Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 02:32 AM   #15
Tal

Drives: Old
Quote:
Originally Posted by syr74 View Post
I Hardly a smokescreen, while we don't have official numbers as yet the 5.0L powered Mustang GT will be going into production in March, which means the engine is almost certainly slated for a Job 1 date sometime in January. Number coming out now are probably pretty close.
Close enough, Ford's trickling out choice information but there's just to many unknowns to make much of a judgement beyond that Ford is making some much needed improvements to the Mustang's performance. It makes sense for Ford to handle things this way but it also makes it impossible to make much more than guesses about exactly how much of an improvement it will be right now.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:39 AM   #16
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevys View Post
Weight will forever haunt the F5 Camaro. No way around it and no real pratical way to shed it. Zeta equal fail. The engineers did the best they could with what they had to work with but the weight still is too much and everybody knows it. Im still astonished with all they time they had to develop this car its so heavy. GM, you failed miserably.

Ford on the other hand seems to be moving in the right direction. We have reached power levels that I never dreamed about but now weight is the big kicker. I see Ford getting lighter and much sooner. The F5 is a pig but it has big power from the ls3. The ls3 is the saving grace for it. I love the engine but I dont like the car overall and that seems to be my opinion of most GM vehicles these days. Great drive trains with crappy everything else.

The 2011 Mustang could be a hot ticket boys. I dont know the exact numbers but in my old age I honestly think of more than just quarter mile times. The total package means much more. In my younger days I was an all out most power type of person. Thank God, I grew up.

I was thinking the other day and though the 2011 GT500 could weigh about the same as the V6 Camaro. Now, that is sad. Im not trying to beat a dead horse but when your that fat it just wont go away. Im holding out for the F6. I just cant get excited about the F5. Plus, the interior is hideous to put it mildly imo.

The good news is that muscle car wars are on and Ford is in the game for a change. I always give a thumbs up to Maro drivers and usually they do the same back to me. We are all in this together no matter what make you chose. Everybody stay safe and if you want to race take it to the track.
:troll:

Meanwhile he probably weighs 300lbs.....................
Old 09-25-2009, 03:05 AM   #17
Tal

Drives: Old
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevys View Post
Weight will forever haunt the F5 Camaro. No way around it and no real pratical way to shed it. Zeta equal fail.....GM, you failed miserably.
The Camaro sure isn't perfect but you fail at logic 101. I know that the Camaro isn't for everyone, no car is, but that rant was just senseless. Despite that weight the Camaro LT and SS are widely considered the best vehicles in their categories right now with the sales numbers to back it up. The only vehicle in the entire 20-40k sports coupe category that's really competitive stock vs stock, msrp vs msrp is the also brand new 370Z at the opposite end of the spectrum (many would say in a different category given the lack of rear seats). It looks like Ford is going to seriously step up their competition next year, and I'm glad because if they weren't we'd never see those Camaro discounts as I doubt Dodge's new Fiat overlords have any intentions for their muscle cars other than a slow overpriced death spiral.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:16 AM   #18
1bad65
Banned

Drives: 2007 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I'd say Chevy's answer is a small, vicious animal that eats Mustangs. That's been the answer to every Mustang ever made since 1967, and that 7-year production break was just a chance for the Mustang to start catching up. It's no fun if you're beating a dead horse. You've got to let it recover after a bad enough 4-generation beating.
You must have forgot about the 3rd Gen cars. The 5.0s ate up the 305 powered Camaros during the late 80s-early 90s.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:27 AM   #19
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
You must have forgot about the 3rd Gen cars. The 5.0s ate up the 305 powered Camaros during the late 80s-early 90s.
And the 350 tpi motors ate up the 5.0s. Your point?

Anyway the Mustang will bulk up when it adds those extra airbags and body re-enforcements. Plus every other drivetrain part they will have to beef up to withstand the new power.

Remember...

The 5th gen is only about 300-400lbs heavier than a 4th gen, but Ill list it again for those that forget so quickly.

20" rims with tire to boot.
Brembo brakes
14 and 14.5" rotors
IRS
6 airbags
stronger transmission
dual exhaust
better interior/quality
the car is also physically bigger

These things dont come for no offset. Plus it still beats a 4th gen in every performance catagory....and the mustang gt needs to add suspension products and still cant keep up with an SS on a track.

I dont see what the big deal is.

Plus dont expect any major revisons to the ss for at least 2 more years. I dont think GM is ready to eat the cost of retooling an assembly line after just 1 production year.

It may be a lot closer next year for the Mustang folk, there is no way the Mustang is going to blow the Camaro out of the water or anthing magical like that.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:41 AM   #20
Georgie

Drives: Camaro... soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodimus prime View Post

20" rims with tire to boot.
Brembo brakes
14 and 14.5" rotors
IRS
6 airbags
stronger transmission
dual exhaust
better interior/quality
the car is also physically bigger

edit: agree 100%

i don't think it is too heavy. the thing is faster than the GTO and is overall a better car

Last edited by Georgie; 09-25-2009 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:47 AM   #21
Treadstone

Drives: Z51 BABY!
What's funny is that the Challenger is no where in this discussion.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:50 AM   #22
Georgie

i consider the chally just a cool cruiser. if price wasn't an issue i'd consider the SRT8—its got that classic look, but the SS is just the better buy
Old 09-25-2009, 09:52 AM   #23
chappy48

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgie View Post
agree except for the bold... new mustang has a very nice interior. also stang GTs have the duals... they've had them for as long as i can remember...
He was comparing the 5th gen camaro to the 4th gen camaro, not to the new mustang.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:54 AM   #24
Georgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy48 View Post
He was comparing the 5th gen camaro to the 4th gen camaro, not to the new mustang.
ah smacks... shows how well my brain works
Old 09-25-2009, 10:06 AM   #25
meanmike
Account Suspended

Drives: FIRST ON RACE DAY
Quote:
Anyway the Mustang will bulk up when it adds those extra airbags and body re-enforcements. Plus every other drivetrain part they will have to beef up to withstand the new power.
Who say's they are going to have to add any rienforcement's. Yes the airbag's are a given but as far as we know it has all the rienforcement's it need's. And as far as the drivetrain goes mine seem's to be holding pretty good with 650hp with an auto tran's, so again I'm not so sure there are going to be any major changes.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:11 AM   #26
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanmike View Post
Who say's they are going to have to add any rienforcement's. Yes the airbag's are a given but as far as we know it has all the rienforcement's it need's. And as far as the drivetrain goes mine seem's to be holding pretty good with 650hp with an auto tran's, so again I'm not so sure there are going to be any major changes.
Either way I like your avatar.

As for the drivetrain, people rag on the camaro tr606 cause its rated to 420lbft of torque, but we all know it makes well over that with forced induction. But the vette gets the better version. They will do it to stay on the safe side.

As far as saftey, they raised the rollover and side impact standards for 2012, so I would expect them to bulk up the roof and doors at least.

And no I dont have the exact stats, but its the truth.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:17 AM   #27
2010-1SS-IBM

Drives: 1998 Nissan, 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanmike View Post
Based on the GT500's weight, I would guess Ford would say that.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:42 AM   #28
meanmike
Account Suspended

Drives: FIRST ON RACE DAY
Quote:
Either way I like your avatar.

As for the drivetrain, people rag on the camaro tr606 cause its rated to 420lbft of torque, but we all know it makes well over that with forced induction. But the vette gets the better version. They will do it to stay on the safe side.

As far as saftey, they raised the rollover and side impact standards for 2012, so I would expect them to bulk up the roof and doors at least.

And no I dont have the exact stats, but its the truth.
I lick her too.

What are people complaining about, I would love to have that auto tranny in my Mustang, that is the biggest thing I miss about my G8. I know what your saying about the roof and door's but it's already been said that those changes dont have to be made until like 2016 or somewhere close to that. And no I dont completely understand how those thing's work but if the Mustang already has a 5 star side impact rating and rollover then why would they need to make changes there. I'm not saying they wont need to, I'm just saying it does'nt seem likely to me.

Closed Thread