Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 09-14-2014, 07:28 PM   #1
LoneCynic

Drives: 2015 BVM 1SS/1LE
Trying to get the facts straight on 18 inch rims.

I've seen conflicting reports everywhere I look regarding 18 inch rims on a SS Camaro. Some claim to have fit them, some say they won't clear the brakes, some use them only on the rear for drag radials, some say they require a spacer to fit, I just want to know what is available, and if what I am going to attempt to accomplish with my Camaro is doable.

I have a 2015 1SS 1LE ordered through my dealership. It is going to arrive in late October sometime. I live in Ohio, winter comes early, supposedly cold temperatures are very bad for the stock tires that come on the car. Therefore, I need to get educated quickly on what I need for cold weather driving.

Let me start by saying I also own two pickup trucks that are both four wheel drive and have adequate tires for times when there is snow on the road. I am not asking for winter tire suggestions for the Camaro, it will NEVER be driven when there is snow and salt out, ever. It will be driven when roads are clear, but the temperature is very low. Like Fall, early winter and early spring when it can still get very chilly, yet there is no snow present.

What I am trying to accomplish is this: 18 inch rims, same size on all four corners. All season tires with good tread and high milage estimate. (Something similar, but a little better than what is currently on the 2011 1LS Camaro I currently own, but will be trading in for the new one.)

I want to be able to do full tire rotations with this set. They will be used for daily driving on the street most of the year, with the staggered stock 20's with sticky tires saved for the summer months only + potential track usage.

Please respond if you know if such a setup that can work on the car I'm getting, and if you can provide me with the guide for dummies information regarding what size/width/offset/whatever I need + tires sizes for keeping the correct overall diameter so the speedo isn't off.

Some additional information:

-I don't want to use spacers

-I don't need this set to be trackable or anything, this is trying to get an inexpensive setup going for daily use. There is already an abundance of information available regarding replacements for the stock setup when that set needs replaced for summer driving and track use.

-I will restate that I don't need winter tires, this car will never see snow or salt.

-I understand what the stock setup is for, and will be keeping that set for the intended purpose. So please don't give me drive-by flaming for wanting something simpler on a car designed for the track. I'm buying the 1LE mostly for winding country road driving, and liked how it handled better than the basic SS when I test drove both models.

-I want to go with 18's if possible because they will allow for more tire sidewall. In Ohio, there are high curbs everywhere, and I'd prefer not to bend or ruin rims in the pothole laden roads around here.

If you have read to here, didn't skim, and are able to advise me based on the information I have provided, then you have my thanks in advance. I do appreciate the help of those who take the time to help others achieve their goals on this forum. If this is doable, please also make suitable recommendations if you have done something similar. Thanks again!
LoneCynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:35 PM   #2
LoneCynic

Wow, 123 views so far, and no one can answer this? Must be a true enigma. Some claim they have 18 inch rims that fit and clear the brembos on an SS, and some claim it isn't possible. Would really like to know if someone can help me out. If it is, maybe point me to a set of wheels that will fit? If it isn't, maybe tell me some 19 inch ones that might suit my needs?
Old 09-15-2014, 11:31 PM   #3
ytown87

Drives: C6 Corvette
Front rims off a C6 Grand Sport on all four corners would fit and look good.

Or hold off til some Z/28 replicas hit the market
2008 C6 m6. Carbon creations front/rear carbon fiber wodebody fenders. Carbon fiber hood carbon fiber roof hoop carbon fiber zr1 extreme spoiler. NW 102mm tb. Ported intake manifold. Cometic .040 head gaskets. LG motorsports G6x3 cam. DSX flex fuel sensor. AEM methanol kit. Z06 brakes. Ebiach sway bars. ZR1 rep wheels and Nitto Invo tires. Monster stage 3 twin disc clutch. MGW short shifter. Corbeau race seats. Gforce race harnesses. SLP loudmouth 2 mufflers. Carbon fiber exhaust tips. RPM stage 4 transmission and Stage 3 rear diff. 3.73 gears. Vararam cai. Kooks 1 7/8 headers and x-pipe.
ytown87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:10 AM   #4
LoneCynic

