Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-20-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
rewski

Drives: '12 45th 2SS Vert
Clear bra

I did a quick search and only found a few references to this topic. I want to protect the front facing parts on my 45th (bumper, hood, front fenders, A pillar, and side mirrors). I've takes to a few local shops who specialize in clear bra and recommend getting the full hood/fender wrap because of the line across the hood on the partial clear bra.

Anyone do this to their car? I'd like to hear pros and cons. I plan to drive this car and not just park it in my garage and I plan to keep it for a long time. Thanks for any input!

Also just for reference the full wrap quotes for about $1000 and the partial hood with everything else is about $675. Thanks.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.837442,-105.053315
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:27 PM   #2
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
I love mine, and yes, it's full armour. I have full front, full hood, A-pillars, full front quarter panels, side mirrors and 5" strip across top of window. make sure they go around the stripes, not over it. Quotes would be about right.

Pros, search and find out how many are complaining about all the paint chipping on the front of the car. Clear bra will take a rock at 100mph and not hurt the paint.

Con, clear bra has been on since Dec '09, haven't found a con yet, still looking for one.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:40 PM   #3
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
I have the Avery Nanofusion clear bra applied to the front facia, the mirrors and the gills. It cost right around $900.
If you didn't know it was on it, you'd never be able to tell unless you knew where to look and looked from close up.
Best investment so far.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:43 PM   #4
PalmCoastg35

Drives: Camaro RS 2010; On Order SS2 45th
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
I love mine, and yes, it's full armour. I have full front, full hood, A-pillars, full front quarter panels, side mirrors and 5" strip across top of window. make sure they go around the stripes, not over it. Quotes would be about right.

Pros, search and find out how many are complaining about all the paint chipping on the front of the car. Clear bra will take a rock at 100mph and not hurt the paint.

Con, clear bra has been on since Dec '09, haven't found a con yet, still looking for one.
I have installed Venture Shield clear bras on all of my vehicles, Honda 2009 Coupe (POS), Camaro 2010 RS and I have not had a bit of trouble with it. I used a guy called Sunbuster's in Melbourne, FL. He is a true professional and he will be doing my 45th when it arrives.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:46 PM   #5
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
I have a clear bra on mine. It seemed expensive when I did it, but I am sooooooooooo glad I did. No chips on the nose or gills like a lot of others report. Mine has been on the car for over a year and a half and still looks new. You can barely tell it's there unless you get very very close.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:11 PM   #6
djkingpin

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Camaro Convertible
I have this installed as well, full front, hood, a-pillars, along with rear quarter panels, and rear rocker. Super happy with it!
djkingpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:23 PM   #7
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
I kinda wish Id had bought it for mine but in 10 yrs, if you have a clear bra on it, the paint underneath will be a driff color than unprotected paint. Ill just repaint mine when it gets too bad. Not like itll take away from the value of the car by repainting plus I'll have thicker paint than factory

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:01 PM   #8
KIZE
www.gkiser.com

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, Auto, Summit White. R
Clear bra works. Period. You can see I. My auto-sig where I have ut. I elected not to do the entire hood. So that's been fine. No marks on my hood. There are two blemishes on the bumper where something popped up and hit it. The blemishes ate only on the clear bra. So it's doing it's job. Great stuff, I highly recommend it. My price was also around 675 without the hood.

Roto-fab CAI, GMPP exhaust with tips, Pistol Grip shifter with paddle switches, 'Chevrolet' aluminum kick plates, Aluminum Bow Ties, ClearBra front bumper/facia + side views + gills + behind door handles. SS floormats. www.gkiser.com
KIZE www.gkiser.com
KIZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:17 PM   #9
rewski

Drives: '12 45th 2SS Vert
Regarding the decals on the hood...I had a long discussion with an installer yesterday. We put some pieces over the hood decals and it definitely made the matte grey on my 45th glossy. Is there actually a problem with installing over the decals? I figure cutting around the stripes would keep the matte looking right but would the stripes actually provide any protection?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.837059,-105.053742
rewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:33 PM   #10
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
I kinda wish Id had bought it for mine but in 10 yrs, if you have a clear bra on it, the paint underneath will be a driff color than unprotected paint. Ill just repaint mine when it gets too bad. Not like itll take away from the value of the car by repainting plus I'll have thicker paint than factory
That is simply untrue. the paint will be exactly the same color as the rest of the car as it lets light pas through. The only difference is the covered paint will be as perfect as the day the film was installed... no scratches, chips, or swirl marks.
htp autoworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:36 PM   #11
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewski View Post
Regarding the decals on the hood...I had a long discussion with an installer yesterday. We put some pieces over the hood decals and it definitely made the matte grey on my 45th glossy. Is there actually a problem with installing over the decals? I figure cutting around the stripes would keep the matte looking right but would the stripes actually provide any protection?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.837059,-105.053742
A good installer will NOT cover the stripes up. I typically make a custom pattern to go around the matte stripes. Its not hard to do if you know what you are doing. There is also a matte finish film to go over those stripes or matte finished surfaces.

Vinyl does not offer much protection but the matte finish vinyls are thicker than some of the vinyls used so it should be fine left alone. Being on top of the hood will help it out a lot as well... so I wouldnt worry about the stripes up there being unprotected.
htp autoworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:48 PM   #12
kiteman

Drives: 2012 45th Camaro, 2SS/M6
honestly i would just get the front bumper and side mirrors done. you have to realize while going 70mph, the only truly vertical wind-facing painted surface on your car is that bumper and the side mirrors.

i have never gotten a clear bra, but every car i have ever owned has been dark in color and the only part of the car where the paint shows its age is the front bumper. any small chips and scratches that occur on the hood or the side of the fenders can probably happen anywhere on the car just as easily.

does anyone know where i can get this done in the DFW area?
kiteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:53 PM   #13
Noodle SS

Drives: 2011 BMW 328XI, 2012 Camaro (soon)
Any chance some of you with the bras can post some close-ups? edges etc.? Just want clarification where you have all said it's virtually unnoticeable unless u know it's there. Thanks!
Noodle SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:13 PM   #14
zkdreads

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS V6
yes clear bra is a GREAT investment. when u do get bugs they are HELLA easy to damn near just wipe off. i got mine for $600 install with 5 year warranty. You wont be disappointed
zkdreads is offline   Reply With Quote