Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-17-2010, 10:57 AM   #1
thetournykid

Drives: 03 mustang, Upgrading!!
Is there anyway to guesstimate the price of getting to "x" number of HP?

Ok first off, i'm a novice so i'm sorry if this is kind of dumb

Anyway, i'm going to be buying a 2SS here in hopefully 1-2 months, i have a budget that i'm looking to spend on add ons/ making it look awesome.

I'm trying to learn as i go, and figure this is a good way to start, with such a amazing fourm. ( seriously guy's i havent been like bashed or anything on my COMPLETE lack of knowledge on cars so thank you )

I would like to know, is there a rough price some people can tell me on reaching like... 500hp would cost...? I know it will depend on what i do, if its not as easy as telling me that, can anyone post a price/ how much HP some attactchment would add?

I've been looking around and know just a couple

Super charger or TT setup would be like 8k or so, but i forget how much HP, maybe like 550?

A cold air intake cost... $400? and would add maybe 15 HP?

I'm really looking for anyone just to tell me things i can do / price to make my soon to be baby go faster

( the TT/super charger set up is gonna be a close descsion because it reallly puts a BIG dent in my price for add ons, however i heard its like the best to add horses ) Is there a way to make the HP be faster then a TT setup for the price? like could i reach 550hp ( or w/e it is ) for like 5k with other things?

so if you guys can just name w/e things could add horse power that maybe are worth the price.

Anything else you want to add feel free to do so!

Thank you all very much, i really appricate it
thetournykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:00 AM   #2
MIT'13

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 1LT / RS
How much HP and money is in question?
You can get a Hurst, Hennessey, or Lingenfelter kit for 700HP at the rear wheels.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:16 AM   #3
thetournykid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIT'13 View Post
How much HP and money is in question?
You can get a Hurst, Hennessey, or Lingenfelter kit for 700HP at the rear wheels.

I want as many HP as i can get

I have 15k to spend on the add ons

what exactly is one of those kits? + where could i look at one/price of them

Thanks man
Old 08-17-2010, 11:39 AM   #4
wylde1
I am the Stig

Drives: Black w/ IOM stripe 1SS
I could be wrong but I believe those particular tuner kits are quite expensive. Like in the 20-25k range and up. Mind you, they do ALOT more than just bolt on power stuff, and provide useable reliable power with warranty. These "kits" range from a few bolt ons, to full on engine swaps with suspension upgrades. If you just want to drop your car off with some money and get it back with more power, these are definitely the right choice. (unless you've got a good speed shop near you that can do upgrades as well)

if you're just looking to bolt on power here are some of the main options people use. Price and power varies a bit, these are generalizations. (And conservative HP guesses)

LT headers - $1500-$1700 typically, +30-40 hp and agressive sound

full cat-back larger diameter exhaust - comparable price to headers, don't net you much if any power on their own, but coupled with large collector long tubes can add another 5-10 hp on top of the headers. mostly just changes sound though.

CAI - as you mentioned about $400 bucks, +15 HP for a good kit.

Tuning - varies widely, a good dyno tune is probably about 500 bucks. Not really worth it if you havn't done anything else to your engine though. no way to really put a HP number on a tune, but it is more like a multiplier for anything else you've done. MIGHT add 10 hp if you've done nothing else, I'd be surprised to hear more although I suppose it's not impossible.

after the above mentioned things, you start to get into engine modifications and swaps. and all that stuff is such a wide HP range and varies so much there's no way to really give you an estimate.

but if I had 15k to spend on performance upgrades alone... here's how I'd do it.

LT Headers + Cat-Back ~3k
Cam swap ~1k (typical for my local shop, yours may vary)
Supercharger ~8k
CAI + Tune ~1k

It's not unreasonable to expect 600 hp at the wheels with that kind of setup. Of course you have to choose each of those components properly to work together, but that would likely get you there. If you knock the supercharger out and just go with a good naturally aspirated cam you could probably get 500 at the wheels, and have more money left over for cosmetics.

but you said you want as much as you can get haha so that's how i'd spend 15K on power
Old 08-17-2010, 11:46 AM   #5
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Why not wait for the z28?

Old 08-17-2010, 11:57 AM   #6
thetournykid

Quote:
Originally Posted by wylde1 View Post
I could be wrong but I believe those particular tuner kits are quite expensive. Like in the 20-25k range and up. Mind you, they do ALOT more than just bolt on power stuff, and provide useable reliable power with warranty. These "kits" range from a few bolt ons, to full on engine swaps with suspension upgrades. If you just want to drop your car off with some money and get it back with more power, these are definitely the right choice. (unless you've got a good speed shop near you that can do upgrades as well)

if you're just looking to bolt on power here are some of the main options people use. Price and power varies a bit, these are generalizations. (And conservative HP guesses)

LT headers - $1500-$1700 typically, +30-40 hp and agressive sound

full cat-back larger diameter exhaust - comparable price to headers, don't net you much if any power on their own, but coupled with large collector long tubes can add another 5-10 hp on top of the headers. mostly just changes sound though.

CAI - as you mentioned about $400 bucks, +15 HP for a good kit.

Tuning - varies widely, a good dyno tune is probably about 500 bucks. Not really worth it if you havn't done anything else to your engine though. no way to really put a HP number on a tune, but it is more like a multiplier for anything else you've done. MIGHT add 10 hp if you've done nothing else, I'd be surprised to hear more although I suppose it's not impossible.

after the above mentioned things, you start to get into engine modifications and swaps. and all that stuff is such a wide HP range and varies so much there's no way to really give you an estimate.

but if I had 15k to spend on performance upgrades alone... here's how I'd do it.

LT Headers + Cat-Back ~3k
Cam swap ~1k (typical for my local shop, yours may vary)
Supercharger ~8k
CAI + Tune ~1k

It's not unreasonable to expect 600 hp at the wheels with that kind of setup. Of course you have to choose each of those components properly to work together, but that would likely get you there. If you knock the supercharger out and just go with a good naturally aspirated cam you could probably get 500 at the wheels, and have more money left over for cosmetics.

but you said you want as much as you can get haha so that's how i'd spend 15K on power

Awesome post buddy , thank you!

I'll look into these things

Anyone else with suggestions is very appricated as well

thanks
Old 08-17-2010, 02:18 PM   #7
wylde1
I am the Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
Why not wait for the z28?

I'm probably going to get destroyed for this, but if you put 15k into the powertrain with the parts I mentioned above... there's REAL good odds you'll have more power than the z28 for a bit less money. Granted you won't have the body kit and badging.

but if you're talking strictly bang for your buck horsepower and speed, a 1SS with 15k in powertrain upgrades will likely smoke a stock z28. and depending on the pricing of the Z because no one knows what it'll be yet, you may even have money left over.

/flame suit on
Old 08-17-2010, 02:23 PM   #8
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:
I'm probably going to get destroyed for this, but if you put 15k into the powertrain with the parts I mentioned above... there's REAL good odds you'll have more power than the z28 for a bit less money. Granted you won't have the body kit and badging.

but if you're talking strictly bang for your buck horsepower and speed, a 1SS with 15k in powertrain upgrades will likely smoke a stock z28. and depending on the pricing of the Z because no one knows what it'll be yet, you may even have money left over.

/flame suit on
warranty > your arguement.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:32 PM   #9
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Since you just joined this site and don't have a Camaro yet, i'd suggest you spend your time reading the FI and bolt-on section. You should get all the information you need from there. Since you're wanting bang for the buck, i'd suggest you find a single shop that can do all your work. A single shop should be more willing to cut you a deal on labor. Also know that it isn't all about HP. You'll need to possibly improve your drivetrain and definitely suspension as well.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:40 PM   #10
wylde1
I am the Stig

Quote:
warranty > your arguement.

somewhat true.... Warranty is important to some... not usually to the hp hungry though.

if that is a major consideration. have a reputable shop do the install, and they will warranty their work anyway.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:57 PM   #11
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:
somewhat true.... Warranty is important to some... not usually to the hp hungry though.

if that is a major consideration. have a reputable shop do the install, and they will warranty their work anyway.
well yeah, they'll warranty their parts. They won't warranty the engine/drivetrain/tranny. lol

My post was a bit of a joke anyway. I know when someone with a v6 comes on here to ask about adding HP, some smarty pants will come in here and just say "get a v8".
Old 08-17-2010, 04:15 PM   #12
wylde1
I am the Stig

Quote:
well yeah, they'll warranty their parts. They won't warranty the engine/drivetrain/tranny. lol

My post was a bit of a joke anyway. I know when someone with a v6 comes on here to ask about adding HP, some smarty pants will come in here and just say "get a v8".
yeah I hear ya haha I can only really speak for myself, but when I end up going for the power adders, the factory drivetrain warranty is the last thing on my mind anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettzel View Post
Well isn't the Z28 supposed to have better brakes and suspension, which means it would be better all around, maybe just not in a straight line, than your car will end up as.
If this is true I agree with you. However all I've heard so far is it will be an SS with a supercharger and facelift. I would love to see them put brake and suspension upgrades on it though. THEN it would be worth waiting for IMO Without that stuff though, I think the money is better spent elsewhere.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:34 PM   #13
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
General rule of thumb, (based on my experience) is to figure around $100 per Horsepower Gained. You may get by with less if you manage acquisitions and your budget carefully.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:50 PM   #14
harmonicator
Super Lead Plexi

Drives: "Elvira" 2010 Blk Camaro 3SS/RS LS3
Regarding exaust, if you're going to get LT headers you should consider getting the "full system" which would include everything from the primaries all the way to the tips/tailpipes. That way you get one complete system that is designed and engineered to fit and perform the best it can.

It's also going to be cheaper than buying the headers and a separate "cat back".