Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-17-2009, 08:34 AM   #1
Tran
Administrator

Drives: 2010 Camaro of course....
Post GM bulletin on Perceived Paint Mismatch on Door and Quarter Panel Paint Appearance

As reported on homepage.

In the months since the 2010 Camaro has gone on sale, there have been some photos posted which have led members to point out what appeared to be paint mismatches between certain body panels on the car. GM has always maintained that there is indeed no paint mismatch and what was being observed was simply a "perceived" mismatch in color/shade due to the viewing angle and the Camaro's panel geometry. To better assuage Camaro owners (and potential owners) and to formally address the issue, GM has now issued the following bulletin:

GM Service Information
Document ID: 2346049

#09-08-51-004: Information on Door and Quarter Panel Paint Appearance - (Sep 10, 2009)

Subject: Information on Door and Quarter Panel Paint Appearance
Models: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro

On the 2010 Camaro, the shade of paint on the doors may appear to be different than the shade of paint on the quarter panels. This appearance varies in severity based on different viewing angles and light conditions. This perception is more apparent with certain colors. Use this bulletin to help the customer understand the design of their vehicle.

Paint Process

At the time of vehicle manufacture, the complete sheet metal body of the car is painted at the same time (the body, hood, decklid and doors). The panels (doors, hood and decklid) are attached to the vehicle and in the proper position when it goes through the plant paint process. All of the panels receive the undercoat layers and top coat finishes using the same material, application process and final bake process. This continuity of process ensures a uniform paint application to the entire vehicle. The result of this extensive process is a seamless paint match over the entire vehicle. The only major exterior panels that do not get painted during this process are the bumper fascias. The bumper fascias receive a flexible paint application using a unique process. All of the paint used in the paint process is matched to a paint color standard, ensuring that the colors are consistent from batch to batch. This color standard also ensures consistency from vehicle to vehicle.

Vehicle Design

On the Camaro, the door to quarter panel angle match is the design intent. The geometry of the quarter panel provides a sporty definition and highlights the depth of the design. It is intended to show the color variation created by angling the body panels a few degrees.

Addressing Customer Concerns

Use the following photographs and descriptions to demonstrate to the vehicle owner that what they are seeing on their vehicle is not a color mis-match, but a intended design feature.

Name:  bulletin1.jpg
Views: 5308
Size:  16.8 KB

This first photograph shows a paint test panel finished in "Wildfire" metallic. The white arrow points to the paint "standard". This is the paint sample used to ensure color consistency.

Name:  bulletin2.jpg
Views: 5209
Size:  14.5 KB

This photograph shows the same paint test panel with a slight crease in the center, creating an angle in the panel similar to the Camaro door to quarter panel relationship. The finish on the right side of the panel has "shifted", creating a different hue of the same color. Note the arrow shows the paint standard on the left side of the paint test panel in the same position as the first photograph.

Name:  bulletin3.jpg
Views: 5174
Size:  15.5 KB

This final photograph shows the same paint test panel described in the second photograph. In this photograph, the arrow points to the same paint "standard" used in the first two photographs but it has been repositioned to the right side of the paint test panel. Note the paint "standard" has shifted along with the finish on the paint test panel.

** Official Bulletin Document attached **
Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:47 AM   #2
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
It's all in your head people...move along now.....
Old 09-17-2009, 08:55 AM   #3
GaryTucker

Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
Actually, it's all in your perception as shown. I figured we would see something like this once I saw that dealers were repainting cars and blending the paint...which is actually "fading" the paint...remember those wonderful fade paint jobs of a few years ago? That's what blending is...only with the "same" two colors. This leaves an area in your paint that is "thicker" overall, but has a thinner finish coat due to the need to overlap the paint and not end up with a perceptible stopping point. I never been a fan to this on a car that will see alot of detailing...on a cobalt that is a point a to point b car...its fine, but start buffing out a blended car and you may have issues if the painter didn't do a very good job.

The new metallics react quite a bit differently than their older non-waterbased brethren. The other issue you bring into the mix is a tint-coat versus a colored paint. I'm not sure what the base color on the RJT is, but I am betting it is white. Velocity yellow on Corvettes is this way and you do see what appears to be a "mismatch" at times just depending on what angle you are standing at.
GaryTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:56 AM   #4
ssump29
LOL at most people here.

Drives: 2005 GTO,2006 M6, 2007 300 Touring
We already know this, but there were a few die-hard self proclaimed body shop paint guys whom said no this isn't the case. Basically just people trying to bash the car in anyway that they could. Those topics died once people just ignored them.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:03 AM   #5
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
I had mentioned this perceived mismatch twice on Camaro5 but no one seemed to care. It is the angle of the 1/4 panel "bulge"at the rear of the door that causes this perceived paint problem. If there was an inch or two of 1/4 panel after the door ends, before the bulge, this would not be a problem.
I doubt G.M. will ever correct this as it would be a very costly redesign.
myold88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:10 AM   #6
ssump29
LOL at most people here.

Drives: 2005 GTO,2006 M6, 2007 300 Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
I had mentioned this perceived mismatch twice on Camaro5 but no one seemed to care. It is the angle of the 1/4 panel "bulge"at the rear of the door that causes this perceived paint problem. If there was an inch or two of 1/4 panel after the door ends, before the bulge, this would not be a problem.
I doubt G.M. will ever correct this as it would be a very costly redesign.
theres no need to correct it. They intended it to be that way. They only put this bullentin out for all the dummies who couldn't understand that different angles will make the car look different and hollered from the rooftops that its bad painting. Thats what they wanted to do, otherwise they wouldn't be using metallics.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:12 AM   #7
ddunerider
So-Cal Race team!!

Drives: Tahoe LTZ,2010 2SS/M6 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to ddunerider
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
Old 09-17-2009, 09:12 AM   #8
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65

Well, that puts an end to quite a few threads full of complaining.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:25 AM   #9
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Well, that puts an end to quite a few threads full of complaining.
Not really, perception is actuality. Buyers are going to be pissed that their brand new car looks mismatched intended from the factory or not. This topic will never end.
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:31 AM   #10
aldaran

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssump29 View Post
theres no need to correct it. They intended it to be that way. They only put this bullentin out for all the dummies who couldn't understand that different angles will make the car look different and hollered from the rooftops that its bad painting. Thats what they wanted to do, otherwise they wouldn't be using metallics.
I agree. There are a lot of dummies out there that don't understand that angles and light variances change a colors brightness or contrast.
aldaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:31 AM   #11
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
Personally, I like to see the different shades of color when I look at my car from many angles and lighting conditions. Some have paid $1400 per quart for special paint that does this to a much higher degree.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:37 AM   #12
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
cool, thanks Tran
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:38 AM   #13
67MellowYellow

Drives: 2010 SS/RS ABM M6
I assume some metalllic colors are worse than others to exhibit this effect. I've not seen all the colors yet in person, any idea which colors are the worst offenders?
67MellowYellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:39 AM   #14
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
I have an IOM and can see slight difference between car and front facia. Most noticable is the difference between car and mirrors. Only in the bright sunlight when car appears to be on fire with pearl and gold metal flake.
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote