Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 10-31-2008, 12:03 PM   #1
96CAMaro

Drives: '02 Impreza 2.5RS
Brake upgrade

I know the Camaro SS already has 4 piston Brembo brakes that will give us plenty of good breaking, but I was wondering what the next brake upgrade would be. Does anyone have any thoughs on this topic?
96CAMaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:42 PM   #2
LSxJunkie
Snark snark snark

Drives: RX350
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96CAMaro View Post
I know the Camaro SS already has 4 piston Brembo brakes that will give us plenty of good breaking, but I was wondering what the next brake upgrade would be. Does anyone have any thoughs on this topic?
Pads and rotors.

If you need the bling, I'm sure Stoptech, Brembo, Alcoa, AP Racing, and so on will adapt their 6-8 piston calipers as well.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:03 PM   #3
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96CAMaro View Post
Depends on what you need to do. The factory Brembos should hold up to anything you could ever imagine to throw at them on the street and also handle any sort of track Day or HPDE you could ever do. If you wanted to truly race the car (full out caged road racer) then I'm sure stoptech, et al., will come up with a set of 6 or 8 piston brakes for it.

However as i said, you would never ever need these kind of upgrades for the street, complete waste of money better spent on a supercharger or something. Get some slotted rotors if you really need, Brembo might make a better compound pad as well but probably not. The standard Brembo stuff dissipates heat well and thats what is most important is stopping repeatedly, brake fade.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:40 PM   #4
LSxJunkie
Snark snark snark

Drives: RX350
Best upgrade? Tires.

If you can slam on your brakes at 80 and not activate your ABS, then you go on to more braking power.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:33 PM   #5
Dom

Drives: 2000 Z28
SS won't need a brake upgrade, the V6 might depending on driving style. I'm curious as to how easy a swap it would be to upgrade to the Brembos. Might be cheaper to go past Brembos with something aftermarket too.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:04 PM   #6
baileyrx

Drives: 2003 g35
drilled &/or slotted rotors will be my 1st brake upgrade

the space help the gases escape & let the pad stay in contact with the metal, also cools the rotor alittle faster

help delay/prevent brake fade

(i do road courses(hsde))

Last edited by baileyrx; 11-01-2008 at 10:17 AM.
baileyrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:16 PM   #7
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyrx View Post
drilled &/or slotted rotors will be my 1st brake upgrade

the space help the gases escape & let the pad stay in contact with the metal, also cools the rotor alittle faster

hely delay/prevent brake fade
That's not true anymore. Modern pads don't emit gas.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:41 PM   #8
baileyrx

Brembo Sport drilled brake rotors are for drivers who want to improve the looks and performance of their vehicle’s original braking system without having to change additional brake components. Brembo Sport drilled brake rotors provide excellent stopping power in everyday traffic, as well as more spirited, high performance street and highway driving.

Brembo Sport drilled brake rotors match the vehicle’s Original Equipment rotor’s dimensions and are fully compatible with its hubs, brake calipers and road wheels. Front and rear Brembo Sport drilled brake rotors are available to provide a matched appearance on all four corners of the vehicle and employ one-piece vented or solid rotors depending on the vehicle’s original equipment specifications.

Starting with select castings, Brembo Sport drilled brake rotors undergo the race-born practice of cross drilling to provide multiple paths to disperse built-up heat and gasses. The Brembo Sport rotor’s cross-drilled holes are bi-angle chamfered at the rotor’s outer surfaces to help reduce the cracking caused by repeated, high stress, high temperature brake applications. Brembo Sport drilled brake rotors are sold in axle pairs.

Brembo Sport drilled brake rotors are coated for corrosion resistance to help eliminate rust and to offer a bold, aggressive appearance to enhance the look of the vehicle’s road wheels.

Brembo Sport drilled brake rotors are designed to meet the challenges of high performance street driving while adding an authentic, race-ready look. NOTE: Light truck and SUV rotors with studs or bearings are uncoated.

Power Stop cross-drilled or slotted rotors both offer certain advantages depending on the user's vehicle, driving style and individual needs.

Both styles will provide cooler brake temperatures as a result of dissipating the gasses burning off the brake pads. This "de-gassing" or "out-gassing" will keep the pads in contact with the rotor resulting in less brake fade after repeated stops. The lower temperatures will also promote longer rotor and pad life under equal driving conditions. Improved "bite" on the brake pads will also enhance brake performance from each option. Both types of Power Stop rotors will promote improved wet weather braking as water is swept between the pad and rotor. Either cross-drilled or slotted rotors, combined with our Axxis Metal Master or 9-1-1 Extreme Performance brake pads, will out perform a stock brake system under normal and "spirited" street driving conditions.