Awesome, that's a start. So what are the measurements on those rims? That way I'll know what would fit and what wouldn't. Thank you for your response, much appreciated.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:28 AM   #5
ytown87

Drives: C6 Corvette
the Z06 and Grandsport front rims are 18x9.5 +40mm. Should bolt right up. Someone else can chime in if I am missing anything.
2008 C6 m6. Carbon creations front/rear carbon fiber wodebody fenders. Carbon fiber hood carbon fiber roof hoop carbon fiber zr1 extreme spoiler. NW 102mm tb. Ported intake manifold. Cometic .040 head gaskets. LG motorsports G6x3 cam. DSX flex fuel sensor. AEM methanol kit. Z06 brakes. Ebiach sway bars. ZR1 rep wheels and Nitto Invo tires. Monster stage 3 twin disc clutch. MGW short shifter. Corbeau race seats. Gforce race harnesses. SLP loudmouth 2 mufflers. Carbon fiber exhaust tips. RPM stage 4 transmission and Stage 3 rear diff. 3.73 gears. Vararam cai. Kooks 1 7/8 headers and x-pipe.
ytown87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:33 AM   #6
Trob85
Svt lol

Drives: 2011 ss inferno orange blown
Anything can fit with the right amount of money call forgeline they can help you out
Old 09-16-2014, 08:41 AM   #7
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
OEM 18" Camaro wheels will not fit without extensive spacers. The 18x9.5 (+40) Corvette wheels will NOT fit on the front without modification to the upper strut "knuckle". They will fit on the rear without any mods required, other than tying back your emergency brake cables. There are several 18" aftermarket wheels that will fit both front and rear over the SS Brembo brakes. Forgestar F14 & CF5 and TSW Nurburgrings & Interlagos are probably the most popular 18" fitments.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:12 PM   #8
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
Like Keith said the fronts only fit with clearancing and I ran a 5mm spacer up front too.

12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:52 PM   #9
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ytown87 View Post
the Z06 and Grandsport front rims are 18x9.5 +40mm. Should bolt right up. Someone else can chime in if I am missing anything.
I have these as an extra set for drag racing, fit perfect.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:46 AM   #10
Revenant

Drives: '11 1SS LS3 and '90 240sx hatch.
I run 18x9.5+40 Nurburgrings on all corners on my SS. If you have the brake pad "roller skates" they have to be trimmed off to fit. I also run an Akata 3mm spacer up front with the upper knuckle trimmed. Don't be worried about the light trimming, running 18's are a great upgrade and i'll never go back to 20's.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:48 PM   #11
LoneCynic

This trimming, would it be avoidable with specific rims? (Tying back the e-brake line is fine, that seems simple enough to do.)

BMR: Those TSW wheels look very nice that you mentioned, will those fit without any modifications or spacers needed?

Last edited by LoneCynic; 09-18-2014 at 04:45 AM. Reason: Missed one post that I wanted to respond to, edited instead of double posting.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:42 AM   #12
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneCynic View Post
This trimming, would it be avoidable with specific rims? (Tying back the e-brake line is fine, that seems simple enough to do.)

BMR: Those TSW wheels look very nice that you mentioned, will those fit without any modifications or spacers needed?
Yes, the TSW's will fit fine as long as you purchase the sizes/offsets spec'd out for the 5th Gen Camaro. I believe the TSW website has a fitment calculator, and will tell you what the correct front and rear sizes are. I seriously considered the Interlagos at one time....before I got my 17" Welds.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:53 AM   #13
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
I don't know if this helps, but the smallest rim I can put on my 2013 Regal GS is 19". 18's won't fit. Are the brakes smaller on an SS in comarison to my GS?
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 04:33 PM   #14
LoneCynic

Is that 18x9.5 with 40mm offset? Those interlagos look nice, I am seriously considering them if they will fit, same size all around without trimming or spacers needed.