Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 02-02-2009, 09:43 AM   #15
joes3rdcamaro82/91/2010
Z28 Hold Out!

Drives: 2000 Monte Carlo SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooy View Post
I hate to say this, but you should be thinking about taking driver's ed before even thinking about boosting an LS3.
Second this. You need to crawl before you walk, and you are going straight for a marathon!
joes3rdcamaro82/91/2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:23 AM   #16
Ad Wizard
Risking Life and Limb

Drives: K5 Blazer
I'm hoping Whipple or KB come out with an application for this. Both are screw type superchargers, and lots more efficient and more powerful than a lobe type ("Heaton", Magnacharger, etc.)

Twin screws can run more boost at low air temps. I was pretty much maxxed out at 500 whp on my 04 Cobra with the Eaton, while the Whipple/KB crew could put down 600. BIG difference.
Ad Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:34 AM   #17
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad Wizard View Post
I'm hoping Whipple or KB come out with an application for this. Both are screw type superchargers, and lots more efficient and more powerful than a lobe type ("Heaton", Magnacharger, etc.)

Twin screws can run more boost at low air temps. I was pretty much maxxed out at 500 whp on my 04 Cobra with the Eaton, while the Whipple/KB crew could put down 600. BIG difference.
what size pulleys and what size blowers were you using?
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:42 AM   #18
Ad Wizard
Risking Life and Limb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
what size pulleys and what size blowers were you using?
2.73 upper, standard lower, ported Eaton. I'm fairly conservative, and did not want to overspin more than that. I know you can throw a smaller lower on, but the air temps get crazy hot.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:54 AM   #19
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Quote:

Actually the new TVs from Magnacharger are a more efficient than the older magnachargers .. Either way .. I'm up for Magnacharger, Whipple or KB.

I was running a ported Eaton with a 2.93 upper and 4lb lower on my 04 cobra .. put down 509rwhp / 520rwtq .. that was pretty maxing the eaton out as far as I wanted to go ..

Can't wait to see what the LS3 is going to do ..

Crowley
Old 02-02-2009, 11:07 AM   #20
Ad Wizard
Risking Life and Limb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
I was running a ported Eaton with a 2.93 upper and 4lb lower on my 04 cobra .. put down 509rwhp / 520rwtq .. that was pretty maxing the eaton out as far as I wanted to go ..
Crowley
I remember you from my SVTP days. Looks like we both made the switch to "the dark side"
Old 02-02-2009, 11:23 AM   #21
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan 572 View Post
what is the best supercharger that wont destroy your drivetrain. how much would it cost for the charger and installation. what else do u need except the charger. how much power do they make. thanks
I don't know if you could really claim which is best, per se. I've recently read a Procharger install on a G8 GT and the increase in power above stock was the same as a TVS 1900 on another G8 GT; about 120 RWHP. I did notice that the TVS didn't really peak before fuel cutoff, suggesting to me if you were to spin the engine higher, it would've made even more power; the Procharger appeared to top-out however before fuel cut-off. I only bring this up because many people are of the opinion centrifugals are better than the roots/screw-types, but the newer 4-lobe styles are catching up, it would seem. The systems for the G8 were in the neighborhood of almost $7K with the Maggy' so it isn't cheap, however, the 1900 they tested was rated to 800 horse', so there's plenty of room to go. I didn't catch the price of the Procharger, and know there was a head unit upgrade that was like another $250-$300 so something and a 3-core intercooler upgrade too. However, you have to remove the head unit every like 6K miles, or something, to change the oil, where that isn't necessary on the Maggy' (I'm not sure about the Whipple because I haven't come across as many articles through my reading.)

Typically, you can buy kits for your car that are as complete as can be. I know you can obtain "Tuner" kits from Procharger that aren't complete, but allow you flexibility to taylor the kit to your car more specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
How about including a set of lower compression forged pistons so you know the car will be reliable for a LONG time to come...

I never liked the idea of just slapping FI on a engine that was not designed for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus6 View Post
i hope that price comes with forged internals ,and a really nice boost controller .I'm think for that price range i could get those but instead be twin turbo.Not trying to start a super vs turbo war ,but in my area the TT seems to be the route of the really fast cars .
Nope - from what I've read, these are only bolt-on kits and include nothing for the long block; mostly PCM, fuel, and tuning changes along with the obvious hardware to run and plumb the supercharger.

