Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-02-2016, 01:37 PM   #29
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff657756 View Post
Do you know the specs of the ones that had valve train issues?
From my recollection their package didn't match up the correct spring components. Not really a cam issue but more an IDK WTH I'm selling problem. With the combination of Cam Motion and BTR I'm quite sure this cam package is a good one.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:13 PM   #30
RS Speedriver

Drives: 2018 camaro 1ss 1LE
now i am confussed. people say one thing. people say another. you go with one persons option then another and by the end of the day you dont know what to get. my goal is to hit a 10 to 11 second pass with a NA set up. so i would like a cam to support that goal.
RS Speedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 05:15 PM   #31
supergt99

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS Speedriver View Post
now i am confussed. people say one thing. people say another. you go with one persons option then another and by the end of the day you dont know what to get. my goal is to hit a 10 to 11 second pass with a NA set up. so i would like a cam to support that goal.
if your looking for racing you should probably go custom so there is no questions
supergt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:31 PM   #32
62nalide

Drives: 2013 SS
You wanna go 10s NA look at the fast list. Reach out to the 10sec NA guys for tips and ideas. The problem was the NF cam was so hot they grabbed whatever cam they had tagged it as a NF cam and sold it with parts not recommended. I know of 3 different specs they called NF plus their VVT. It's better then stock yes it's specd to chop and perform with some power adders (not a roots style blower happy cam) and it's not an NA Max effert cam.
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:10 PM   #33
mp51998

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff657756 View Post
I fell for the hype too lol. Its not a bad cam, but there are better ones out there. You kind of scared me I thought that said "valvetrain" at first. What are you going to replace it with?
It was a typo on my side and should have read valve train. The tops of my valve stems were all chewed up on the exhaust side and I was close to dropping a valve. My early kit, non Cam Motion, came with the PAC springs and as I had 25K on it I was swapping them out with BTR springs when I found the damage. I have since checked my wife's car, we had cams installed at the same time, and hers is fine. I am building a 427 with a less aggressive cam for more of a street/road course car. As soon as my car is done I will be changing the cam in her car as I feel it is on borrowed time and will probably add a SC. Her car will be street only with occasional Autocross.

As mentioned just recently, the cams are probably much better with the Cam Motion core and BTR spring package. Our cars put out 492/486 and 486/490 respectively. She was having issues with her tune after about a year so Matt from FSP retuned hers and got 493 out of hers. He just had to one up mine. All dyno runs were witnessed by both of us so I know that's what they "read". And yes I know all dynos are different and all cars are different and the weather and blah, blah, blah.

OP just make sure to do the research and really consider what you are going to use the car for, now and in the future. Be honest with yourself as your future plans may change. Then get a cam spec'd for that.
mp51998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:39 PM   #34
fif_gen_powa

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Turbo
I know personally one guy with a nf cam, it sounds great, but only ended up making 44x or 45x whp and never did better than a mid to low 12 in the 1/4 with cam/full bolt ons. He's had it a while think when they were being hyped up a lot, it's interesting there are various grinds being sold all as the same
fif_gen_powa is offline   Reply With Quote