Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-22-2013, 05:39 PM   #43
CH3VYRULZ

Drives: Camaro Red Hot 2016 2SS
Honestly have only had positive remarks, except this one time filling up at the pump. This old cranky guy driving a rusted out Ford f somethin or other asks me if I got the super charger, I said I got the v6 ,it was fast enough for me. He said " Ya, fast nuff to gitcha dead " Whatever lol
Old 08-22-2013, 05:41 PM   #44
SteelShadows

Drives: 2020 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSport2011 View Post
i honestly never understood why people go out there way and say ''oh it's a v6'' just unreal. when I see a v6 i just say cool and move on. I can't imagine going out my way and trash talking someones ride in front of them.
I personally don't care if someone gets a V6 or a V8, as long as they are happy with their car. Ironically enough I got the opposite. When I was talking to a couple coworkers about the Camaro I ordered one responded "You got the V8? Why didn't you get the V6?"
SteelShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:50 PM   #45
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
Nothing negative for quite a while, but when I first bought it mostly, "it's only a 6" and crap about the bailout.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:58 PM   #46
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
One guy said you should have got the"big block" what ever that is?

Another its too quiet(I already have a loud car my 99 TA)

You should have got a Challenger they are nicer.
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:10 PM   #47
Predator2U

Drives: 2011 SGM 2SS/RS M6
I had a two drunk dudes walk up to my SS at a show-n-shine (both holding beers) and the first guy looked into my engine compartment with a dazed look on his face. He slowly glances over at his buddy and says “will you look at that there 350, man they sure look different now-a-days”. His buddy just nodded and they staggered on…
Old 08-22-2013, 06:14 PM   #48
ben3350

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT ABM
OP, those don't really seem like back handed compliments to me, they just sound like insults...

Sometimes I'll get the occasional riff on my car, but very rarely if ever have I had a complete stranger come up to me and say something mean about my car. Just seems like a completely rude thing to go up to someone you don't know and talk down about their car. The only strangers who come up to me compliment and tell me how much they love the color (Aqua Blue Metallic, by far the biggest amount of compliments I get are about the color).

As a 2LT automatic owner, of course I will sometimes get "shoulda got a v8". Or "why don't you trade it in for a manual" or "your car is awesome... except its an auto". But really thats it.

Honestly the only people who have ever said anything remotely negative are people who don't have as nice a car. One of my buddys friends who drives a 2012 Shelby GT500 would not stop going on about how great he thought my car looked especially with the color. It seems like those with nicer cars than me have more respect for my car than those than don't. Its usually people driving hondas and whatnot that give the snarky comments. Now most of the time people with crappier cars will compliment, but if there is a negative comment, it's from a guy in a 1995 civic or something like that.
ben3350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:14 PM   #49
robotfighter

Drives: Black 2011 Camaro 2LS
I got a lot of "You should have gotten the v8 - I would have gotten the v8" crap. And jealous friends with fat wives (and crappy lives) that drive mini vans of course accused me of going through a midlife crisis. Oh, and as expected, told me that Mustangs are far superior. Wait, there's also the comment that only scumbags drive Camaros.
robotfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:20 PM   #50
Sky

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RSky Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbow89 View Post
I get "you bought a v6!?" All the time and my response always is just "yup" and when they try to make a comment about my manhood or the crime I've committed I always have two responses depending on some factors but usually the first is "college chicks have no clue what a v6 or v8 are", or I go with the "it's ok when you decide to buy a car ill make sure I go with you so I approve of your decision"
I usually get the same. My response however is usually "I'm sorry, where is your 5th gen Camaro again?" And actually I have never had to use another one. Although I have a few others if need be .
Old 08-22-2013, 06:23 PM   #51
pincoin
Camaro owner since 1982

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS-RS Conv IBM L99
PA is full of jealous people who spend all their money on beer, cigarettes, and gambling.
The minute you have something maybe a little nicer than theirs, the bad comments start.
I know as I lived it the last 49 years in this state. I cant wait to retire, and move south.
pincoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:26 PM   #52
ben3350

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT ABM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotfighter View Post
I got a lot of "You should have gotten the v8 - I would have gotten the v8" crap. And jealous friends with fat wives (and crappy lives) that drive mini vans of course accused me of going through a midlife crisis. Oh, and as expected, told me that Mustangs are far superior. Wait, there's also the comment that only scumbags drive Camaros.
Or as Jeremy Clarkson says, "Camaros are driven by murderers."
ben3350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:31 PM   #53
CFrance

Drives: 2013 ZL1, 2013 LS
Hadn't had too many negative things besides the usual "oh its a v6" but...

I parked a couple spaces from a really nice new bmw sedan the other day at the mall, while I was walking away a guy and his kid go by in a mini van.
The kid is pointing at the bmw saying it's a cool car, the dad stops him, points at my car and says "no, THAT is a cool car".
CFrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:37 PM   #54

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew9440 View Post
I would first like to address that I did a quick search before posting and I didn't see any back-handed compliment threads. I figured I would start one. Every week at local car shows I run into somebody or hear someone making a back-handed compliment.

One time I am wiping the bugs off the front of my car when a fella walks up to me and says "hey buddy how come you didn't get an old Camaro" I say "because I wanted this Camaro" to which he replies "everybody has one of these Camaro. I must have seen 5 Camaro's that look exactly like yours on the way here today".

Another time I see a kid across a show field point to my car and sprint a good 50 yards across the field with his friends. He comes right up to the front of the car, looks at his friends with disappointment on his face and says "sorry guys...... it's only an SS, my bad."

Had a Corvette elitest come over and ask me about my car. he goes "hey have you ever drove your car back and forth to work". I respond "yeah I drive it whenever I can" he lowers his head into one of this hands wipes his face and says "thats just a god damn shame son.... a god damn shame"

all in all I get this garbage all the time and I was wondering what kind of back-handed compliments any of you guys have heard about your car.
Taking your car to a car show, you gotta expect a few critiques, not always positive....

Sometimes I just walk around like my car isn't mine and listen in to what people say...lol...Never heard anything really bad....Some like it, some don't...no biggie....

Best jab I heard from the crowd at the awards at the end of a show was when a newer Charger was one of the winners....Someone chirped out from the crowd...."Hey, how long did it take you to build it?"...

...Thought that comment had some validity...lol....Makes you think....a basically stock car off the show-room floor isn't gonna be an instant winner all the time and immune from some negative comments....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:38 PM   #55
65TIMM

Drives: 2013 Camaro
The only time I get negative comments on the car I have is at work. Its about 50/50 (positive-negative), and it doesn't matter what vehicle I've owned (mustang and vette in the past) . Although for some reason the Camaro has gotten more snide remarks, like its not a 69 (never said it was) and the " in a few years it will be a piece of crap". Last week a gal at work said her Honda si is so much better. And I'm really low key and don't talk about what I drive unless I'm asked. Hmmmm go figure .
65TIMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:47 PM   #56
Scooter11

Drives: 2013 SW 2LS
I run into jealous messes all the time! People talk crap about my car, but then they find out that I know the Junkers they drive, and that shuts em up
Scooter11 is offline   Reply With Quote