BAER
Will slotting or cross-drilling my stock rotors improve my car's stopping performance?
DEFINITELY NOT! Cross-drilled or slotted rotors do produce a strong visual appeal behind a modern open wheel, and they do have a performance edge when pad outgassing occurs. Outgassing occurs at extreme temperatures when the bonding agents that hold the pad material together break down into a gas form. This gas creates a pneumatic barrier between the rotor and the pad, reducing friction. Cross-drilling or slotting creates a path for the outgassing that occurs during extreme braking conditions. However, these conditions can virtually never be reached on the street! Short of a complete system, performance brake pads, a proper Teflon lined braided stainless steel hose set and quality brake fluids are the only direct replacement upgrades that can be combined to deliver measurable stopping improvements in the context of direct replacement components on the OE brake system.

ss brake line & dot 4 brake fluid(higher boiling point)
Old 11-01-2008, 12:19 AM   #9
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I'm keeping the Brembos that are coming on my 2SS. No need to change them as I will not be road coursing it every day. I'll never drive it that hard (although I know I'd want to!...repeatedly!!!!!!)
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 09:49 AM   #10
Dom

Quote:
Brembo Sport drilled brake rotors are for drivers who want to improve the looks and performance of their vehicle’s original braking system without having to change additional brake components. Brembo Sport drilled brake rotors provide excellent stopping power in everyday traffic, as well as more spirited, high performance street and highway driving.

Brembo Sport drilled brake rotors match the vehicle’s Original Equipment rotor’s dimensions and are fully compatible with its hubs, brake calipers and road wheels. Front and rear Brembo Sport drilled brake rotors are available to provide a matched appearance on all four corners of the vehicle and employ one-piece vented or solid rotors depending on the vehicle’s original equipment specifications.

Starting with select castings, Brembo Sport drilled brake rotors undergo the race-born practice of cross drilling to provide multiple paths to disperse built-up heat and gasses. The Brembo Sport rotor’s cross-drilled holes are bi-angle chamfered at the rotor’s outer surfaces to help reduce the cracking caused by repeated, high stress, high temperature brake applications. Brembo Sport drilled brake rotors are sold in axle pairs.

Brembo Sport drilled brake rotors are coated for corrosion resistance to help eliminate rust and to offer a bold, aggressive appearance to enhance the look of the vehicle’s road wheels.

Brembo Sport drilled brake rotors are designed to meet the challenges of high performance street driving while adding an authentic, race-ready look. NOTE: Light truck and SUV rotors with studs or bearings are uncoated.

Power Stop cross-drilled or slotted rotors both offer certain advantages depending on the user's vehicle, driving style and individual needs.

Both styles will provide cooler brake temperatures as a result of dissipating the gasses burning off the brake pads. This "de-gassing" or "out-gassing" will keep the pads in contact with the rotor resulting in less brake fade after repeated stops. The lower temperatures will also promote longer rotor and pad life under equal driving conditions. Improved "bite" on the brake pads will also enhance brake performance from each option. Both types of Power Stop rotors will promote improved wet weather braking as water is swept between the pad and rotor. Either cross-drilled or slotted rotors, combined with our Axxis Metal Master or 9-1-1 Extreme Performance brake pads, will out perform a stock brake system under normal and "spirited" street driving conditions.

BAER
Will slotting or cross-drilling my stock rotors improve my car's stopping performance?
DEFINITELY NOT! Cross-drilled or slotted rotors do produce a strong visual appeal behind a modern open wheel, and they do have a performance edge when pad outgassing occurs. Outgassing occurs at extreme temperatures when the bonding agents that hold the pad material together break down into a gas form. This gas creates a pneumatic barrier between the rotor and the pad, reducing friction. Cross-drilling or slotting creates a path for the outgassing that occurs during extreme braking conditions. However, these conditions can virtually never be reached on the street! Short of a complete system, performance brake pads, a proper Teflon lined braided stainless steel hose set and quality brake fluids are the only direct replacement upgrades that can be combined to deliver measurable stopping improvements in the context of direct replacement components on the OE brake system.

ss brake line & dot 4 brake fluid(higher boiling point)
Thanks for the quotes from their marketing department. It's common knowledge blank rotor is by far the best. This topic has been beat to death.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showpo...91&postcount=2
Old 11-01-2008, 10:13 AM   #11
baileyrx

all out racing & street/hsde cars have different needs, anyway that post is from over 3 years ago, maybe dated info

chevy seems to agree...

let the debate continue.....
Attached Images

Old 11-01-2008, 10:51 AM   #12
Dom

You right. Brake pads have gotten worse since 3y ago.

Do some reading here.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477787
Old 11-03-2008, 01:19 AM   #13
gunslinger

Drives: 1998 Z28 M6
Quote:
all out racing & street/hsde cars have different needs, anyway that post is from over 3 years ago, maybe dated info

chevy seems to agree...

let the debate continue.....
Also, those are Carbon Ceramic rotors, a whole different science from the cast iron rotors found on 99.999999% of cars on the road.

GM also has a marketing department and there are many rich people out there who might just be pushed over the edge and buy a ZR1 because it has drilled rotors like a Ferrari/Porsche/Lamborghini.

EDIT: Also, the GMPP teaser video showed a brake change and the calipers seemed to be an upgrade over the standard SS Brambo's...Maybe it was a one-off piece from a ZO6, or maybe it will be a brake package offered through GMPP in the future.
gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:57 AM   #14
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
Also, those are Carbon Ceramic rotors, a whole different science from the cast iron rotors found on 99.999999% of cars on the road.

GM also has a marketing department and there are many rich people out there who might just be pushed over the edge and buy a ZR1 because it has drilled rotors like a Ferrari/Porsche/Lamborghini.

EDIT: Also, the GMPP teaser video showed a brake change and the calipers seemed to be an upgrade over the standard SS Brambo's...Maybe it was a one-off piece from a ZO6, or maybe it will be a brake package offered through GMPP in the future.
those were brakes from a CTS-V and dont count on them being offered as an upgrade unless its a z/28 or zl-1