Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 1st & 2nd Generation Camaros

Old 11-09-2023, 02:56 PM   #1
NoDakZ/28

Drives: 2014 Z/28 CTF
69 Z Tribute Car

Alright so I've been looking for a 69 not 100% a Z since they are outrageous right now, but a 69 in Cortez Silver to match my SIM. So I found this car on a classics finder taking me to Streetside in Nashville.

See link https://www.streetsideclassics.com/v...o-z-28-tribute

I am scratching my head on this for a few reasons, first the car isn't a original paint code 69 cortez silver, it is by cowl tag burnished brown and I understand cars get painted later down the road. The interior is correct via trim tag and the X code makes sense for the later production date in 69. What really worries me is the actual vin tag on the dash, has anyone every seen this? SCHD105685... what in tarnation is this? They also have a "tag" bolted to the top of the cowl with that same number, as well as another that has been painted but I cannot grasp where that is located by the picture. I wanted to get opinions before I actually call them on this supposed vin number, tia!
2014 Z/28 #99008 CTF SIM
NoDakZ/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 11:41 AM   #2
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
IMO this car should be inspected in person. "Tribute" is just a euphemism for fake and I've never been a fan of this trend in the hobby. Remove the Z/28 and 302 emblems from that car and you have a brown car painted silver. Quality of paint job? Any Bondo? True mileage? Who knows. Obviously not a frame off resto as revealed by the pics of the under carriage. They could have at least removed the spider webs. I have no idea about those extra ID tags. This car looks like it was built for an auction. I'm guessing it wil always need attention and it could quickly turn into a money pit. Worth over $50 K? Maybe to somebody in todays market.
Old 11-14-2023, 01:09 PM   #3
Bigtime53

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Did you buy this car? If so I guess you found out what you were asking about. Not knowing exactly but I figure the car was rebuilt either from a boneyard or somewhere and in order to get it ready to sale it had to be issued a new vin number or some kind of ID from the state it is from. I know here the state requires you take it to a highway patrol headquarters and have them inspect the vehicle and then they issue a new vin number and it is attached to the vehicle. Let me know what you found out.
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 03:37 PM   #4
NoDakZ/28

Drives: 2014 Z/28 CTF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime53 View Post
Did you buy this car? If so I guess you found out what you were asking about. Not knowing exactly but I figure the car was rebuilt either from a boneyard or somewhere and in order to get it ready to sale it had to be issued a new vin number or some kind of ID from the state it is from. I know here the state requires you take it to a highway patrol headquarters and have them inspect the vehicle and then they issue a new vin number and it is attached to the vehicle. Let me know what you found out.

I did not, I don't think I could ever buy a first gen without a true vin number. You are correct on cars that require inspections due to no title, that should be stated on their sale add. Just seems sketchy and for such a large classic dealer as well.
2014 Z/28 #99008 CTF SIM
NoDakZ/28 is offline   Reply With Quote