Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ADM PERFORMANCE
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-28-2014, 05:53 PM   #1
gen=5

Drives: 13 ZL1 vert blac fastlane/LPE 750
opinions starting in cold weather

Living in houston its for the most part always above 45-55 degrees in the winter..My ZL1 spends most of its time just parked,as i just dont drive it,and again will mostly starting thinking about selling it come march as i just purchased a ranch,and the roads leading in and on it are either clay or hard packed dirt mix,so i got a new truck as well..
Anyway since its not driven i go out to the garage and start it up and let it idle for 10-15mins once a week,now that the weather is in the 20's and will kill a batt pretty quick how do you guys feel about starting Your Zl1 in cold weather ?
I am of the mind set that the oil is thicker and the metal is colder so the clearances have gotten smaller and starting it in really cold weather can cause extra wear that doesnt happen in hotter weather.. does anyone else think the same way ?
I do not have a plug for a charger in the storage unit its parked in,otherwise i would yes take that route..thanks
Old 01-28-2014, 06:16 PM   #2
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
If you are not needing to drive it in the cold I would not start it on really cold days just to run it. You will create more wear on everything when it is cold and the oil is thicker.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:31 PM   #3
BigBoyBlue
Go NY Giants & NY Rangers

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
I wouldn't let it run that long, unless I drove it. I just start it up and let it run for a minute. I think that is enough. If the battery seems weak when I start it up then I may let it run a little longer.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:33 PM   #4
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
I don't know, I drive mine every day regardless. Hasn't blown up yet, and I guess this is the third time this year it's been down in the 20's or lower so far. Only time I didn't drive was in the single digits, waited until it warmed up a little that day.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:46 PM   #5
shaffe

Drives: 2012 Focus
Haha 20 is cold. It was -17 when I got up this morning lol. 20 would be a heat wave with the cold we have had here in Chicago lately lol

If your not planning on driving it, I wouldnt both starting it. No point in starting it unless you are going to drive it. If its gonna sit for a few days though that might be a different story
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:07 PM   #6
gen=5

Drives: 13 ZL1 vert blac fastlane/LPE 750
It been driven twice for about 20 miles since middle of nov I think..I have just been starting it and letting it run for a 20 mins so water doesnt build up in the system and not get burn off if it doesn't run long enough... If its been lower then 40 i just left it alone, 20 is a heat wave lol its gone from 70 to 25 and back to 65 in a week in this crazy place...
Old 01-28-2014, 08:08 PM   #7
LuckyZL-1
Ragtop Rocket!!!

Drives: Black on Black Convertible
I just keep mine on a tender and don't mess with it unless I'm gonna drive it. When I do drive it I let it idle till engine warms up and the oil temp rises a little off of being pegged.
ADM custom cam, LPE stage 2 heads with dual valve springs, LS-3 ported throttle body, LPE 2 piece pulley, LPE overdrive balancer, 10% overdrive pulley, ported supercharger inlet, ADM race intake system, stainless works 1-7/8 headers, Injector Dynamics injectors, ADM heat exchanger, ADM dual fuel pump system, ADM exhaust switch, ADM 3 tunes tuning package.
744rwhp 727rwtq
LuckyZL-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:24 PM   #8
DavidW

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Vert Auto IOM
Nothing good will come from starting it just to idle it, get a battery tender, or charger if you're worried about that, maybe drive it once every couple months on a day where its clear and dry if it doesnt have tires to handle cold temps, I on the other hand have started and drove my Z in nearly -40, but I do have an oil pan heater on it and leave it plugged in during the winter
DavidW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:08 PM   #9
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
gen=5. why dont you enjoy that car and drive it? man, a black ZL1 vert, how do you keep from not driving it? wow. put some of those flaps, either GM or ZL1 on it to keep rock chips from damaging it. but, man, i would be hard pressed to see such a nice car.
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:08 PM   #10
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
hard pressed to SELL such a nice car, is what i meant
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:16 PM   #11
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
It is bad to start a car up and not drive it and let it warm up thoroughly. If you are going to start it, you need to take it out and drive it and get it thoroughly warmed up so it purges all the moisture out of the engine block. If you just start it briefly with out it really getting warmed up all you're doing is producing a bunch of condensation that sits inside the engine and the oil. If you're worried about it just get a battery tender and keep it plugged in so that it doesn't run the battery down.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:20 PM   #12
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '17 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO6 Bryan View Post
It is bad to start a car up and not drive it and let it warm up thoroughly. If you are going to start it, you need to take it out and drive it and get it thoroughly warmed up so it purges all the moisture out of the engine block. If you just start it briefly with out it really getting warmed up all you're doing is producing a bunch of condensation that sits inside the engine and the oil. If you're worried about it just get a battery tender and keep it plugged in so that it doesn't run the battery down.
^smart dentist^
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:08.35 VIR Full
'15 Z/28 #325 black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full 1:44.74 Summit Point Shenandoah Circuit (sold)
'12 ZL1 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:13 PM   #13
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
...synthetic oil, synthetic fluids otherwise to a degree, no worry about wear. I have had mine almost 2 years. Last winter here was mild. Fire it up and let it idle every now and then. Nasty cold here this year, bitter and brutal. Minnisota like temps <normal ones>. Let it run and warm up for an extended period of time periodically.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:20 AM   #14
DavidW

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Vert Auto IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
...synthetic oil, synthetic fluids otherwise to a degree, no worry about wear. I have had mine almost 2 years. Last winter here was mild. Fire it up and let it idle every now and then. Nasty cold here this year, bitter and brutal. Minnisota like temps <normal ones>. Let it run and warm up for an extended period of time periodically.
synthetic fluids do not stop cold start up wear, they still get thicker, they still have the same rating as non synthetics, 5w30 means its viscosity when warm then cold, I always hear synthetics are not as thick when cold but then that would mean they are not true to their rating (for example: thats like saying a synthetic 5w30 is comparable to a 5w20 conventional) which would make no sense
DavidW is offline   Reply With Quote