Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-26-2011, 12:56 PM   #1
mgoodbar
White 2ss, LT, CAI, Tune

Drives: 2010 L99
fuse pull/ L99/ cats

Ok I hope this helps out some folks.

The Issue, I had to keep doing fuse pulls on my camaro like every other day on my stock tune running 93 gas.

Ok so yesterday I put my stock tune back on my car and went out and did a scan. I had knock retard of up to 3.2 and it was all over the place, even at some half throttle runs. The out side temp was 78 on this run. With the stock tune.

I got back home and called the guys over to help remove the rear cats. we removed the mid pipes and removed the rear cats. I went for a similar run scanning the whole time. The kr was not as much, but it was still there. 82 degrees out side now

So, we removed the mid pipes again and removed the front cats. This time the stock tune showed 0 KR. no matter how I hammered on the car I could not get it to show any thing.. Out side temp was 89 on the last scanning that was done. So I put Ted tune back on my car and ran the car again. Same result, no Kr no matter what I did.

So by doing this I am to conclude, that there are some cars out there, that will have knock retard from the factory. This would make the car default to a lower octain timing table no matter what kind of gas we put in the car. The solution is High flow cats, no cats, headders and high flow cats is the best. I know I will be ordering some ASAP. Now my car runs like a monster and sounds great if I might add.

I hope this helps some people out...
mgoodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:06 PM   #2
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
If stock cats are causing knock that would not be good! What other mods do you have done to your car?
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:42 PM   #3
mgoodbar
White 2ss, LT, CAI, Tune

K&N filter system, Jannetty tune, and X pipe....

We spent about 1 hr going over the exhaust system to make sure nothing was touching, before we ever remove a rear cat.. there was pleanty of clearance.

We did find, in the front cats a interesting note. there are 3, say 2in wide individual ceramic cats. They are just stacked together and wraped with fiberglass.. I though that Cats were one solid piece inside? not 3 differant pieces.... we are guessing that some how maybe they were not lined up correctly on the driver side. Best we could tell, with a flash light, we could not see through that one compared to the pasanger side.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:54 AM   #4
mgoodbar
White 2ss, LT, CAI, Tune

Ha, So my CEL cam on, becouse of the cats being removed.... All I can say It Jannetty racing rocks, Ted is to cool. Dude he went ahead and sent me a updated tune to turn of the CEL..... Thats to cool.. I dont know to many tunners that would go through all the troube to make a coustemer happy....

Dyno speed racing in memphis broke the crap out of my buddy wallet just for a super charger pully swap.....500 for the inital set up. 200 buck and did not change any thing, told him he needed new clamps and a new o2 sencer . then he had to take it back again and dish out another 200 dyno tune total 900..... all for 1 lb more of boost.. All I can say is Ted is to cool.... He has worket on my car becouse of the KR issue, like crazy.... And after, I find out that its the car that has issues, he steps in and fixes that to...

Last edited by mgoodbar; 10-28-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:47 PM   #5
white ZL1

Drives: none
Crap. I'm trying to figure out why I'm seeing anywhere from 3 to 5 degrees of retard at WOT on a stock L99 too. This isn't what I wanted to hear...err....read.
white ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote