Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 07-05-2012, 11:52 AM   #43
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Thanks, Gramps. What a long strange trip it's been . . .

I've had the chance to read a little more of what's in this forum and I think that mostly we're trying to define the 'character' of the original Z/28 and only partly how to keep any new version true to that heritage. Those who have to ask what 'character' is, probably wouldn't understand.

I happen to think that it's more than just meeting any of the various performance measurement targets or even that 'driving involvement' is available. Such a car should demand involvement and not be so easy to drive that anybody could just jump in and drive it well. A rapier rather than a broadsword, perhaps.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:58 PM   #44
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Is a BOSS LS a "rapier"?

8.18 lb/hp. Very able mechanical-only suspension. Rev-able n/a engine. BIG brakes.

1SS/1LE with an extra 50-75 hp would be a worthy match, I believe. Result would be "badge-worthy", I believe.
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:39 PM   #45
Mikes SS

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
We all know damn well that GM has already stuffed an LS7 and and LS9 in a Camaro just to see what the numbers look like. Both might be way to close to the corvette to release to the public or you would have already seen your LS7 powered mag ride Z/28 already.
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:43 PM   #46
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Is a BOSS LS a "rapier"?

8.18 lb/hp. Very able mechanical-only suspension. Rev-able n/a engine. BIG brakes.

1SS/1LE with an extra 50-75 hp would be a worthy match, I believe. Result would be "badge-worthy", I believe.
My girlfriend's step dad has a BOSS and the exhaust from the factory sounds awesome. The Camaro needs a better sounding exhaust.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #47
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
My girlfriend's step dad has a BOSS and the exhaust from the factory sounds awesome. The Camaro needs a better sounding exhaust.
The ZL1/1LE Dual Mode will be just fine, thank you...another parts bin refuge'.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:11 PM   #48
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes SS View Post
We all know damn well that GM has already stuffed an LS7 and and LS9 in a Camaro just to see what the numbers look like. Both might be way to close to the corvette to release to the public or you would have already seen your LS7 powered mag ride Z/28 already.
There's an engine NOT mentioned that's "in the mix", potentially...

"Stay tuned"
Old 07-05-2012, 03:26 PM   #49
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
I could get interested in a 6.0L short-stroke version of the LS7 . . .

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #50
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
Dude, I've owned camaro's of the past (3 of them, one a Z/28) and I've also lost interest in the Camaro since the late 3rd and 4th Gens due to quality and styling. I get what the OP is saying, he's trying to preserve the integrity of the original idea of the Z/28. I could get an LT or an SS, but I would prefer to have a Z, and by the end of 2014, I will know if it will be a Z/28 or a ZL1, either way I'm getting a Z.

Depending on what GM decides in how it builds the Z/28 will have a direct influence on my purchase decision, and for me, I would prefer it to have what these intelligent and knowledgeable gentlemen in this forum that are Zeelievers built the way a Z/28 should be. They aren't telling GM what they are doing wrong, they are telling GM what they SHOULD be doing, big difference. Not awkward at all, just expressing their feeling about what many share, you just don't seem to understand and choose to have your own opinion which is fine, but when the Z/28 comes out I'm sure it will be because of the people who speak up in this and other forums like this.

Take a look at what's happening for the 2013 MY, and look how many people are disliking the look of the MYLink Radio. If you've read the thread for the changes for 2013, lot of negative reviews. Feels like GM/Chevy isn't putting it's best foot forward on certain interior and exterior features, which might affect future sales.

You state the OP is describing a window that he has never seen, but how can you be so sure...just because he doesn't OWN one yet doesn't mean he hasn't experienced it. Your ASSuming things and you know how that goes. The guys in the Z/28 thread make a lot of sense to me, and I'm just an average joe.
Your time here has obviously been well spent. Here's one on me!
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #51
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
There's an engine NOT mentioned that's "in the mix", potentially...

"Stay tuned"
Oh do tell.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:05 PM   #52
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
So much for 2013, the results are in. We are in a HP disadvantage which is the only thing we were trumped at. LSA hasn't been physically upgraded from it's inception. I don't want to go off topic. 2cnd chance has a valid point about Ford's raw approach to doing battle. Shall we follow a more pugilistic doctrine and pour on the power, and not worry about EPA surcharges? Damn the torpedo's, full speed ahead... May I ask what's on the table for '14? What will Ford do to up the anty, more HP? Improve brakes? Improve suspension? Perhaps. They can't go much farther in the HP department, and we have much room growth in that area due to LS engines being underpowered as produced from the factory. Chassis, suspension, steering etc.. we have have an edge with, and should be able to keep it going forward. Get the Chevy Skunk Works to tweak an LS7 and put in a L28/Z28 platform and stay track oriented without adding on items to please everyone across the consumer market in order to get weight down a bit?
I gotta say, there's nothing like the winding, screaming sound of a beefed up LS7. That's HP music. Back in the day the 1.5 HP to 1 cubic inch was the racers goal with N/A motors as I recall. Can you imagine that if we could get N/A LS7 at 640 HP? Yes I could....
Old 07-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #53
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Again, don't get me wrong the ZL1 is AWESOME!
Ford has a MORE than paid for the Mustang so they could and did throw everything at it (to compete). It's the best it can be and still be streetable, but it will soon be replaced. What is up Chevy's sleeve to battle back? How about a "Carbon ZL1" with an LS9 and carbon fibre front fenders & trunk (painted body color) to both add power and lose some weight. And the obligatory Z28/LS7 with optional MRC or Pedders Kit. Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Last edited by 2cnd chance; 07-05-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:49 AM   #54
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Your time here has obviously been well spent. Here's one on me!
Thank you Seeking knowledge makes one thirsty...for more.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:46 AM   #55
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Oh do tell.
It's a hot lil Spanish number called El Tea Juan...
Old 07-06-2012, 08:36 PM   #56
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
It's a hot lil Spanish number called El Tea Juan...
When does the LT1 release?
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote