Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Phastek Performance

Old 04-26-2018, 09:18 PM   #1
EMTNLSS

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Having a clunking noise at low speeds in what seems like the rear of the car

So I have pretty much almost every BMR rear part installed. Lockout kit, single adj. upper control and upper trailing arm, poly lower trailing arm, toe rods, and both cradle braces. I also have hotchkis sway bars and am lowered on aFe springs. I've had the sway bars and springs installed for a while without any issues.

Now onto the problem. I didn't really notice any clunks after first getting the BMR stuff installed. It's been a few weeks now and now i'm noticing a good amount of clunking in the rear at slow speeds. I jacked up the car and tightened everything down and am still getting the clunking. Should I loosen everything again and torque it back down? Maybe it's the sway bar endlinks? Maybe upgrading to the BMR endlinks would fix it? Thanks for the help!

I've also installed ZL1 1LE front control arms and radius rods so it maybe could be those but definitely sounds like it's coming from the rear.

Current Mods: Catch Can | aFe Lowering Springs | GM 2nd Gen Splitter | Hotchkis Sway Bars | MRR FS02 Wheels | Flowmaster Exhaust | Dark Tail Lights | Diode Dynamics Sidemarkers | Roto Fab | Solar TB | PRAY Ported IM | BMR | PRAY Tune

Upcoming Mods:

Last edited by EMTNLSS; 04-26-2018 at 10:44 PM.
EMTNLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:23 PM   #2
EMTNLSS

Well I got under there again today and torqued everything again. My lower poly trailing arms were a little loose so I tightened those. Sway bar end links were tight. Nothing has changed though. Still getting clunking at slow speeds. A odd thing though is in the morning when it's about 50 degrees it didn't really clunk at all. When it was 80 degrees today it clunked. Maybe the sway bar bushing are already worn out?

I think my next step will be to disconnect the sway bar in the rear to see if the clunk goes away. If it doesn't after that i'm going to check the front arms and retorque the radius rod with load because I didn't torque it with load when I installed it.

Current Mods: Catch Can | aFe Lowering Springs | GM 2nd Gen Splitter | Hotchkis Sway Bars | MRR FS02 Wheels | Flowmaster Exhaust | Dark Tail Lights | Diode Dynamics Sidemarkers | Roto Fab | Solar TB | PRAY Ported IM | BMR | PRAY Tune

Upcoming Mods:

Last edited by EMTNLSS; 04-28-2018 at 07:02 AM.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:38 AM   #3
BMR Tech

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTNLSS View Post
Well I got under there again today and torqued everything again. My lower poly trailing arms were a little loose so I tightened those. Sway bar end links were tight. Nothing has changed though. Still getting clunking at slow speeds. A odd thing though is in the morning when it's about 50 degrees it didn't really clunk at all. When it was 80 degrees today it clunked. Maybe the sway bar bushing are already worn out?

I think my next step will be to disconnect the sway bar in the rear to see if the clunk goes away. If it doesn't after that i'm going to check the front arms and retorque the radius rod with load because I didn't torque it with load when I installed it.
Did you find the issue? If not give me a call and I will talk it through with you to see if we can help narrow it down and solve the issue.

Frank Steadman
BMR Suspension
813-986-9302
frank@bmrsuspension.com
BMR Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 02:52 PM   #4
EMTNLSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Tech View Post
Did you find the issue? If not give me a call and I will talk it through with you to see if we can help narrow it down and solve the issue.

Frank Steadman
BMR Suspension
813-986-9302
frank@bmrsuspension.com
Not yet. Today I plan on taking the sway bar end links off to see if it's something to do with the sway bar.

Upcoming Mods:
Old 05-07-2018, 09:00 PM   #5
EMTNLSS

So I got the sway bar end links off and it didn't make the noise. I put them back on and it still didn't make the noise so maybe something just wasn't torqued right on the links. I think i'll still upgrade to the BMR links though.

Upcoming Mods:
Old 05-08-2018, 11:26 AM   #6
BMR Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTNLSS View Post
So I got the sway bar end links off and it didn't make the noise. I put them back on and it still didn't make the noise so maybe something just wasn't torqued right on the links. I think i'll still upgrade to the BMR links though.

10-4 let me know if I can help with anything.

Frank Steadman
BMR Suspension
813-986-9302
frank@bmrsuspension.com
Old 05-29-2018, 04:32 PM   #7
SS2017_MJB

Drives: 2017 SS Coupe 2SS 8AT (427CI, D1X)
Clunking Noise in Rear of Car

The problem is your toe rods. I had same issue and the noise became more pronounced as the ambient temperature rose. No real problem below 70 degrees (I had my installed towards tail end of winter so issue was masked) but as climbed past 70 into 80 and 90 degrees it sounded like my suspension was going to disconnect. I brought my car back to the performance shop that installed all my BMR rear parts and, the senior technician, who also has experience with upgrading suspensions with BMR parts for racing, indicated that the lockout bolt connections get looser with increased temperature and since they aren't rubber (but metal) there will be noise. And it will get worse with wear. I actually ignored Frank's recommendation that I didn't need the toe rods in my on-street application. I regret that decision. I will replace the BMR toe rods with OEM rods to eliminate the cluncking noise, which can be very irritating as trip length extends and temperature increases.
SS2017_MJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:29 PM   #8
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Havent had a toe rod issue... but did you remove the shocks?

Check the lower shock mounts if you did. I lived and learned.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 03:56 PM   #9
HyperspaceTurd

Drives: 17 1SS 6MT, 09 Tacoma TRD Sport
I have the toe rods on my car. It seems like you can get into trouble if you don't take care to keep the rod ends perpendicular to the end bolts as you tighten the lock nuts. If the rod ends are a little crooked, I don't see how they wouldn't clunk like a mofo.
HyperspaceTurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:46 PM   #10
EMTNLSS

Yea it definitely gets worse with temperature. It was 90 today and it was clunking pretty bad. Some of my rod ends are perfectly straight so i'm gonna pull out each arm and make sure they're straight and tighten the jam nuts down tight and hope that fixes it. I also went around a roundabout today at slow speeds and it almost sounded like I heard a metal on metal rubbing noise. I'll see if I can see where it rubbed if it did.

Upcoming Mods:
Old 06-23-2018, 04:20 PM   #11
Cmyskill
17 ZL1 what a car....

Drives: 2021 M S PLAID, 2017 ZL1 A10 White
Send a message via AIM to Cmyskill
EMTNLSS,

Ok, I found the issue on my car. I had the wife push the car up and down while I used a stethoscope to listen for the clunking sound. Well, I found it.... Mine was the upper Control Adjustable Arm PN: BMR UTC063. I put the stock upper control arm back in and Zero sound from the rear of the car. Hope this helps you out, let me know. The car is enjoyable again....lol I am sure the BMR part is far superior in performance vs the stock but I could not deal with the clunking noise ever few seconds.

Also, I did leave ALL the other BMR Suspension parts on the car.

Name:  BMR Upper CAAa.jpg
Views: 3987
Size:  330.2 KB
Attached Images

Last edited by Cmyskill; 06-23-2018 at 04:29 PM. Reason: NEW PIC
Cmyskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:03 PM   #12
EMTNLSS

Thanks for the info. That could very well be it as I have the single adjustable arms with the rod end also. I'm going to take that arm off and make sure the jam nut is really tight and see if that fixes it. If not i'll put the stock arm back on and see if it's that arm for me.

If anyone from BMR is reading this care to chime and tell us if this is normal?

Upcoming Mods:
Old 06-25-2018, 07:19 PM   #13
EMTNLSS

So I took off my control arms and upper trailing arms (lower trailing is poly) and straitened the rod ends as they were a little crooked and made sure the jam nuts were tight.

On my first drive after they didn't make any noise so i'm hoping that fixed the clunking. I'll see if it comes back at all over the next few days.

Upcoming Mods:
Old 06-27-2018, 10:15 AM   #14
BMR Tech

Clunking is definitely not "normal". The rod ends will transmit any noise that is created by the suspension. If you believe that it is a defective rod end making the noise please contact me directly by phone 813-986-9302 or email, frank@bmrsuspension.com so we can take care of the issue.

Frank Steadman
Sales Tech
BMR Suspension
813-986-9302
frank@bmrsuspension.com