Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-13-2010, 04:59 PM   #1
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Turned in my 335i today (warning long post)

I turned in my 335i today. So now my '97 WS6 is my DD for a while. Until I decide what to buy.

After turning in the twin turbo I sat in an '11 Brembo Mustang and a 2SS. My initial impressions.

Interior:

After spending some time in both front seats I do not see why the Mustang is considered heads over heels better. Some things were nicer. But parts of both interiors look cheap to me. Maybe I am spoiled from the BMW.

Both dashes are very retro, the Camaro's more so. Neither dash seemed all that attractive to me, but both are huge improvements over my fourth Gen Firebird. While not winning any beauty contests I would rate the Camaro dash as more interesting.

I did not like the SS radio so much as it will be hard to replace. I have to look at old Camaro threads to see the best way to do it. Aftermarket sound/nav systems are equal or better than factory systems and cheaper. But the Mustang Nav is very nice, built in, and not all that expensive when you consider you get 2 zone climate control, large backup camera screen, and HD radio all included.

I really disliked the low roof in the SS. Evan my wife commented on it. She wondered if Chevrolet was going for a chopped low rider look ala Chrysler 300. If so why? The Mustang was easier to see out of, no contest and interestingly enough my WS6 is also much better.

But the airy equalizer was the sunroof. Open the sunroof cover and the Camaro interior is much brighter. And you can open it for fresh air. The Mustang has a $2K glass roof that is nice but very expensive and never lets in any fresh air unless it is broken. I like a sunroof. And after lowering the power seat I had plenty of headroom.

The Camaro trunk was very long but very low. The Mustang trunk seemed shorter but higher and more useful.

One small thing was that it was easier for me to figure out how to move the front seat forward for rear seat access in the Mustang as the Camaro seat release was harder to find. Maybe I am just a dope.

The font seats in both felt comfortable and seemed to have a useful range of adjustment. But both fell short of the sport seats in my 335i.

You can find cheap plastic in both interiors if you look around. To me the visual quality is a draw. Slight edge to the Mustang for good visibility and the Nav. The Camaro has the sunroof.

My conclusion:

* Mustang interior appearance: 7.25
* Camaro interior appearance: 7.0
* Mustang interior ergonomics: 8..5
* Camaro interior ergonomics: 8.0
* Mustang interior cool factor: 7.0
* Camaro interior cool factor: 8.0

Exterior:

The Brembo Mustang I looked at was tarted up with appearance only add-on scoops and slats. I dislike this kind of useless gingerbread on a serious car. But you can avoid that option. I would. Without that the car has nice lines and very much reminds me of the Mustang fastback I have always wanted but never had. The rear is a little strange. But I could get used to it. Also the Mustang looks like it is more pieced together with all this plastic on the lower edge of the car. It makes the exterior look little cheap. I did like the Brembo wheels. I like the curved thin spokes and dark color. They look great. And they are 19 inchers. I would rather they were 18s but 19 is better than 20 for unsprung weight.

The SS makes much more of a statement than the Mustang. No question there. The Mustang is quietly good looking. The Camaro gets attention. I am not sure the Camaro is as good looking but has nice proportions except for the roof. The roofline on the Camaro looks too low for me. A 1 inch+ higher roofline would make the proportions a little better and increase interior visibility. Overall besides the styling, I like the Camaro exterior a little better. Somehow to me it says quality more than the Mustang. Two details I did not like on the Camaro was the front grill and the fish gills on the front of the back fender.

* Mustang exterior appearance: 8.00
* Camaro exterior appearance: 7.75
* Mustang exterior cool factor: 8.0
* Camaro exterior cool factor: 9.5

Given that we buys these cards as fun toys and not just transportation devices I would call this first evaluation a tie.

I am wondering the difference between the Ford Sync and the SS electronics. Any one know the advantages if any?

Last edited by Fraxum; 08-13-2010 at 10:21 PM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:05 PM   #2
raqball

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I would have NEVER guessed this:

Quote:
* Mustang exterior appearance: 8.00
* Camaro exterior appearance: 7.75
My numbers would look like this:

* Mustang exterior appearance: 6.00
* Camaro exterior appearance: 8.75

Add the Challenger into the mix...

* Challenger exterior appearance: 8.70

I personally think the Mustang is hideous and would buy a Challenger long before even considering the Stang...

Last edited by raqball; 08-13-2010 at 05:16 PM.
raqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:08 PM   #3
ViperTomcat
Banned

Drives: 2011 Avenger Heat
By most accounts Sync is in a league of its own over the SS electronics. Also the Ford navigation is the best OEM in the American market.

I found the Camaro's gauges more interesting, but the Mustangs easier to read in a hurry.
ViperTomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:15 PM   #4
louiecvt

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
One of my first mods was to change out the stereo for a kenwood double din system. It's got Nav, bluetooth, CD/DVD, Ipod, Flash drive and back up camera. I had to get a kit that incorporates the AC controls on it. PM me if you want to know about it.
louiecvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:26 PM   #5
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro
The low roofline is one of the best parts of the camaro, yeah it may be harder to see out of but it looks awesome and futuristic. It makes the car look like a chop top and I love it

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:12 PM   #6
StlRomAniaN

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
You're contradicting yourself man. You say you like the Camaro exterior better, but then rate it lower...?
Old 08-13-2010, 06:21 PM   #7
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Your observations just seem like it is composed/based on reading articles and comments about each car and you never really even felt/drove these cars. Performance factor is really where most people look for + and - when deciding between cars of this type and you mention nothing about it. Seems like you should be shopping for a Lexus or Mercedez if the ergonomics are your main concerns.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:49 PM   #8
Taz_FL

Drives: 1LT/RS Yellow/Black
good post, I enjoyed reading your description / evaluation of both cars.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:33 PM   #9
Ovenmitt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 RJT 1SS
Send a message via AIM to Ovenmitt
For what its worth the sunroof cars lose almost 2 inches of headroom versus regular roof cars. Def sit in a reg roof.
Ovenmitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:33 PM   #10
stikSS
9691 & 97586

Drives: 2010 SS, 1999 SS, 1993 Z28
All are individual opinions, but his descriptions and ratings don't match up. You really have to drive and use the ammenities of each car to get true opinion and rating. I've stopped and looked at the mustang myself, they both have their goods and bads.
stikSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:21 PM   #11
Chevyg1rl

Drives: Chevys
Raqball has a point. While I don't think the Mustang is hideous, I would take a Challenger over it every day of the week.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:15 PM   #12
squat

Drives: 2011 Dodge Charger
Thanks for the post, I always enjoy reading these types of comparisons.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:25 PM   #13
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by raqball View Post
I would have NEVER guessed this:

My numbers would look like this:

Add the Challenger into the mix...

* Challenger exterior appearance: 8.70

I personally think the Mustang is hideous and would buy a Challenger long before even considering the Stang...
Your numbers are just as valid as mine since it is all opinion. And I agree about the Dodge. Very nice looking, but way too fat to consider. I would rate its looks as higher than the Mustang or Camaro.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:26 PM   #14
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperTomcat View Post
By most accounts Sync is in a league of its own over the SS electronics. Also the Ford navigation is the best OEM in the American market.
Exactly what I have heard too. But why?