3 already has over 400,000 preorders. If all goes well, they'll be able to produce MAYBE 200,000 (and that's being generous) by the end of 2017. It'll be awhile before they're readily available.

My problem with other EV's is obvious. They're small, terrible range, weak, and overall would make me look like someone who would never own a Camaro.. Naturally I don't want that. All those other manufacturers may be well established and can mass produce, but Tesla is still one of the best EV's out there.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:40 AM   #7
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerrillakilla13 View Post
Good points. i wholeheartedly believe that it'll be sooner than we think before Tesla truly leads the way in the EV department. Even the stuff they have out now is very impressive.

But from what i've heard, the new Model 3 already has over 400,000 preorders. If all goes well, they'll be able to produce MAYBE 200,000 (and that's being generous) by the end of 2017. It'll be awhile before they're readily available.

My problem with other EV's is obvious. They're small, terrible range, weak, and overall would make me look like someone who would never own a Camaro.. Naturally I don't want that. All those other manufacturers may be well established and can mass produce, but Tesla is still one of the best EV's out there.
"If all goes well." Key words there. Given Tesla's track record with vehicle launches (which again, boils down to lacking the resources and experience to build cars), that isn't going to happen. Those preorders are going to be waiting a looooooooooooong time. Meanwhile GM will have the Bolt EV out this October and Ford is already working on their competitor.

Also your problems with other EVs are pretty unfounded. Cars like Bolt EV aren't as small as say Leaf or Spark EV, the 200+ mile EV range offered by most competitive EVs these days is more than enough for most people's daily commutes, and electric cars are definitely not weak. EVs don't have to funnel all their power through a transmission, so peak torque output is available right at launch, and electric drivetrains have gobs of torque. Spark EV is at 327 lb/ft of torque.

Tesla has done a lot for the acceptance and viability of electric cars, but they still produce pretty sub-par cars for the price. Like I said, under all the media hype is a company that still has a lot of issues, profitability being one of them.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:47 AM   #8
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
I kinda hope they can get the Model 3 launched properly and with few teething issues that normally show up on the first model year launch
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:43 AM   #9
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Definitely a weird car to drive. Absolutely no driver to car nor road connection. Literally instant power as well so it's completely different of a drive than anything else I have ever driven.

I appreciate Tesla's effort but it is still no where near what it could be but like mentioned, they are a baby company and as long as Elon doesn't get carried away with SpaceX and continues doing what he does with Tesla, it will be great! The quality isn't worth the price tag nor is the range. The interior quality is no where near my 2SS nor a car that is near it's price range. The gigantic ipad is pretty cool and GUI but I wouldn't personally buy a full electric vehicle. At least not yet.
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:00 PM   #10
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
1st death of it's kind. I can only speak for myself, I would not be comfortable having my car drive for me.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/tes...ry?id=40277621

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...sis-management
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 02:16 PM   #11
IBM

Drives: '11 2LT/RS IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeDawn View Post
No thanks! V8 all day! Bowtie or Die! Sorry, not interested and never will be at this point because I hate silent vehicles! They're dangerous and they creep up on you in alley ways when you're walking and the only thing you hear is the ground/dirt/gravel that is being pressed against by the tires!

Sure they have a lot of torque and they're fast up until about 60 mph and then you'll catch up, but I simply can't stand the fact that a lot of these dweebs that drive around in the ones that are wrapped in like a Hyper-Orange with a customized splitter actually race em'! Seriously?! Your car has ZERO SOUND so to me, you're a wannabe!

I know I'm being negative here but this is just who I am at this time in my life! I see too many of these things on the road and MOST OF THE TIME my experience with the owners who drive them have been VERY CRAPPY because they feel SUPER DUPER entitled over you (like BMW drivers).

I've seen the inside of a Tesla and I feel that they're fairly nice, but again I'd never drive it even if I was given one. I'd trade it in or sell it right away for a V8 (like the 2016 SS) that can de-activate cylinders to conserve gas in a heart beat!

The more people who "go green" and "go electric" will help encourage the Government to get rid of the V8 (like Europe) plans on doing! Like 2nd Amendment backers, I'm exactly the same when it comes to V8s! I love my V8, I love the sound of V8s and I refuse to jump on the electric bandwagon because it'll only encourage the government to tell you what to do in the future!

Here in the Bay Area it's VERY refreshing to hear a beautiful sounding V6 or V8 on the road! I love it, it puts a smile to my face! Too often I see Tesla's and echo-friendly silent boxes driving around and it's disgusting to me! I'm not for FAKE SOUND from a speaker to produce a fake V8 noise that some cars are able to do now. It's pathetic......
This post sounds like the ramblings of a crazy person, lol
Old 07-11-2016, 02:49 PM   #12
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBM View Post
This post sounds like the ramblings of a crazy person, lol
Definitely wound up tighter than the girdle of a baptist minister's wife at an
all-you-can-eat pancake breakfast.
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote