Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-21-2011, 07:02 PM   #15
cmcghee559

Drives: 2010 Camaro LT2
I drive very resoniable, but on occasions I have had to get on it quiet hard..nothing but pure pleasure.....no problems...in fact with 10545 miles I have not one complaint..everything works as it is suppose to..no rattles.. nothing
Old 01-21-2011, 08:10 PM   #16
lets_go_bills

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS CGM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbyman View Post
I am going to buy a new 2011 LT 1 with the manual trann, has anyone had problems with the clutch and tranny in their 6 cyl. like the guys are having in 8 cyl. SS ?
Had my 2011 2LT/RS for 4 months, put 7,500kms on it so far. No problems whatsoever. With anything.

lets_go_bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:47 PM   #17
az2009se

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS 2009 Challenger SE
8,600 miles, 1 1/2 years and 3 completely unexpected grinds from 2nd to 3rd. I don't know what to think. Otherwise extremely enjoyable!!!
az2009se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:26 PM   #18
Chobbs11
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 IBM Camaro LS
I've had my 2011 LS for 5 months and put over 7000 miles on him. Absolutely no problems. The shift from 1st to 2nd has always been a little notchy but no grinding. And the more miles I put on him the better the shifting seems. Either because I know my car more or things are breaking in to my driving style. I love this car!
Chobbs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:08 PM   #19
mrjohnnybadass2011
[BLAZE]

Drives: 2010 Lt2 CUSTOM 376
i have 11,700 miles on my 6 speed and i run the hell out of it not one problem with anything onmy camarolt2 its badass
mrjohnnybadass2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:36 PM   #20
gemjewel6

Drives: 2010 2LT/Imperial Blue/Manual
I have 23,000 miles on my M6. No problems what so ever.
gemjewel6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:58 PM   #21
mike25

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
you want a tranny horror story?

I have had my car since the first several months of production, and supposedy i was told the problem was a batch problem affecting on certain production numbers. I started experiencing the grind problem around 10-12k miles. every so often i would go to shift and it would be a bad grind, mostly on 1-2, but sometimes from 2-3. Over time they kept getting worse, and when i went to leave work one day i got in the car and my clutch had completely sunk in to the floor board and wasnt releasing on its own. I ended up having to pull the clutch up to get it to reset and work.

After that i took it to the garage where it sat for about a month and a half, awaiting parts, apparently because the only way to get the clutch assembely(they claimed bolts had failed on the clutch/pressure plate causing catastrophic failure due to not being torqued correctly during assembeley)...i kept getting strung along, being told it would be fixed in a few days only to find out it wasnt ready, and eventually we got in contact with a family friend who has ties pretty high in gm, and they manage to pull an assembly from the line and ship it to my dealer..once they got the part it was ready in hours...

since this all i have put roughly another 10k miles on her and she hasnt not given me a single hint of a grind or failure..
2LT/RS M6 CGM VIN#53104 SOLD

2012 Black 2SS/RS w/ Hurst-

Mods:
Corsa catback, SSE, Vararam
mike25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:05 PM   #22
happycamper

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS M6 AGM
No problems here.

I have had Ford pickups in the past that were notchy going from 1st to 2nd, so I know what it feels like.
happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:51 AM   #23
yzfmik

Drives: '10 Summit White 2LT M6
My only problem was a leak I discovered the day I brought it home. They rented me a car, replaced a seal (and clutch because it had fluid on it) and it's been perfect ever since. I'm about to hit 10K miles.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:01 AM   #24
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
I havent had any problems so far. I dont really drive it hard. I only press on the car when the clutch has been released. Dont know if that makes a difference but i dont want to burn my cltuch either. I have had the car for 1 year and 6 months and has have put 2455 miles on it.
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:27 AM   #25
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
1-2 shift

If a shifter on ANY car does not feel like it wants to glide into 2nd gear, don't force it. Try going fast in 1st gear, then raising the RPMS while you have the clutch pushed in, and see if the gear goes into 2nd gear with no problems.

If you ever FORCE the shifter into 2nd, then you are the one who messed up the transmission.

I'm not sure what everyone is doing when they shift to 2nd, but EVEN if the tranny didn't have the best synchros, it would STILL just pop right into 2nd if you match the revs when you shift.

When you Don't blip the throttle and match revs on a 1-2 shift, you are making the 2nd gear sychro do MORE work.

you have two cones spinning at different RPMS. when you slide the shifter to 2nd, those two cones start kissing until they BOTH turn the same RPM. One cone is spinning the speed of the clutch disk itself. the other cone is spinning a forced RPM based on how fast the rear tires are turning. When the clutch is pushed in, the clutch disk is "free to spin" freely but you STILL are matching two different cone speeds when you move the shifter from 1 to 2.

If you make an effort to match these rpms while you are shifting you can save your 2nd gear synchro. (and all the other gear synchos.)

Also, I'm not sure but I think some of these transmissions have 1-2 synchros that have 3 cones. (this was to try to help but something tells me this design is worse and it probably does not work well till the tranny is warmed up.)

Raise the RPMS and it should make the shifter go right into 2nd gear easily without any kind of grinding.

I have a mustang GT with a 5-speed. I have heard millions of people complain the transmission had problems, but I put 180,000 miles on mine and my transmission is perfect with zero issues.

Anyone who drives (a V8-stick shift) car like a "video game" or like a honda civic will tear up everything in their drivetrain starting from the clutch disk to rear differential.

It would be helpful if people who drive a stick shift could physically see a manual transmission disassembled to see what is happening mechanically when they press a clutch pedal or move a shift lever. 90 percent of society has no clue what is happening.

you DON'T NEED an engineering degree to understand how a synchro works and a clutch/pressure plate/throw out bearing/hydraulic clutch master/slave cylinder.

EDUCATE yourself. Don't just blindly damage a 4000 dollar transmission/drivetrain. Then go blame everyone else after it's too late.

Peace out
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:35 AM   #26
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001ragtop View Post
If a shifter on ANY car does not feel like it wants to glide into 2nd gear, don't force it. Try going fast in 1st gear, then raising the RPMS while you have the clutch pushed in, and see if the gear goes into 2nd gear with no problems.

If you ever FORCE the shifter into 2nd, then you are the one who messed up the transmission.

I'm not sure what everyone is doing when they shift to 2nd, but EVEN if the tranny didn't have the best synchros, it would STILL just pop right into 2nd if you match the revs when you shift.

When you Don't blip the throttle and match revs on a 1-2 shift, you are making the 2nd gear sychro do MORE work.

you have two cones spinning at different RPMS. when you slide the shifter to 2nd, those two cones start kissing until they BOTH turn the same RPM. One cone is spinning the speed of the clutch disk itself. the other cone is spinning a forced RPM based on how fast the rear tires are turning. When the clutch is pushed in, the clutch disk is "free to spin" freely but you STILL are matching two different cone speeds when you move the shifter from 1 to 2.

If you make an effort to match these rpms while you are shifting you can save your 2nd gear synchro. (and all the other gear synchos.)

Also, I'm not sure but I think some of these transmissions have 1-2 synchros that have 3 cones. (this was to try to help but something tells me this design is worse and it probably does not work well till the tranny is warmed up.)

Raise the RPMS and it should make the shifter go right into 2nd gear easily without any kind of grinding.

I have a mustang GT with a 5-speed. I have heard millions of people complain the transmission had problems, but I put 180,000 miles on mine and my transmission is perfect with zero issues.

Anyone who drives (a V8-stick shift) car like a "video game" or like a honda civic will tear up everything in their drivetrain starting from the clutch disk to rear differential.

It would be helpful if people who drive a stick shift could physically see a manual transmission disassembled to see what is happening mechanically when they press a clutch pedal or move a shift lever. 90 percent of society has no clue what is happening.

you DON'T NEED an engineering degree to understand how a synchro works and a clutch/pressure plate/throw out bearing/hydraulic clutch master/slave cylinder.

EDUCATE yourself. Don't just blindly damage a 4000 dollar transmission/drivetrain. Then go blame everyone else after it's too late.

Peace out

Nice rant but I'd like to point out that GM delayed the release of the V6 M6 cars at the start of production (for 2 months) because of this very same issue. You can't sit there and realistically tell me that the engineers at GM don't know how a transmission works, nor how to shift properly?

With my first AY6, going into 2nd was notchy from the day I picked it up with 10 miles on it. That binding feeling was something I could feel shifting gears just sitting still with the car off. It just got progressively worse over time.

GM and Aisin knew there was a problem with the AY6 but they released the AY6 equipped Camaros anyhow. Go back and research all of the same issues that Toyota Tacoma drivers have been having with this same AY6 transmission. They've been dealing with it for 6 years. GM just picked the wrong transmission to stuff behind a 300+ horsepower engine.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:56 AM   #27
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
Nice rant but I'd like to point out that GM delayed the release of the V6 M6 cars at the start of production (for 2 months) because of this very same issue. You can't sit there and realistically tell me that the engineers at GM don't know how a transmission works, nor how to shift properly?

With my first AY6, going into 2nd was notchy from the day I picked it up with 10 miles on it. That binding feeling was something I could feel shifting gears just sitting still with the car off. It just got progressively worse over time.

GM and Aisin knew there was a problem with the AY6 but they released the AY6 equipped Camaros anyhow. Go back and research all of the same issues that Toyota Tacoma drivers have been having with this same AY6 transmission. They've been dealing with it for 6 years. GM just picked the wrong transmission to stuff behind a 300+ horsepower engine.

I agree, the transmission does have its defects. Ive only had the clutch pressure plates bolts come loose (theres a TSB on this)
The gears grind randomly. And ive been driving stick for years on multiple cars including a Ferrari 360, never had a problem in any of those.
But this tranny is definitly one that is easy to use and learn on. The clutch, the way the car forgives makes it easy for beginners. My gf never drove stick in her life, let her drive the Camaro and she did great.
The tranny has its issues, but theres TSBs for it and it is covered by warranty. The car is still a great car, just a hasstle when your constantly at the dealer.
I have a list of warranty work thats need to be done to my car, sometimes I wonder why the hell did I buy this car, then I drive her, or open the garage and realize why I love her.
Its like dating a dumb but Gorgous blond, you can live past the imperfections

Oh but if your buying one, try to find a dealer with great reviews and customer service, the warranty work is not the hasstle, its getting the jackasses at the dealer to do it and to do it right.
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote