Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-04-2015, 09:23 PM   #15
SuperSport2011

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss/rs rally yellow L99
Had my car for 4 years and went through 19000 miles. Went to the dealership and did my tranny fluid and differential. Feel much better knowing that the car has all fresh oil in it. I also watched them do it so I know it's been done properly and professionally. Cost me $350 tax included.
- Kooks high flow cats - Borla atak 2.5" cat back exhaust - Dyno tune - AFM delete - 94 octane tune - Vitesse paddle shifters - Blacked out rims - Costum painted engine cover - T3 stripes - GM locking gas cap
SuperSport2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:42 PM   #16
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
You guessed it right , but did he screwd you , that's the question
Turn around and tell them that your mother In law is asking you to get back home fast
Tell them that you will be back with a 22
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:44 PM   #17
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSport2011 View Post
Had my car for 4 years and went through 19000 miles. Went to the dealership and did my tranny fluid and differential. Feel much better knowing that the car has all fresh oil in it. I also watched them do it so I know it's been done properly and professionally. Cost me $350 tax included.
But you could had out that money to work for a better cause , like investing for your retirement !
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 04:18 AM   #18
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Brake fluid attracts moisture and that's why it will get darker with age. Changing it every two or three years is a good idea and will keep your brake system in top shape. Only one percent moisture can lower the boiling point of some DOT 3 fluids down to 369° F. Two percent water can push the boiling point down to 320° F, and three percent can drag it all the way down to 293° F - which is getting dangerously close to the minimum DOT requirements. Moisture can also cause rust to form in the system.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:06 AM   #19
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red2014SS View Post
Brake fluid attracts moisture and that's why it will get darker with age. Changing it every two or three years is a good idea and will keep your brake system in top shape. Only one percent moisture can lower the boiling point of some DOT 3 fluids down to 369° F. Two percent water can push the boiling point down to 320° F, and three percent can drag it all the way down to 293° F - which is getting dangerously close to the minimum DOT requirements. Moisture can also cause rust to form in the system.

All True, but with the clutch/brake reservoir combined the fluid will darken in a matter of weeks rather than years. 5 year old brake fluid in my truck looked better than 30 day old clutch/brake fluid in the Camaro before I installed the separate reservoir.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:50 AM   #20
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
As several have said, follow the owner's manual for fluid intervals.

And as several have said, find a dealer with a respectful service department. They are not all the same.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 05:51 AM   #21
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
The brake fluids murky because it's tied into the clutch .
Yes, this is an incredibly bad design.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:36 AM   #22
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
yes all of that should have been done by now. actually your diff should have been done at the 1st 500 miles reg intervals after that. . coolent at 5yrs brake every 2years. weather or not the manual says you dont have to. they should all have been done now. GM sells cars and people dont like to see that they have change fluid that gm charges $150 for right after they buy it so they say in the manual to go ahead and leave it in there for 45000 miles. and then you can trade it in on another vehicle and we will sell it out of warranty.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:56 AM   #23
Ernest T

Drives: 2014 RS
I had a frank discussion about service recommendations with the service advisor at the Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealership where we take my Ram truck and Jeep Cherokee for service. I had the Jeep in for a transmission TSB reflash and the "tech" recommended an oil change. We had just had the Jeep in for an oil change two thousand miles earlier. The service writer said she was just passing on the recommendation of the tech. I told her she ought to at least check out the service history of the vehicle before passing those recommendations to the customer as it makes them look foolish at best and rip off artists at worse.
Ernest T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:11 AM   #24
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
I'm gonna be honest here, I haven't had the opportunity to get under my own car at look at some of these area myself. Just got it last Nov. bought used with 60K. So, I'm not really sure what is involved in changing the transmission fluid, differential fluid, etc. However, with many cars, these things require dropping the exhaust, removing undercarriage panels etc. If this is required, they will suggest all ofthese fluids so they only have to remove the stuff once, and the labor savings will be passed on to you (if it's a reputable dealer). So he may be saving you money down the road.

What I do know about dealership service is that they don't really like warranty work, and they collect full payment on preventative maintanence items like wear parts and fluid changes. They also don't like bad customer surveys. So, when fluid changes are coming up on their recommended interval, they like to try and get you to do these, or at least get you to set an appointment to get it done. Did you know that the position of service writer, in most dealerships, is a commissioned sales position?
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:18 AM   #25
2SSCamaroChris
Making heads turn!

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3
Need to remember a lot of service reps are commission based. So this is not surprising.
2SSCamaroChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:00 AM   #26
zissophiss

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
They are pretty much all liars and thieves.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

zissophiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:08 PM   #27
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_cowboy View Post
All True, but with the clutch/brake reservoir combined the fluid will darken in a matter of weeks rather than years. 5 year old brake fluid in my truck looked better than 30 day old clutch/brake fluid in the Camaro before I installed the separate reservoir.
Installing a separate reservoir is a great thing to do. Chevy should have made the car that way, or at least offer it as an upgrade. Shared reservoir or not, changing the brake fluid should be considered part of regular service (every two years, irregardless of mileage, IMHO).

I never used to change mine on cars or trucks. Then, my race bikes starting using hydraulic disc brakes instead of drums. I started changing the motorcycles brake fluid on a regular basis. I noticed a significant improvement in feel and braking performance every time I changed it. Then I began changing it on my cars and noticed the same benefits. Another benefit is that it will keep the brake system from developing rust and corrosion. I have serviced some disc brakes that were so corroded, it is amazing they worked at all.

I almost consider a hydraulic fluid change to be a performance upgrade... it can make that much difference.

For beginners reading this thread - There is a dangerous difference between DOT levels of fluid. Do not mix them. If you are adding fluid or changing it, make sure to check your owner's manual and use the correct fluid for your application. Never, ever mix DOT 5 or any silicon brake fluid with DOT 4 or DOT 3. Higher numbers are not always better! The number designation does not imply a rating for comparison between the fluids, only the number of the test!
Old 05-05-2015, 02:54 PM   #28
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgitsmiketuck View Post
But the diff? and tranny? I thought transmissions went like 50? I thought diff's should be even longer... but I'm probably just clueless.
You're not clueless. They were trying to milk you. Read you Owner's manual and go by those recommendations.

Brakes? Why did you change your brake lines? Just curious. Manual says to change brake fluid at 150,000 miles or ten years... whichever comes first.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote