Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 02-10-2008, 02:53 PM   #1
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Buffalo Auto Show (56k WARNING)

So, I went to the Buffalo Auto Show yesterday.
And, while not the best show by a long shot - I was pleasantly surprised. I hope my book I'm about to write doesn't bore anybody half to death, but - as you can see - I had a good time!

Cars of note that were there:

Red Camaro Fiberglass (story about that later)
Mustang Bullitt
2008 Corvette Z06 (drooled)
and.......THE G8 GT!!! (I totally didn't expect that!)

Disclaimer. The Camera I took wasn't very good, it turns out. Or the convention center was just very dusty (a good possibility). So, please forgive the crappy quality of some of the pictures. Thanks!

We walked in: and BAM! Mustang in the face. Not bad, though. Add a few more horsies, and I'd drive it

So, as I said, the Red Camaro was there (Be Jealous, TAG ), when Bumblebee was supposed to be there. Now, I had prior warning that BB was going to be taken to the Superbowl, instead. However, the rest of Buffalo did not.

The main reason is that for the past 3 weeks, this show has been advertised everywhere - radio, TV, Billboards, etc. ALL of which promo'd Bumblebee being there, even after he was pulled from the show. Quite a few little kids were a little dissapointed at not being able to see their Big Yellow Buddy, but it's all cool. Thanks to Scott, the Red concept car made filled in for Bumblebee. BIG THANKS TO FBODFATHER FOR DOING THAT!!

And I must say - This Car is freaking Gorgeous!!! I thought I had it down, just by looking at and photoshopping pictures; but pictures DO NOT do the Camaro justice! The proportions, and lines are absolutely perfect. The car is pretty small, too. I know people are worried about wieght thanks to the Pig Challenger, but really - it looks to be a small, agile car! To the naked eye, and not side-by-side, the Camaro doesn't look to be too much bigger than the Vette! Which is awesome, to say the least. Also, I paid REAL close attention to the vents on this car. Now the red one isn't a real car - so these vents are 'more fake' than any of the others, But Dang - they sure do Look real my face was right there - and they looked 100% real! (especially the side vents). I would've taken more pictures, I tried to - but the cars were so closely spaced together, it was near impossible to get many clear shots. That, AND the biggest crowd I noticed, in all honesty, in the whole place was centered around the Camaro, and Corvette. (There was a waiting line to sit in the 'Vette!)

I don't know how much Scott was involved with the show cars' placement, but somebody did a really smart thing and put the Camaro up on a platform, and put the Corvette Z06 beside it, on the floor. That garnered a HUGE amount of attention to that spot. The inside of the 'Vette is so plush, and SO comfortable, I almost dosed off - so nice! And it had a cool little light under the hood that I hadn't noticed before, pretty neat; and show's the teams worfking on these cars DO sweat the details.

Comments on the Camaro included:

"That's the new Camaro?"
"That IS gorgeous.": reponse from wife/girlfriend/really old daughter() "Yes it is." *commence drunken stare*
"Hey, man look - it's the Camaro!"
"Wow, that's really awesome!"
"Look at those lights!" (brake lights)
"I've gotta get me one of those!"
A little ten-year old: "That's a lean, mean, racing machine"
And,
"What a red!!!"
There were plenty more, but they were all along the same lines as those.

Then, after I managed to pull myself away from the Camaro for a few, I wandered around the upstairs part of the show, which housed all the Domestics, and Toyota...(go figure). GM alone took up half of the whole floor! And I passed the Malibu.

Wonderful car, btw (I urge everybody to take a look at one, if your worried AT ALL about the interior materials QUALITY of the Camaro. The alone, even if I didn't like the layout (which I do) sold the deal. Almost everything you touch in that car is soft, and welcoming.

And here, you can see some of the 'extra' touches GM made on this...little bowties, in the headlamps, and the rear repeater lamps.

Then we wandered through the Mopar section, and passed a concept car called the Chrysler "FirePower", pretty darn neat, if you ask me - it looked like a good replacement to the Viper, if there ever was one (RIP). Unfortunately, all I managed to get was an interior shot of that one.

They had a Superbee version of the Charger, kinda cool - still a big car.

And a dragster. I've never seen as big a motor in person....ever.

Back into GM territory, and we passed the '08 CTS, and it's Motor Trend award . Take a close look into the grille of this one, you can see right through to the engine!

Then, we hit the escalators, and took a trip into the depths of....well, the import floor. () Lot's of Hyundai's, lots of Subarus...none of which were very interesting at all - and MOST of which, I noticed, had poorer fuel economy ratings then their competitors' upstairs!

Pontiac had a 2-car little corner down there....not sure why - but a Nice red Solstice, and a G6 coupe was there.

Back up, and we passed through the Ford section. And caught a glimpse of the Bullitt Mustang - wasn't much to look at, really - and you could tell, more people were watching the race scene from Bullitt; the movie that they had playing, than looking at the car.

Made our way back home to the GM half of the floor, and passed none-other than the Pontiac G8 GT...I recognised it instantly, and my jaw almost dropped! What a car. I can't say too many kind things about the color, nor the interior (really nice, but too ordinary) - but everything else, I mean - WOW! (of course, I peeked underneath, but I couldn't see much...just two exaust pipes making there way back up to the front.) The headlights on this thing are downright sinister.

And I had the lady in charge of pontiac pop the hood for me. (yeah, I was a pain and I asked her.) What's funny is, although those scoops aren't (supposedly) functional - they sure do look that way, down to the fake vents on the underside of the hood...........

But, on to the L76...that engine cover isn't as plasticy as it seems in pictures. At least, I didn't think so. I mean, it IS plastic, but it's hard, and rough, like cast metal - pretty cool. Overall - it's bigger than the Camaro, they were across the room; and even then I could tell that. VERY nice car. Pontiac has a hit on their hands.

As we left, we passed a great-looking Shelby Mustang. And that was that.

Like I said, I hope this didn't bore any of you, but if it did...huh, think of my 'report' after Indy!
Old 02-10-2008, 03:02 PM   #2
munkee drummer

Drives: 2010 convertible
Ahhhhhh the infamous gas cap!!! Awesome pics man! Love the red one!
munkee drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 03:03 PM   #3
TheMadHatter99
Kept the Faith

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
Very nice!

The biggest crowd at the Baltimore show was around the Camaro as well (and that includes the exotics like Ferraris and Lambos). None of them could compare to the Camaro's popularity.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:45 PM   #4
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang 'Natasha'
Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
Talking

Dragoneye, i was at the show today, i was disappointed with the missing Bumblebee but was VERY happy with the red 'maro. and the G8 was a pleasant surprise as well. i took picks of the red camaro, the bullitt stang and the G8 and some of the 'firepower' my camera is a old 2.1MP HP so the pics are NOT as good as yours but they are decent as soon as i get the chance i will upload them.

PS, what part of NY are you in?
Old 02-10-2008, 05:15 PM   #5
Jak

Drives: 03 Dodge Dakota
Yawn. . . . . . Kidding, kidding Seriously, you got some really nice pics there, I snagged one of the Red Camaro's for a wallpaper, hope you don't mind? I'm kind of glad to here about the size of the Camaro, if I wanted a boat, I'd be looking at the Challenger. But also these pics make me a little tick at GM, I can only get one car (The Camaro), so what's GM do come out with the new Malibu (sharp looking car) and the G8 GT (Another beautiful car) and even worse, the prices are very reasonable. . Anyway's great work Dragoneye
Jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 08:41 PM   #6
z28camaro2471
C5 Member #227

Drives: Camaros
Nice work!
z28camaro2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 09:15 PM   #7
SSFreak11

Drives: 2005 Dodge Ram Hemi
Hey MadHatter, which camaro was at the Baltimore show? I tried everything in my power to make it but my work schedule would not allow me to make it up there.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:17 PM   #8
joes3rdcamaro82/91/2010
Z28 Hold Out!

Drives: 2000 Monte Carlo SS
Great stuff Dragon!!! Car shows like that are a little dry in my neck of the woods.
joes3rdcamaro82/91/2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 09:22 PM   #9
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McFly View Post
Dragoneye, i was at the show today, i was disappointed with the missing Bumblebee but was VERY happy with the red 'maro. and the G8 was a pleasant surprise as well. i took picks of the red camaro, the bullitt stang and the G8 and some of the 'firepower' my camera is a old 2.1MP HP so the pics are NOT as good as yours but they are decent as soon as i get the chance i will upload them.

