Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-22-2009, 03:19 PM   #29
LosXC451

Drives: 2010 SS SIM w/ RS
whoops i meant l99 lol now i feel stupid....
LosXC451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:20 PM   #30
rforbes

Drives: IOM SS/RS
Hummmm,

Maybe I can scratch the catback, and save a little money if it sounds that good!
rforbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:27 PM   #31
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurenuff View Post
It's great that the stock exhaust sounds great, but one of the main reasons I'm going aftermarket ASAP is to get rid of the large and visible mufflers that can be easily seen from behind the car.

If they were hidden by the rear fascia or at least painted black, I could probably live with them.
So paint them black.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:36 PM   #32
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutant chicken View Post
You really want the ride inside the car to be quiet so you can enjoy that premium sound system right?
No, the premium sound system is needed to hear the music over the loud exhaust.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:37 PM   #33
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
No, the premium sound system is needed to hear the music over the loud exhaust.
I used to think that way but I won't tell you how old I was at the time.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:43 PM   #34
Rallysport
Go Cardinals!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 6-speed #1879
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
WOT?
There is another term for this as well: WFO. as in wide f***kin open!
Old 04-22-2009, 06:36 PM   #35
Rodrunner

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, '06 350Z
Thanks a lot, Hylton! This does make the choice more difficult. Cost aside, and looking at just the advantages of each, I think the GMPP performance exhaust still wins. The stock exhaust simply sounds good, but the GMPP Borla exhaust sounds good (hopefully), produces more hp (it better), and definitely looks better. Yet, for those on a budget, the stock sounds like a bargain!
Old 04-22-2009, 06:39 PM   #36
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
for all in the pic's
Old 04-22-2009, 06:42 PM   #37
Hylton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrunner View Post
Thanks a lot, Hylton! This does make the choice more difficult. Cost aside, and looking at just the advantages of each, I think the GMPP performance exhaust still wins. The stock exhaust simply sounds good, but the GMPP Borla exhaust sounds good (hopefully), produces more hp (it better), and definitely looks better. Yet, for those on a budget, the stock sounds like a bargain!
After market exhaust will have a nicer finish and should make more HP but for the added dollars, they better. Last thing you want is $1,500 in an exhaust system to find out you've only gained 3 HP. :upset:
Old 04-22-2009, 06:55 PM   #38
Rodrunner

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, '06 350Z
Exactly! I'd like to see some dyno figures for the GMPP. Does GM typically provide spec. sheets for their performance parts?
Old 04-22-2009, 06:59 PM   #39
Riderover40

Drives: 2010 ABM Camaro 2SS LS3 w/RS
When I checked out the prototype IOM at the Convention Center in London Canada the GM rep said start er up ! Thats all I needed to hear ......on the keys I was ! But alas just B4 I twisted the key he stated....pls do not rev it eh, there is a policy for max DB's :(. I told him it cant be that mild cause they have big bands in there sometimes. He didn't want me too though so rev it I did not!

Anyway, when she fired up it was nothing more then a pleasant and quiet rumble much like a tame 6.0 L truck engine..... I wasn't sure I was happy with it but I remained reserved and knew that GM wouldn't make'm loud at idle anyways. Now that I have read the review with the WOT lettin her go condition I am thinking maybe I won't have to spend bucks on afterrmarkets.

Roto Fab CAI, Magnacharger MP2300, Kooks HO SS 1-7/8" LT's, Kook's Catted Connectors, Corsa SS Dual Rear Exit Cat-Back for A6 with Lasered Livernois Signature 4" Dual Wall Exit Pipes, Barton Short Throw. 546 RWHP 517 RWT

This Car Rocks !! "Bring It On" GT-500
Riderover40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:06 PM   #40
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
What most folks I have taken for a ride have noticed is that at idle and low throttle accelerations, the car is quiet. But open it up and it is quite wonderful.

So my observation is that there are still some folks that want a louder idle and off idle exhaust and that is fine. The aftermarket will solve that.

But almost all have agreed that under hard acceleration, the exhaust is great. And as you are suggesting, I've had many people come to the conclusion that an aftermarket solution won't be necessary for them.

Good post.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:23 PM   #41
Riderover40

Drives: 2010 ABM Camaro 2SS LS3 w/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrunner View Post
....GMPP performance exhaust still....produces more hp (it better)....... stock sounds like a bargain!
I am an engineer so let me put some logic here. If I was going to modify the stock set up I would have to have a number in mind....what range of power increase do I want. Well, in order to feel that increase you honestly would have to bump that LS3 426 HP by at least 10 - 15%, say 40 to 50 HP to really feek a difference that would be pleasing. You would be darn lucky to get even 9 to 10 HP with the GMPP exhaust. If I am not mistaken the performance exhaust on the 08 Corvette LS3 only gives you 6 to 8 HP.

How much will aftermarket forced airbox, headers, exhaust, and tune get me? 35 HP if I'm lucky....not worth a dam unless I am racing it and if I was serious about racing it street, 1/4, or track, I would be getting ay least a cam perhaps wiht heads. So it's reallly only all about bragging rights perhaps! Cause to tell you the truth, isn't bragging about the LS3 stock numbers grrrrrrrreat as they are!

I'm going to stick with the stock, but I will watch for posts on the adventerous experimentation with the stock set up like gutting the resonators, punching holes, and whatever. When they come up wiht something that is really attractive I will be doin it ! It will certainly save me a few dimes and the new sound will be somewhat unique. But I tell you in the second year I will start to spend bucks for mods anyway and the GMPP kit to get you to what the SEMA LS7 is ....... well ! There will be some bragging rights. It shouldn't be difficult to sell the pulled LS3 to someone who is customizing a chevy project !

I've already talked to much....
Roto Fab CAI, Magnacharger MP2300, Kooks HO SS 1-7/8" LT's, Kook's Catted Connectors, Corsa SS Dual Rear Exit Cat-Back for A6 with Lasered Livernois Signature 4" Dual Wall Exit Pipes, Barton Short Throw. 546 RWHP 517 RWT

This Car Rocks !! "Bring It On" GT-500

Last edited by Riderover40; 04-22-2009 at 07:26 PM. Reason: spell
Riderover40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:27 PM   #42
Hylton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riderover40 View Post
I am an engineer so let me put some logic here.
That's not mutually exclusive....