I don't think there are many people who will argue that turbos make more power, but it's my understanding they are a little more finiky to tune and control. I understand over-boosting can be an issue if you're not careful and you have to worry about turbo timers and such. These aren't deal-breakers, but they just seem to require a little more constant involvement. Like the whine of a supercharger, there isn't quite as cool a thing as the whistles of a pair of hair driers under the hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
magnacharger.
This will be the direction I take when it comes time. MP2300 A close second is a Whipple kit, because I remember they were really popular on sport trucks a while ago and know there are a bunch of happy Cobra and Lightning owners out there

Quote:
I think I have seen some 6k magnacharger installed on some other forums for later model LS# equipped cars .. btw .. I don't think you will be able to get a good twin turbo setup for under 9k on these cars .. if you can find a good one installed for the price the OP was talking about, I'd jump on it ..

Crowley
You probably get what you pay for. I'm sure STS will come out with a twin turbo kit, and I bet it'll come close to $6K to $7K. I'm a fan of their idea, not so much their execution though. I've seen some good results from their kits though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spd98 View Post
The TVs is twice the blower the regular magnacharger is. Look it up it's the best of both worlds. Easy to install like a roots but with the lower discharge temperatures found in axial compressors.
I think if it's good enough for the LSA and LS9, it's probably good enough for me, LOL! After recalling a statement that GM went from turbos to this supercharger because of heat problems (I don't recall the exact terminology they used) I figured they know better than I.

Quote:

Quote:
Actually the new TVs from Magnacharger are a more efficient than the older magnachargers .. Either way .. I'm up for Magnacharger, Whipple or KB.

Can't wait to see what the LS3 is going to do ..

Crowley
I think we're going to get some really good numbers with this kinda' set-up. I've quoted a Popular Hotrodding (I think, it's been a while) article where they tested either a KB or Whipple Mustang and got great numbers and they also tested a G8 with an MP1900 and got great numbers there too. I believe the MP1900 had a higher horsepower limit (800) than the KB/Whipple (700) but what was funny was, was the KB/Whipple was actually like a 2.3L supercharger, so it actually was larger than the MP1900. Anyhoo, I think the Maggy' has come up

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:11 PM   #22
ZZcamaro

Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
I am working on a group buy for the STS Turbo Kit. I am expecting to be able to offer the kit at 7k-8k. I am looking for the group buy, and will not be making money on this deal at all !! I just wanted a kit, and I will get a lower price if I do it with a group buy.

I have also been in contact with Procharger, and have experience with them. I do plan to offer a group buy with the, but they have been less forthcoming with info for me, and I will have to wait until I can arrange something with them.
ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:33 AM   #23
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I think if it's good enough for the LSA and LS9, it's probably good enough for me, LOL! After recalling a statement that GM went from turbos to this supercharger because of heat problems (I don't recall the exact terminology they used) I figured they know better than I.
thermal events?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:50 PM   #24
2010 SS
Elderly Man

Drives: Your Local Bus
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylepo View Post
procharger. google it.

lol

Old 02-03-2009, 01:35 PM   #25
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
thermal events?
LOL - I think that's what it was. I still ponder exactly what that could mean... Torched pistons? Sheet! The long block on LS9 is totaly forged and beefed up! What could go wrong? Well, that's a dumb question, but I mean within a reasonable level. Maybe there was just so little room with those hair driers in there that the heat the put of and generated started melting all those composite panels in the engine compartment.

Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SS View Post
lol

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 02-03-2009, 02:04 PM   #26
Robert91RS

Drives: Everywhere
[QUOTE=radz282003;273513]LOL - I think that's what it was. I still ponder exactly what that could mean... Torched pistons? Sheet! The long block on LS9 is totaly forged and beefed up! What could go wrong? Well, that's a dumb question, but I mean within a reasonable level. Maybe there was just so little room with those hair driers in there that the heat the put of and generated started melting all those composite panels in the engine compartment.[QUOTE]

I think I heard it literaly burned to the ground at the prooving grounds.
Robert91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:09 PM   #27
radz28
Petro-sexual

Fantastarific! That's pretty scary though, especially for those owners with other turbo'd cars. As conservative as GM would be, it just seems like something went way wrong. It'd be interesting to learn what happened exactly though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert91RS View Post
Quote:
LOL - I think that's what it was. I still ponder exactly what that could mean... Torched pistons? Sheet! The long block on LS9 is totaly forged and beefed up! What could go wrong? Well, that's a dumb question, but I mean within a reasonable level. Maybe there was just so little room with those hair driers in there that the heat the put of and generated started melting all those composite panels in the engine compartment.
I think I heard it literaly burned to the ground at the prooving grounds.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 02-07-2009, 08:58 PM   #28
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Fantastarific! That's pretty scary though, especially for those owners with other turbo'd cars. As conservative as GM would be, it just seems like something went way wrong. It'd be interesting to learn what happened exactly though.
Small engine bay...two turbos(most likely)...lotsa piping...hot-hot-hot.