Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-27-2010, 06:05 PM   #15
i007spectre

Drives: 2016 2SS, 2008 HHR ECTO-2H
they dont make a comp series for the v6 do they, i dont see one anyway. all i see are street series.
i007spectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:18 PM   #16
FISHTAIL

Drives: Sedan & 2SS / RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by eynigush View Post
Very nice, you went with the Street Series. I went with the Comp Series.

--Eddie
Quote:
Originally Posted by i007spectre View Post
they dont make a comp series for the v6 do they, i dont see one anyway. all i see are street series.

eynigush had installed the Comp series on his V6 Camaro before he traded it in for the SS. ask him were he got them.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:22 PM   #17
i007spectre

the street series is fine for me, i was just wondering cause all the comp series i found were for v8 ss. hey when its not windy could you take some more video, maybe one from the inside of the car. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:50 PM   #18
FISHTAIL

Today I took the car on the highway and I noticed a slight drone at about 1700-1900 RPM.
Since I usually drive my Camaro on weekends and mostly do city driving I hadn't noticed this before. 1700-1900 is around 70 mph. It seams to be fine up to 67 and past 73 mph.

Doesn't bother me or the wife I just crank up the XM Lol, but figured I should mention it thought.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:53 PM   #19
i007spectre

Im having a hard time deciding between getting just the axle back or going for the cat back, the price difference is about $300. I want better/deeper sound, but id like more power and the cat prolly gives more since it opens up more of the exhaust with bigger pipes.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:38 PM   #20
FISHTAIL

If you can afford the extra $$ the catback is the way to go. From what I've seen from personal experience and what I've read in the forum, to eliminate the V6 raspines completely you got to replace the resonator. In this, Magnaflow and Corsa do a pretty good job, but Magnaflow seems to have the deeper sound of the two.

I love driving with the windows down and the sunroof opened just to enjoy the sound
I finally have the sound to back up the looks

The other day I passed an SS and the driver looked king of puzzled, probably couldn't figure out why my V6 sounded better than his V8.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:08 PM   #21
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by i007spectre View Post
Im having a hard time deciding between getting just the axle back or going for the cat back, the price difference is about $300. I want better/deeper sound, but id like more power and the cat prolly gives more since it opens up more of the exhaust with bigger pipes.
I don't think you will get any noticeable power difference going from 2.25" pipe to 2.5" with this motor... especially if you car keeping the stock cats and manifolds... and then it will probably be minimal... until perhaps you add some type of FI...

There was a LOT of testing with the 4.0L V6 Mustang which had 2.25" down pipes to a Y pipe which then goes to a single 2.5" pipe for a single exhaust. Dynos showed minimal gains going from the single 2.5" pipe to 2.5" dual exhaust... so moving from dual 2.25" to dual 2.5" would most likely show the same minimal gain...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:31 PM   #22
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHTAIL View Post
If you can afford the extra $$ the catback is the way to go. From what I've seen from personal experience and what I've read in the forum, to eliminate the V6 raspines completely you got to replace the resonator. In this, Magnaflow and Corsa do a pretty good job, but Magnaflow seems to have the deeper sound of the two.

I love driving with the windows down and the sunroof opened just to enjoy the sound

The other day I passed an SS and the driver looked king of puzzled, probably couldn't figure out why my V6 sounded better than his V8.
The raspiness is the nature of the V6, not the resonators... I think the reason you have less rasp is because you've "muffled" it... Hard to tell from your video clips, due to the wind noise.. but definitely sounds like your setup has a much more "muffled" sound than other systems... Doesn't have the louder, free flowing rev sound... I'm not saying that is a bad thing, just my observation and opinion....

So looking at the diagram... the H-pipe and resonators are replaced what appears to a 3rd muffler... I know it's not... but can't think of the proper name... but I think it definitely is going to quiet things down more than the resonators.

I don't know about the mufflers but they appear to be chambered and guessing probably going to be on the quieter side...

So like I've always said, exhaust sound preference is a very personal choice and if you like your system that's great! However, I think the real reason you have less rasp is because the exhaust is a less aggressive, quieter setup... best way I can describe it is "muffled"...

Think we need to line up all the different systems at Camaro FEST.. record them all with the SAME camcorder and measure them with the db meter from the same distance...
Old 01-30-2010, 11:54 PM   #23
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHTAIL View Post

Have you listened to the video of the Magnaflow axle back installed? Sure its just some quick revs sitting still, but thats usually when the raspiness rears its ugly head the most...but when under a load the raspiness usually isn't quite as bad (from what Ive seen). Well, I thought it also did not seem to have much rasp at all. It just didn't sound quite as low as your catback....but then again it wasn't far off, and when you take into consideration all of the variables (camera/microphone used, wind noise, surroundings, etc.) maybe there isn't much of a difference at all.

Thats what I'd like to know, but just never probably will know.

In that case, i ABSOLUTELY LOVE scrming's idea above about taking sound clips all from one source! Actually getting everyone to meet in one place and do it might be difficult to pull off, but it would make for the ultimate exhaust video comparison.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:59 PM   #24
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Oh, and one other thing about the power gains...I've noticed the guys getting the flowmaster exhaust are noticing noticable power increases. While that exhaust also seems to have a nice low tone at idle and low rpms, when under a load or reving it certainly does have rasp....hence I'm guessing its a more free flowing exhaust than these magnaflows....and thus explains the power gains.

I really like the idea of getting the gains that FM guys are talking about, but I think I'd rather have a good sound than bigger gains at this point.

So my question is, have you noticed any differences in power or torque at all, or is it more of just a noise change?
Old 01-31-2010, 06:30 AM   #25
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Have you listened to the video of the Magnaflow axle back installed? Sure its just some quick revs sitting still, but thats usually when the raspiness rears its ugly head the most...but when under a load the raspiness usually isn't quite as bad (from what Ive seen). Well, I thought it also did not seem to have much rasp at all. It just didn't sound quite as low as your catback....but then again it wasn't far off, and when you take into consideration all of the variables (camera/microphone used, wind noise, surroundings, etc.) maybe there isn't much of a difference at all.

Thats what I'd like to know, but just never probably will know.

In that case, i ABSOLUTELY LOVE scrming's idea above about taking sound clips all from one source! Actually getting everyone to meet in one place and do it might be difficult to pull off, but it would make for the ultimate exhaust video comparison.
I think we'll have a pretty good collection of systems at the FEST! We just all need to get together at some point...
Old 01-31-2010, 06:35 AM   #26
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Oh, and one other thing about the power gains...I've noticed the guys getting the flowmaster exhaust are noticing noticable power increases. While that exhaust also seems to have a nice low tone at idle and low rpms, when under a load or reving it certainly does have rasp....hence I'm guessing its a more free flowing exhaust than these magnaflows....and thus explains the power gains.

I really like the idea of getting the gains that FM guys are talking about, but I think I'd rather have a good sound than bigger gains at this point.

So my question is, have you noticed any differences in power or torque at all, or is it more of just a noise change?
Would love to see some independent dyno testing... no one, including me, is immune to the placebo effect!!! I could have sworn I picked up some nice gains with my JBAs and a tune... but the dyno proved me wrong... all in my head! LOL! So needless to say I tend to be the Doubting Thomas when folks say "WOW, my new mod made a big performance gain!" And that's why i will continue to buy dyno time and run my car at the track...
Old 01-31-2010, 08:20 AM   #27
FISHTAIL

Quote:
Yes there is more Torque for sure, you can feel it at take off. The rear wheel cut loose on wet pavement and they didn't before.
Ones I get my Airaid installed I will do a dyno to see what I got going on at the rear wheels.

For the record I regret posting those crappy videos, all it's done is confuse everyone. I wasn't going to do it but since I knew that it was going to be a while before I could do a better one, I post it anyway.

Lets just pause on the video till I can get a better one.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:28 AM   #28
FISHTAIL

Best mod! I will get a red 2SS RS replace the badge with RS so no one in my neighborhood will notice and pick up 100 more HP and be done with it.