Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-10-2009, 06:12 PM   #1
HeavyD

Drives: 1SSRS RY L99
Got my MBRP L99 system delivered today! pics

This is the new system specifically for L99 from MBRP, 304 stainless with round tips. The box is massive, 80 pounds. I checked everything out. Very happy with the quality of everything. All the welds look great. Tips look awesome! All the pipes have that heavy quality feel to them. Money well spent! I got the intro price. Customer service is excellent! There is a minor issue with both s pipes between the cats and resonator. The resonator end on both pipes are a little bit egg shaped and won't fit into the resonator pipes. I can almost get them in by hand. I don't think it is a big deal. I will reshape them at work slightly to get a good fit. Other than that I can't wait to install it, (no car yet!)
In the 14th picture, I am holding one of the s pipes. You can barely see the out of round shape. The next couple of pic show how close they to getting into the resonator.
Attached Images

HeavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:15 PM   #2
HeavyD

How do you add text below a picture?
Old 12-10-2009, 06:17 PM   #3
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
A lot of folks have been waiting for this one... SWEET system... can't wait to hear it and see how that resonator does...
Old 12-11-2009, 08:21 PM   #4
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Dude, please, please do everyone a huge favor and have it dynoed before and after install. It would be a big favor to all of us considering this system. The only downside would be that you would have to wait until the car is broke in. Otherwise it would not be accurate. I too am thinking about ordering this system before my car arrives.
VADER SS L99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:25 PM   #5
SScattergunSS
~ Love or Lust ~

Drives: R6P 1SS/RS BLK/L99
Great photographs! I for one can't wait to see (and hear) how it all turns out! Have fun!!!
~ Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just, And this be our motto, "In God is our trust." And the Star Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave ~ Francis Scott Key ~
SScattergunSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:26 PM   #6
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
MBRP Makes some Pretty Nice stuff, we have been Selling and installing it for a few years now.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:28 PM   #7
VADER SS L99

Did you guys see any gains from it like MBRP is claiming?
Old 12-12-2009, 12:22 AM   #8
HeavyD

Well, you'll have to be patient with the dynoing. I will be doing a before and after dyno run, videos, the whole nine yards!!! A few things though, I will be also putting on shorty headers, (haven't decided which ones) and a Roto Fab CAI. No tune! I won't be doing a dyno pull after each one, it will be one totally stock and another after all three mods installed. The car is coming a bit sooner than I planned. TPW for 12/14. Car won't be doing too much till the weather gets nicer. This stuff probably won't happen till around March. Engine should be somewhat broken in by then. I'll let you know...
Old 12-12-2009, 02:15 AM   #9
m1tankr

Drives: '69 Camaro RS LM-1
Can you do us a favor. Weigh the new pieces and the old pieces so we can see the weight savings between the factory & aftermarket exhausts. Please do this with the headers too. Thanks
m1tankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:24 AM   #10
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
Did you guys see any gains from it like MBRP is claiming?
I have not had the oportunity to install one on a Gen5 yet so I can't comment specifically on the MBRP.

But Past experiences with different cat back systems shows Nothing but sound.

We had the same experience with the Mustangs 05 and up, NO power gain from Cat backs but they all sound different.

The Factories are taking advantage of exhaust technology, where in past models it was only designed to do one thing Keep it Quiet which left room for power gains.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:55 AM   #11
HeavyD

The Fedex packing slip showed 81 pounds. I would minus a good 5 pound just for the box, which is massive.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:10 PM   #12
VADER SS L99

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
I have not had the oportunity to install one on a Gen5 yet so I can't comment specifically on the MBRP.

But Past experiences with different cat back systems shows Nothing but sound.

We had the same experience with the Mustangs 05 and up, NO power gain from Cat backs but they all sound different.

The Factories are taking advantage of exhaust technology, where in past models it was only designed to do one thing Keep it Quiet which left room for power gains.
You are absolutly correct on the mustang as I had a S197 GT. I dont recall any mfgs claiming any gains on those cars though, for sure not on a catback, all except for Corsa which did show 5rwhp on several. Of course you dont buy $800 mufflers with tips for 5rwhp.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:19 PM   #13
VADER SS L99

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD View Post
Well, you'll have to be patient with the dynoing. I will be doing a before and after dyno run, videos, the whole nine yards!!! A few things though, I will be also putting on shorty headers, (haven't decided which ones) and a Roto Fab CAI. No tune! I won't be doing a dyno pull after each one, it will be one totally stock and another after all three mods installed. The car is coming a bit sooner than I planned. TPW for 12/14. Car won't be doing too much till the weather gets nicer. This stuff probably won't happen till around March. Engine should be somewhat broken in by then. I'll let you know...
my car is going to be here this month so I guess I will have to be the guinie pig(hopefully not the chump) for this system. Going to do cai and catback after break in and I will dyno catback only pulls. I will do LT headers and maybe a tune in the spring myself.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:45 PM   #14
full of days

Drives: Camaro GT
ordered the same MBRP exhaust with the round tips along with the Dynamaxx full length headers and an Airaid CAI. I'll be getting them this week sometime and will probably install myself to save a few bucks and give me a good project to work on and I'll start a new thread and update to the forum with pics and vids. Keep us all posted on the install and any tips/tricks. Are you planning on installing yourself or having someone install for you? I'm leaning toward having my tuner install the header/exhaust to avoid any issues with throwing codes, etc...

Last edited by full of days; 12-14-2009 at 09:10 PM.
full of days is offline   Reply With Quote