PS, what part of NY are you in?
That's cool! Was there a lot of folks there? I always sorta wondered what the turnout was like on the last day of an auto show.

I'm from the West Seneca Area...so, not too far away.

Thanks guys! Maybe I'll post some more pics up later on...or finish up my photoshop list....hmmm: what to do?
Old 02-10-2008, 09:25 PM   #10
Jeff
~ANTI-FORD~

Drives: Cadillac CTS
Send a message via MSN to Jeff
I see a body, thats not a dragster, its a funny car. It doesn't look top fuel either, looks more like a top alcohol funny car unless its IHRA, then its top fuel judging by the supercharger. Which is a tad bit slower than NHRA even though IHRA has no limit on cubic inches lol. You seriously haven't seen one in person?.. I should upload pictures of our dragster. We had it built in 04 and raced at IHRA national events. - btw go to a NHRA national when they hit up the east cost. Cheer for John Force for me

As for the other pictures, I'm drooling over that Z06, our Vette isn't a Z06 =[

& lol @ that one guy looking at the camera with the weird face.

sorry guys.. sold Camaro and got a Cadillac CTS, waiting for a few years to get a 2010 SS used ;]
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 09:33 PM   #11
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I see body panels, thats not a dragster, its a funny car. It doesn't look top fuel either, looks more like a top alcohol funny car unless its IHRA, then its top fuel possible judging by the supercharger. Which is a tad bit slower than NHRA even though IHRA has no limit on cubic inches lol. You seriously haven't seen one in person?.. I should upload pictures of our dragster. We had it built in 04 and raced at IHRA national events. - btw go to a NHRA national when they hit up the east cost. Cheer for John Force for me

As for the other pictures, I'm drooling over that Z06, our Vette isn't a Z06 =[

& lol @ that one guy looking at the camera with the weird face.
:( Unfortunately, I know the difference between the two (like you said, body panels) but, they're all just 'dragsters' to me. I don't follow the sport close enough to specify when I talk about it. In my head, it's "Go fast + straight line = Dragster"

And no, I've never seen one of those engines/cars in person before...That powerhouse was up to my chest!!! It was definitely itimidating...cog-belt, and all

As for funny-face guy - I almost spit my water all over the screen after the pics loaded on the site, I didn't notice before then. Though, I can kinda understand him, I just stuck my arm up in the air really quick, aimed and snapped a picture. He's prolly thinking 'wtf??"
Old 02-10-2008, 10:14 PM   #12
TheMadHatter99
Kept the Faith

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSFreak11 View Post
Hey MadHatter, which camaro was at the Baltimore show? I tried everything in my power to make it but my work schedule would not allow me to make it up there.
The silver (functioning) coupe was there and it was gorgeous. It's a shame you couldn't make it because pictures really don't do the car justice at all.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:30 AM   #13
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Excellent review of the show, Draogon! And yes, I'm jealous.......the only one I haven't gotten to see yet. It looks like you had a pretty good turn out on veh's and got to see a great line up. I told you pix don't do it justice!

Oh....and this.... ....eeet's so purdy....
Attached Images

TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:00 AM   #14
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
Dragon

Thanks for that recap...very nice...I'm jealous for sure....we don't get many concepts at all when our Auto Show rolls through (late Jan.). It's a nice show, lots of attendees as far as vehicles, but nothing you can't really see on the streets or dealer lots. My wife and I made a trip to Chicago for the auto show one year....I will be doing that again....I also want to hit a Detroit show and an LA show sometime.

Anyway, thanks for all of that.

Follow up...the Firepower was supposed to be the "Chrysler version" of the Viper. They were going with the 6.1L Hemi rather than the 8.3L V-10 from the Viper, but....based on their killing the Viper, I could see this project going one of two ways....they could kill it and use the same reasoning that they used for the Viper. Or, they could use it as the Viper replacement. They should be able to justify the costs since so much of it would be "from the parts bins". Plus, it would allow them to keep the "Viper chassis" in production, thus updated, so when they bring the Viper back, they have a solid, proven piece to start with.....just a thought.

For anyone interested, here is more info on the Firepower.

http://www.chrysler.com/en/autoshow/...les/firepower/
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote