Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-13-2011, 03:27 PM   #15
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
The TC is definitely something I will be doing down the road.
Do this before you get a cam... should be step #1. Then figure out a cam. It's sorta like all these blowers going on cars w/ 22's and no way to put the power to the ground.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:31 PM   #16
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
PQ:
Read this:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34774

There will a quiz tomorrow.

If you are really after more power with the cam, you may want more lift than a VVT cam can give. (Do I sound like I know what I'm talking about? Nah...)

Where is Spike anyway? Oh, Spike!
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:42 PM   #17
acowherd

Drives: 2010 2ss/RS 4l80. 2009 2500 HD
I would be worried about the DOD lifters.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/FNSS-...75028626000379

FNSS Racing!
acowherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:57 PM   #18
Huggerorange73
Banned

Drives: The REAL C5
Send a message via AIM to Huggerorange73
PQ,

Just a couple of things.

A VVT cam requires a skilled tuner to make it fly....given that the fact you couldn't find a local guy good enough to tune just your blower, this could be a big factor in your final choice.

VVT cams are going to run on the smaller side due to the lifters, so you're going to take a hit on power. However, the smaller cam would ding you less on the boost hit.

LS3 conversion costs more, but has less headaches and is simplier to work with/tune.

Also....match your cam choice to your stall..HAVE A PLAN! This is very important in the big picture. Smaller VVT cams could very well fly without a stall, larger cams will without question require a stall to be driveable. Don't do one without the other.

Last, but for sure not least ( and this one will sound crazy, but hear me out ) You're sitting at 470 RWHP right now and can't put it down, but yet you're chasing even more HP. Here's what I suggest....work on your suspension set up including a nice sticky tire. If you can put down what you're using, you just may find that you already have all the power you need.

I'm only throwing that last bit of advice out there, because that's exactly what I'm doing right now. I'm sitting at 470 RWHP and wanted to slap a blower on top....but after I thought more about it, adding more power would just compound the launching problems I already have. I went out and bought bushings/trailing arms, etc and as soon as I can I'm getting set of drag radials then heading back out to the strip.

Just some things to think about as you make your next move brother!
Huggerorange73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:59 PM   #19
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Is your transmission tuned yet?
Not yet. I still have to get Ted a Datalog plus I gotta get Doc in J-Ville to put my tune on my SCT tuner. Then send the file to Ted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangeruss View Post
Weren't there some issues with your tune? What PSI did you end up at?
The tune is fine. I suspect I have a small vacuum leak still. I ordered the hoses from Magnuson. Should take care of it.

Ended up with 7.3psi boost.

Quote:
Do this before you get a cam... should be step #1. Then figure out a cam. It's sorta like all these blowers going on cars w/ 22's and no way to put the power to the ground.
Right.

I'm fine on the street. I have no real reason to try and launch from a dead stop. I do have occasion to punch it from 55 or 65 mph. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
Where is Spike anyway? Oh, Spike!
I better call him before he disowns me. This is right in his wheelhouse. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by acowherd View Post
I would be worried about the DOD lifters.
Nah..... I tuned it out. It never activates. Flow is never changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggerorange73 View Post
PQ,

Just a couple of things.

A VVT cam requires a skilled tuner to make it fly....given that the fact you couldn't find a local guy good enough to tune just your blower, this could be a big factor in your final choice.

VVT cams are going to run on the smaller side due to the lifters, so you're going to take a hit on power. However, the smaller cam would ding you less on the boost hit.

LS3 conversion costs more, but has less headaches and is simplier to work with/tune.

Also....match your cam choice to your stall..HAVE A PLAN! This is very important in the big picture. Smaller VVT cams could very well fly without a stall, larger cams will without question require a stall to be driveable. Don't do one without the other.

Last, but for sure not least ( and this one will sound crazy, but hear me out ) You're sitting at 470 RWHP right now and can't put it down, but yet you're chasing even more HP. Here's what I suggest....work on your suspension set up including a nice sticky tire. If you can put down what you're using, you just may find that you already have all the power you need.

I'm only throwing that last bit of advice out there, because that's exactly what I'm doing right now. I'm sitting at 470 RWHP and wanted to slap a blower on top....but after I thought more about it, adding more power would just compound the launching problems I already have. I went out and bought bushings/trailing arms, etc and as soon as I can I'm getting set of drag radials then heading back out to the strip.

Good stuff.

Ya, I plan on getting some 18s and DRs later. Not for the fest though. Of course the cam will be after the fest as well.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:33 PM   #20
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggerorange73 View Post
PQ,

Just a couple of things.

Nailed it right on the head... PQ read this over 3 more times please...

Quote:
Right.

I'm fine on the street. I have no real reason to try and launch from a dead stop. I do have occasion to punch it from 55 or 65 mph. lol
I think what I meant, didn't come across in what I wrote. You can't have a decent size cam without a TC, but you can install a TC separate from the cam, so do it as the first step and get that part out of the way
Old 03-13-2011, 05:42 PM   #21
jsharp
NOW CAMMED & SUPERCHARGED

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black w/ IOM
Mine is in this week for a TC and blower cam via LS3 conversion. VVT will not allow you all of the options a conversion would with cam selection as of now; in the future I am sure more and more will become available. The weak point that most will sway you to a conversion with is the lifters. If you want to be cost effective go VVT and if you want a full selection of options and stronger lifters go LS3 conversion. As is always true you get what you pay for. Also do know there is a VVT cam with and without afm so you can still get a VVT cam and retain AFM through some cams from Texasspeed but there is more power to be had without AFM. Also you will limit yourself even further without a stall as you will have cam surge with larger cams that gain 30rwhp or more and that is a bad feeling so you may want to stay with a smaller cam or get ready real quick to get a TC.
Livernois Motorsports: Maggie 2300 7psi, Livernois 2C cam/L99 to LS3 Conversion, Ported TB, Rotofab w/adm race scoop, adm trans cooler,Kooks headers no cats, Kooks 3" exhaust. METCO breather. Precision 2400 Vigilante TC. Eibach Lowering Springs & Swaybars. BMR Trailing arms, BMR Rear Cradle Bushings, BMR Toe Rods, BMR Differential bushings. Vossen CV3 20's w/ 305 Mickey Thompson @25psi. Zl1 front bumper. OE Zl1 Hood and matte black insert. 556RWHP/500RWTQ L99
jsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:56 PM   #22
acowherd

Drives: 2010 2ss/RS 4l80. 2009 2500 HD
Quote:

Nah..... I tuned it out. It never activates. Flow is never changed.

I was talking about the lifters themselves...During the LS3 conversion you can put in better lifters.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/FNSS-...75028626000379

FNSS Racing!
acowherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:57 PM   #23
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Nailed it right on the head... PQ read this over 3 more times please...

I think what I meant, didn't come across in what I wrote. You can't have a decent size cam without a TC, but you can install a TC separate from the cam, so do it as the first step and get that part out of the way
Fair enough. But what if I want the cam before the stall?

Is there a decision in that it's self? Or just a mild cam either way. I'd rather do the stall later. But I don't want to do anything stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharp View Post
Mine is in this week for a TC and blower cam via LS3 conversion. VVT will not allow you all of the options a conversion would with cam selection as of now; in the future I am sure more and more will become available. The weak point that most will sway you to a conversion with is the lifters. If you want to be cost effective go VVT and if you want a full selection of options and stronger lifters go LS3 conversion. As is always true you get what you pay for. Also do know there is a VVT cam with and without afm so you can still get a VVT cam and retain AFM through some cams from Texasspeed but there is more power to be had without AFM. Also you will limit yourself even further without a stall as you will have cam surge with larger cams that gain 30rwhp or more and that is a bad feeling so you may want to stay with a smaller cam or get ready real quick to get a TC.
I'm leaning conversion but I'd sure like to get the same power, reliability, and total benefit from a VVT since it would be easier.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:58 PM   #24
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acowherd View Post
I was talking about the lifters themselves...During the LS3 conversion you can put in better lifters.
Ah. Right. Yup, I'm leaning that way but I need more info. I still have to get cost and parts lists.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:02 PM   #25
Huggerorange73
Banned

Quote:
Fair enough. But what if I want the cam before the stall?

Is there a decision in that it's self? Or just a mild cam either way. I'd rather do the stall later. But I don't want to do anything stupid.

I'm leaning conversion but I'd sure like to get the same power, reliability, and total benefit from a VVT since it would be easier.
PQ, to do it the right way the cam and stall choice need to be married to each other.

Big cam will without a doubt require a stall.....don't half ass it. If you need to hold off till you can swing both, do that.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:09 PM   #26
jsharp
NOW CAMMED & SUPERCHARGED

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black w/ IOM
Without a stall you are going to limit your cam choice now due to drivability alone (cam surge) So you are leaving power on the table that you could have with a mild/mod cam with a stall. If you are going to wait on a stall decide how long until you think you may get one and work real close with the cam suppliers and let them know you want a good powered cam with borderline cam surge and then get the stall later to tame that. VVT has some perks but honestly I dont think you need them with the blower. If you are liking VVT then check into texasspeed VVT with afm delete which requires you to replace the lifters like on an ls3 conversion that way you get rid of the weak point but still utilize the VVT.
Livernois Motorsports: Maggie 2300 7psi, Livernois 2C cam/L99 to LS3 Conversion, Ported TB, Rotofab w/adm race scoop, adm trans cooler,Kooks headers no cats, Kooks 3" exhaust. METCO breather. Precision 2400 Vigilante TC. Eibach Lowering Springs & Swaybars. BMR Trailing arms, BMR Rear Cradle Bushings, BMR Toe Rods, BMR Differential bushings. Vossen CV3 20's w/ 305 Mickey Thompson @25psi. Zl1 front bumper. OE Zl1 Hood and matte black insert. 556RWHP/500RWTQ L99
jsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:10 PM   #27
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
I think if I could only do one, I might do the stall first. But, they really should be done together. That's why I didn't do the cam when the SC went in last fall. I couldn't swing the stall at that point. I had to wait til now.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:17 PM   #28
Huggerorange73
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
I think if I could only do one, I might do the stall first. But, they really should be done together. That's why I didn't do the cam when the SC went in last fall. I couldn't swing the stall at that point. I had to wait til now.
The problem with doing the stall first is that it's important to have the cam specs in hand when choosing the converter.

I did that with my 99' and ended up screwing myself. I put a 2800 stall in it, then threw a monster cam in that needed a 3600 stall. Did it drive/run...yes, but not as good as it could have.

One thing to note is that most converter companies will allow you to restall the converter within a period of time for no charge.

In all seriousness PQ, I'd work on hammering out the suspension/traction problems first before you head down the cam/stall path.