Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-14-2009, 07:29 PM   #1
Dynabyte

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS/NPP Red Hot
Uncommon paint problem - Bee poo etching

I live 30 minutes east of Oakland in Contra Costa County, CA. Since I've lived here, I've had to deal with Bee (and maybe other insect) droppings. It doesn't matter whether you park under a tree or in the open, after 8 hours there will be dozens of 1/8" round or string-like yellow spots. It happens mostly during spring/summer.

My previous cars were a 1999 BMW, 2004 Acura TL, 2007 TL, and my wife drives a Kia SUV. With all of these cars, it was an annoyance but didn't damage the paint. Here's an article for the curious:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Bee-Poop-on-Your-Car

I used a clay-bar and then waxed my Camaro when it had <25 miles. It now has 450 miles. Here's the problem - I've removed the spots by using water or Zaino finishing spray, however - the pollen poo is etching the clear coat. I have run a clay bar over existing spots, used swirl remover, and repolished. The clear is definitely etched to a point that compounding would be required. My challenge is that in a year, hundreds if not many hundreds of droppings will have to be dealt with.

My LT is an early (VIN 3589) Victory Red and it does have 2-3 other small paint defects not noticed until I spent time detailing. If you were in my situation, would you just deal with it or get it repainted (which could imply a new set of issues)? I traded in my primary mode of transportation in when I bought it - trying to get the dealer to take it back and provide a new one is prolly out of the question.

I don't have pics, but can take some if required. Think 1/8" craters visible at certain angles which are small in number, but will multiply over time. Thanks much for any and all input -

And I'm sure there will be some comedic answers to this thread - be kind to a fellow Camaro lover
Dynabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:40 AM   #2
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
I have never heard of this..to be honest I clicked it assuming it was a joke. That sucks, I don't know what you could really do. Does wax or polish protect it at all. I'm thinking maybe if you got a good shell of wax on it once a week, it would protect the clear.. I really don't know just kinda thinking out loud. I never even considered the fact that bees pooped before.......
CamaroDreams07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:50 AM   #3
Dynabyte

I've only had the Camaro for a couple of weeks, and the one time I waxed it I put on two coats of Meguiar's NXT 2.0. The bee stuff eats right through. As I mentioned, many other cars (including a co-workers 2008 Vette) don't get damaged. I'm thinking it may be something specific to the paint job on this car.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:53 AM   #4
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynabyte View Post
I live 30 minutes east of Oakland in Contra Costa County, CA. Since I've lived here, I've had to deal with Bee (and maybe other insect) droppings. It doesn't matter whether you park under a tree or in the open, after 8 hours there will be dozens of 1/8" round or string-like yellow spots. It happens mostly during spring/summer.

My previous cars were a 1999 BMW, 2004 Acura TL, 2007 TL, and my wife drives a Kia SUV. With all of these cars, it was an annoyance but didn't damage the paint. Here's an article for the curious:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Bee-Poop-on-Your-Car

I used a clay-bar and then waxed my Camaro when it had <25 miles. It now has 450 miles. Here's the problem - I've removed the spots by using water or Zaino finishing spray, however - the pollen poo is etching the clear coat. I have run a clay bar over existing spots, used swirl remover, and repolished. The clear is definitely etched to a point that compounding would be required. My challenge is that in a year, hundreds if not many hundreds of droppings will have to be dealt with.

My LT is an early (VIN 3589) Victory Red and it does have 2-3 other small paint defects not noticed until I spent time detailing. If you were in my situation, would you just deal with it or get it repainted (which could imply a new set of issues)? I traded in my primary mode of transportation in when I bought it - trying to get the dealer to take it back and provide a new one is prolly out of the question.

I don't have pics, but can take some if required. Think 1/8" craters visible at certain angles which are small in number, but will multiply over time. Thanks much for any and all input -

And I'm sure there will be some comedic answers to this thread - be kind to a fellow Camaro lover
Near Oakland and all the pollution in the air the bugs are putting pretty much concentrated acid rain on the car. Same problem with just rain in southern NJ when I lived there.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:11 PM   #5
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
This spring when the bees came out my 72 got peppered with bee sh!t. Tough stuff to remove. It only happens when the swarm...you need a cover for that period.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:18 PM   #6
fieldgoal00
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS
I had some on my fiancee's car down here in new orleans,la and I don't have a problem removing them with some quick detailer. I clay bar'd the car and waxed it this weekend. They are not eating into her paint they just come right up.
fieldgoal00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:24 PM   #7
Dynabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUR72GTO View Post
This spring when the bees came out my 72 got peppered with bee sh!t. Tough stuff to remove. It only happens when the swarm...you need a cover for that period.
I've thought about a cover, but there's alot of folks where I work with much more expensive cars (BMW M6, Porche GT3, lots of MBs) and they don't use a cover. I'd get ribbed quite a bit I'm sure. Also, 99% of the vehicles out there can deal with it - it does take some time but it comes off fine. There's alot of bee colonists in the area from what I've found out...
Old 07-15-2009, 07:28 PM   #8
GMtothecore
"That Guy"

Drives: Camaro SS...........what else?
Location: OOOOOOOklahoma where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains.
That sucks....I hate fly poo.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:30 PM   #9
pnyklr

Drives: A Gift From My Wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynabyte View Post
I'd get ribbed quite a bit I'm sure.
IMHO, getting ribbed is better than having your paint destroyed.

-Funk
pnyklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:57 AM   #10
WICKEDSS
Dan

Drives: THE BEAST
****CAR COVER***
WICKEDSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:09 PM   #11
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Yes, the cover helps, however, it's tough to drive it when it's covered

I HATE those damn spots! I Z6 spray and clean them but after reading this, need to look closer at what it's doing to my finish!! :(
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:34 PM   #12
djm96z28

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS LS3
When I bought a new white '93 Camaro, in the spring/summer I'd get little orange spots on it. I have no idea what they were. I tried to wash them off, but that didn't work. I tried polish/wax, and that didn't work either. But as the days went by, they faded and disappeared by themselves. And when I got them again later on, they vanished also a few days later. There's just a lot of crap in the atmosphere I guess.
djm96z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 03:37 PM   #13
Dynabyte

Now I've got several different paint issues - there's the fisheyes, many places with debris under the paint, 3 areas where the paint is starting to peel, and now several dozen bee poo etchings that will not compound or wax out. I brought it to the dealer a month ago, and he instructed me to wait a bit before making the claim, as there's a good chance they will need to do the entire car. This will happen shortly, as there are now issues with every panel unfortunately. Looks great from a distance though!
Old 09-26-2009, 08:41 PM   #14
MikeZ28

Drives: '04 GTO, '00 Z28, '95 Z28
Y'all are tallking about those small yellow or orange spots or drips you sometimes see on cars? I always wonder where those come from, in central TX they are very common. But usually they wipe off OK with a moist cloth and don't leave any damage. Sometimes they leave a little yellow oil behind on white cars, but it doesn't seem to be permanent.

New cars of all brands seem to have more and more paint issues. Almost everything has orange peel, and everyone complains how easily the paint chips. Most people say it's because of the environmental requirements on new paints & application systems.
MikeZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote