Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 11-11-2008, 07:13 PM   #29
Legend
Hello!

Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
I've used Zaino on my indigo metallic paint for 3 or 4 years now...never had a problem with it!!

This paint color may be as hard to keep clean and shiney as black is...but when it is clean...she can shine!!

Last edited by Legend; 11-11-2008 at 08:43 PM.
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:20 PM   #30
fldrummer
"Black Ace"

Drives: Supercharged 2010 SS, 2016 Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank99ta View Post
OK, here you go.. First off, all microfiber towels, sponges, rags, etc.. 1)Wash the car with Dawn and rinse it well 2) clay bar the whole car to get rid of all contaminants 3) polish the paint. This is what makes the difference. When you have a black car, you use a good polish like Menzerna intensive polish with an orange pad followed by Menzerna's final polish with a yellow pad to REMOVE, not fill in any swirls, etchings, or other imperfections in the clear coat. In order to properly use these polishes, you have to invest in a porter cable. This is available at Home depot, Lowes, or any detailers site. Trying to remove swirls in the paint by hand is virtually impossible and you will end up putting more scratches in then you take out. Once you've completed this step, your car will look like wet black paint and smoothe as silk. Now you're ready for step 4) apply a sealant. This will protect your car in the long term like 6 months or so depending on if your car is in the garage or exsposed to the elements. The sealant will help protect the clear coat you just polished. You can stop after the sealant, but I usually follow up with a nice carnuba wax. The carnuba gives that final wet look. I would add a coat of carnuba every month or so. There is the recipe for a show quality black car. Maintenance will be washing once a week and plan on doing this whole process 2 to 3 times a year or less depending on if its a daily driver. For more detailed info, I would go over to autopia.org. Those guys over there know their stuff and that is where I learned. When people see my black Trans Am, they just stare in amazement because there is no swirls or spider webbing in the paint. So basically, black is a PITA. Its a love hate kind of relationship. I ordered a black 2ss/rs and there are days that I'm thinking about changing to cyber gray. Hope this helps..
I've seen pics of some jobs done by a pro detailer using this Menzerna stuff--incredible results, even with limited time used! I just want to know where you can get this stuff. Anybody know?
fldrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:25 PM   #31
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
wow..revival thread..
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:42 PM   #32
LSP2010
IM A GURL

Drives: 2010/2SS
all i do is go through a laser wash i say a year later when the paint starts to wearoff ill be doin that
3100, Order available to sequence- n/a
3300, Order sch. for production--- 21may09
3400, Order broadcast------------ 28may09
3800, Order produced ------------ 2jun09(2G1FT1EW8A9114199)
4000, Available to ship
4200, Shipped--------------------9june09

ITS HERE 18JUNE09
LSP2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:23 PM   #33
World of Wheels

Drives: 2SS Spaceship
I have had 6 balck cars and currently own 3 and have painted/ buffed a countless number of cars. If you are talking about a new car a clay bar should not be neccessary yet. DO NOT take a buffer to that car unless you know what you are doing, If you do always use 3m products in a 4 step process. As for drying I use a shammy followed by a microfiber towel and no "fuzzys" are ever left behind. For wax use old cotton tee shirts followed by a quick pass with micro fiber towel. You might want to try meguiers (miss-spelled) show car glaze (great stuff). To keep clean use detailers mist w/microfiber every cupple days (as long as the car is not too dirty). I'm shure I am forgetting something but if the thread is too long nobody will read it. Don't use dawn, spend the 7 dollars and get a good wash with wax in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
World of Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote