Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 04-25-2012, 09:52 AM   #1
linc400

Drives: 2012 2LT 45th anniversary convert
Door drop and odd steering issue

I picked up my new 2012 convert a week ago, and it is going back to the dealer tonight for some odd issues.

First, I know the window drops a little and goes back up when opening the door of a convert. But my doors also drop a little. It didn't do this when I first got it, but now both doors do. There was another convert on the lot that did this with with the passenger but not driver door. I steered away from it because of that, and now mine does it with both doors.

Second, having had used cars all my life, I was checking to make sure it drove straight, no alignment needed. It seemed fine. But then all the sudden I noticed that especially on one more bumpy street, it would suddenly take off to the left or right. I had to exert a little effort to steer it back to straight again, not much, but I don't think any effort should be needed. It doesn't seem to do it all the time though.

Anybody else experience any of these issues or have suggestions? I searched the forum a little, but I am new here and the forum is huge and I didn't see anything about these issues.
linc400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:56 AM   #2
Hannibal

Drives: Camaro SS & ZL1
The steering issue is normal for the wide tires. Grooved and/or uneven pavement causes these cars to pull. If you want a true test, get out on some flat ground and then let the wheel go and see if it pulls.

The door drop, well, I have no idea. I have a coupe and my doors open and close straight as an arrow.
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
SS King

Drives: a Panty Dropper
The window indexing is normal as for your door dropping I couldn't help ya there
Old 04-25-2012, 03:57 PM   #4
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
Sounds like hinge bolts were not properley torqued.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:43 PM   #5
geaux_tigerss

Drives: 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4
Yeah, get used to the bump steer and tramlining.
geaux_tigerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
linc400

Ok, I just got it back last night. I guess the steering is normal as you guys said. Tire pressure, alignment, everything ok.

As for the door drop, they said (and I checked) that it doesn't do it with the windows down. So the door drop is a result of the window drop and raise. I feel like an idiot for not checking it with the window down, but I never leave it open when I leave the car.

I guess I will just see if it remains the same or gets worse. If it gets worse, I still have plenty of warranty time left.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:30 PM   #7
SimpleGreen

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by linc400 View Post
Ok, I just got it back last night. I guess the steering is normal as you guys said. Tire pressure, alignment, everything ok.

As for the door drop, they said (and I checked) that it doesn't do it with the windows down. So the door drop is a result of the window drop and raise. I feel like an idiot for not checking it with the window down, but I never leave it open when I leave the car.

I guess I will just see if it remains the same or gets worse. If it gets worse, I still have plenty of warranty time left.
What your feeling is probably the door shaking when you open it from the window dropping down that half inch. It felt a little funky to me too for the first few days. It gives you the impression that something is wrong with the door because the window auto rolling down that 1/2" shakes the door enough that a person could perceive it as a problem. With my windows down though she's solid as a rock. I wouldn't sweat it. There's nothing actually moving but the window, it's just messing with your hand/head, lol.

And yea, same thing the guys said about the tires. You gotta actively drive a car with that kinda rubber on the road, lol.
SimpleGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:35 PM   #8
linc400

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleGreen View Post
What your feeling is probably the door shaking when you open it from the window dropping down that half inch. It felt a little funky to me too for the first few days. It gives you the impression that something is wrong with the door because the window auto rolling down that 1/2" shakes the door enough that a person could perceive it as a problem. With my windows down though she's solid as a rock. I wouldn't sweat it. There's nothing actually moving but the window, it's just messing with your hand/head, lol.

And yea, same thing the guys said about the tires. You gotta actively drive a car with that kinda rubber on the road, lol.
Yes, I guess it's normal. But I still have the warranty just in case.

I know the 1960's Lincoln convertibles drop and raise the window when opening the door on convertibles. I don't remember them shaking and dropping like this when you open the door. I will have to check that out the next time I see one at a show. Of course it doesn't change how mine will act. Just curious.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:36 PM   #9
SimpleGreen

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
All of them do it. I opened many a Camaro door at the Chevy dealer. Keep in mind, absolutely nothing is moving but the window. I can shake my whole car by lifting up and down on the door, lol. They are on their good. Your just feeling the shake of the window through the door handle. Old Lincolns probably didn't do it because I'd bet the door was significantly heavier and absorbed all the motion.
SimpleGreen is offline   Reply With Quote