Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 02-09-2014, 12:34 PM   #1
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
Full Length Headers, NPP and VIR

If this post is a repeat, I apologize in advance.

I am signed up to run at VIR on Apr 5 & 6th. My first time tracking the 1LE and I am giddy with anticipation.

However, when reading the rules when I signed up, I noticed that there is a 93db limit imposed at VIR. If you exceed this, you can be asked to leave.

Well, I was thinking of getting full length headers and high flow cats before Apr. I was looking at either the kooks or the American stainless set. I want to keep my NPP exhaust.

I have read on other posts here that full length headers, high flow cats and NPP can be quite a loud setup.

Does anyone know if this will exceed the 93db limit at VIR? Has anyone run at VIR with this setup and been harassed by the track officials over noise?

Just curious. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:53 PM   #2
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
I had the same concern when i ran Laguna seca back in March.I am stock though,and these 1LE's are quite capable just the way they are.I would keep stock,til after just to be sure.There was a stock ZR1 that got black flagged,the decibel there was 92.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:12 PM   #3
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
Thanks. I'll just stick with the basics I was planning before the race:
- catch can
- braided steel brake lines
- motul 600 brake fluid
- race pads (brakes)
- seperated clutch reservior
Old 02-09-2014, 02:36 PM   #4
Schluney

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
I don't have headers so this is just a thought! but with a adm exhaust controller you might be able to keep it closed and stay under the limit.. maybe someone with headers can answer this
Old 02-09-2014, 02:53 PM   #5
B-_-RAD
Banned

Drives: ...
I would say yes it will be over. It's pretty loud. Flaps closed would probably work though
B-_-RAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:17 PM   #6
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post
....There was a stock ZR1 that got black flagged,the decibel there was 92.
One would have to beg the following question then.
What is the dB reading on a stock SS with NPP exhaust at WOT?? To rephrase it differently, how close are we to that 93dB limit out of the box with the NPP?

If I was to take an educated guess here, I would say there is no way in hell my (still) stock 1LE with NPP exhaust, is anywhere near 93dB.
I've had more people tell me it sounds quieter then they would of thought...and I don't think it was meant as compliment either.

Plenty of cars out there that are louder out of the box imho.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:39 PM   #7
GR8WHITE1

Drives: camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-_-RAD View Post
I would say yes it will be over. It's pretty loud. Flaps closed would probably work though
Not really sure if that would work either as the flaps only quiet down the sound under 3k rpm after that it sounds like all hell broke loose. I just did ported tb, long tubes w/cats and cai intake and it is mean at wot. I just built my own version of a mild to wild controller for 1/3 the price and switching between the two is night and day but really only while cruising or under a certain rpm. To the original poster I say do it and after the install take it to a muffler shop and have them weld in a magnaflow resonated x-pipe where the factory H pipe is and you definately shouldn't have a problem. Are you going with cats or cat delete pipes?
GR8WHITE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:48 PM   #8
B-_-RAD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8WHITE1 View Post
Not really sure if that would work either as the flaps only quiet down the sound under 3k rpm after that it sounds like all hell broke loose. I just did ported tb, long tubes w/cats and cai intake and it is mean at wot. I just built my own version of a mild to wild controller for 1/3 the price and switching between the two is night and day but really only while cruising or under a certain rpm. To the original poster I say do it and after the install take it to a muffler shop and have them weld in a magnaflow resonated x-pipe where the factory H pipe is and you definately shouldn't have a problem. Are you going with cats or cat delete pipes?
Pretty sure with a mtw you can force the flaps closed all the time, could be wrong though.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:24 PM   #9
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Sure, it would be significantly quieter with a flap over-ride switch...but what would be the point of ordering the NPP exhaust, only to choke it with flaps closed, all the time, in a real, legal road race, on the circuit, when every HP is working for you ?
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:33 PM   #10
B-_-RAD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
Sure, it would be significantly quieter with a flap over-ride switch...but what would be the point of ordering the NPP exhaust, only to choke it with flaps closed, all the time, in a real, legal road race, on the circuit, when every HP is working for you ?
So you don't get black flagged....... You're missing the point.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:48 PM   #11
Stock Boy

Drives: 2014 1LE
Hey Steve. I've run at VIR numerous times with different organizations and have never heard of anyone having issues with noise issues. There have been some cars there that sounded like artillery, they were so loud. In fact there's a Stock car (like, race car) that runs in my group. When this car passes you on the track it physically hurts your ears, even with a helmet on. If this beast isn't having noise issues then there's not going to be any problems with what we bring.
Stock Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:37 PM   #12
Msmall143

Drives: Camaro
I'm be shocked if long tubes and cats cause you any issues. It would drastically limit the cars that could run vir

I think they are wanting to avoid folks with cut outs.

I had lt's on my 1le and it was loud but not bad. I have a video on YouTube. Just google 1le dyno pfadt
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:50 PM   #13
tw78911sc

Drives: 14 1SS Camaro 1LE, NPP, Recaros
+1 VIR is right next to BFE, I've seen full tilt Cup cars there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock Boy View Post
Hey Steve. I've run at VIR numerous times with different organizations and have never heard of anyone having issues with noise issues. There have been some cars there that sounded like artillery, they were so loud. In fact there's a Stock car (like, race car) that runs in my group. When this car passes you on the track it physically hurts your ears, even with a helmet on. If this beast isn't having noise issues then there's not going to be any problems with what we bring.
tw78911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:00 PM   #14
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw78911sc View Post
+1 VIR is right next to BFE, I've seen full tilt Cup cars there
If it's like Laguna Seca, they have different limits depending on the day. I ran Laguna Seca in my stock Viper and got black flagged for 93.9 dB. I think my Camaro is louder with its longtubes, high flow cars and ARH muffler but I'm not sure.

It also depends on location of their sound meter, or if the day is foggy and air is damp.
Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote