Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-08-2012, 01:30 PM   #1
kmmink

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS/GFX CRT/Beige A6
My Complete Detailing Shopping List

Here are the items I am considering. I have decided on most things, but still have a few that I am undecided about.

This is for an ordered 2013 Camaro that I will be receiving in a couple of weeks. I know I may be able to skip the polishing step/steps. It all depends on the condition of the paint after I pick it up from the dealer.

I am going to tell the dealer to not touch it as far as washing/detailing goes. I know it won't be shiny when I pick it up, but that's better then them putting swirls and scratches all over the place.

Junkman, CamaroDreams07, others - any suggestions? Also, is it safe to use a sealant and wax on a new car?

NOTE 1: * means already have; ** means decided; *** means undecided.
NOTE 2: RED font represents the products I decided to purchase where I was previously undecided.

Equipment:
** Hose connector with shutoff valve
** Quick connects - 1 female; 4 males
*** Hose nozzle - Bon-Aire Original Ultimate Aluminum Hose Nozzle
*** Spray Gun - Bon-Aire BSG2 Wash-N-Rinse Spray Gun in Blue with Rotating Spray Head
** Gilmour Foamaster 75QGFMR
* (2) 5 gal. buckets
** (2) Grit guards
** Mothers Wheel & Wheel Well Long Handled Brush
** Griot's Garage 15597 Lug Nut Cleaning Brush
** Griot's Garage 15736 Long Reach Wheel Brush - Set of 3
** Griot's Garage 11205 Blue Detail Sponge - Set of 2
*** Block sponges (for various detailing) - Flex Foam Tire Dressing Applicators 3 Pack
** (2) Mothers Genuine Lambswool Wash Mitt
** Meguiars Porter Cable XP Ultra Polish Kit with 5.5 Inch Pads (this kit also contains products - Mirror Glaze #105 Ultra-Cut Compound, Mirror Glaze #205 Ultra Finishing Polish)
** Meguiar's W 9207 7" Soft Buff 2.0 Foam Finishing Pad (for the sealant & the wax products)
** Meguiar's Supreme Shine Microfiber Cloths (Pack of 3)
** Toro 51609 Leaf blower (will purchase Air Force Master Blaster in the future)
** Cobra Guzzler HD Waffle Weave Drying Towel
*** Griot's Garage 15548 Pad Conditioning Brush - Foam Pad Conditioning Brush
** California Duster

Engine Products:
*** Meguiar's Engine Cleaner or BlackFire All-In-One or Optimum Power Clean or Adam's All Purpose Cleaner
*** Adam's In & Out Spray Detail Dressing (is there any other product out there like this?) - Detailer’s Trim Detailer

Wheels, Wheel Wells, & Tires (polished aluminum):
*** Griot's Garage 11224 Wheel Cleaning Kit or BlackFire All-In-One or BLACKFIRE Total Eclipse Tire and Wheel Cleaner or Optimum Power Clean or Adam's All Purpose Cleaner
*** Griot's Garage 11044 Long Lasting Tire Dressing or BLACKFIRE Total Eclipse Tire Gel or Adam's Super VRT Tire & Trim Dressing - Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel

Wash Products:
** Detailer's Pro Series Xtreme Foam
*** Meguiar's Wash and Wax

Clay Products:
* Clay (will purchase Speedy Surface Prep in the future)
** Detailer's Pro Series Universal Clay Lubricant

Polish Products:
** Mirror Glaze #105 Ultra-Cut Compound, Mirror Glaze #205 Ultra Finishing Polish (comes in the Meguiar's Porter Cable Ultra Polish Kit)

Sealant Products:
*** Meguiars #21 Synthetic Sealant 2.0 or BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection

Wax Products:
*** Mothers 05750 California Gold Pure Brazilian Carnauba Wax Liquid or Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0

Quick Detailer Products:
*** Detailer’s Quick Detailer or Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer
** Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine

Glass Products:
*** Stoner 92186 Invisible Glass with RAIN REPELLANT - Stoner Invisible Glass Trio

Interior Products:
*** Detailer's Pro Series Total Interior Cleaner or Griot's Garage 11259 Leather Care Spray Kit or Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer Cleaner

Towels & Pads Cleaners:
*** Griot's Garage 11078 Micro Fiber and Foam Pad Cleaner (will be purchasing the Grit Guard Universal Pad Washer in the future)
2013 2LT/RS CRT/Beige A6;Body-color gfx, body-color blade spoiler, body-color grille, body-color engine cover, Sunroof, Navigation, 20" polished aluminum wheels, Spare tire, and Cargo net-Order placed 8/4/12-TPW 8/27/12-Delivered 9/27/12 and 2013 2LT/RS AGM/Gray A6;Body-color gfx, body-color blade spoiler, body-color grille, Sunroof, Navigation, 20" polished aluminum wheels(last years), Spare tire, and Cargo net-Order placed 10/4/12-TPW 10/29/12-Delivered 12/11/12.

Last edited by kmmink; 09-08-2012 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Added NOTE 2 and RED font to represent the products I decided to purchase where I was previously undecided.
kmmink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
EvilZL1
Snake Eater

Drives: 2012 AGM ZL1
it is safe to use sealant or wax on the new car the paint was baked at a high enough temp to guarantee durability. You seem to have a great list here. You are good to go with the products I see listed.

Make sure you don’t forget to subscribe to my channel! More content on the way. Like, share with your friends
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9Z...sP2wjsLLFeP1zQ

Follow me on instagram:
http://www.instagram.com/snkeatr/
EvilZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
kmmink

I have purchased everything with the exception of the Bon-Aire BSG2 Wash-N-Rinse Spray Gun in Blue with Rotating Spray Head and the California Duster.

These are the only two items that I could not find in stock. I will try to find them locally or order them when they are back in stock.
2013 2LT/RS CRT/Beige A6;Body-color gfx, body-color blade spoiler, body-color grille, body-color engine cover, Sunroof, Navigation, 20" polished aluminum wheels, Spare tire, and Cargo net-Order placed 8/4/12-TPW 8/27/12-Delivered 9/27/12 and 2013 2LT/RS AGM/Gray A6;Body-color gfx, body-color blade spoiler, body-color grille, Sunroof, Navigation, 20" polished aluminum wheels(last years), Spare tire, and Cargo net-Order placed 10/4/12-TPW 10/29/12-Delivered 12/11/12.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:11 PM   #4
Fiveg56

Drives: -
You can, and should seal and/or wax the paint as soon as you can. Remember that sealant can only go on clean, untreated paint. You can wax over the sealant for added protection and depth, but you cannot seal over wax. It's best to do the first wash with an all purpose cleaner added to the soap to strip any wax that may have been applied prior to delivery (even though you told the dealer not to, you never know).

Congrats on the new car!
Fiveg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:46 PM   #5
kmmink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveg56 View Post
You can, and should seal and/or wax the paint as soon as you can. Remember that sealant can only go on clean, untreated paint. You can wax over the sealant for added protection and depth, but you cannot seal over wax. It's best to do the first wash with an all purpose cleaner added to the soap to strip any wax that may have been applied prior to delivery (even though you told the dealer not to, you never know).

Congrats on the new car!
I am going to use Dawn (blue) dish washing soap for my first wash and any other washes where I need to polish and/or sealant and/or wax. For my weekly washes, in between polish and/or sealant and/or wax, I will use Mequiar's Wash and Wax.

This will be my initial process:
2 bucket wash with 2 mitts

Clay

2 bucket wash with 2 mitts

Polish with Mequiar's Mirror Glaze#205 Ultra Finishing Polish (hopefully since it's new, I won't first need to use Mequiar's Mirror Glaze #105 Ultra-Cut Compound)

Sealant with Meguiar's #21 Synthetic Sealant 2.0

Wax with Mothers California Gold Pure Brazilian Carnauba Wax Liquid

Thanks!
Old 09-10-2012, 09:47 AM   #6
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmmink View Post
Here are the items I am considering. I have decided on most things, but still have a few that I am undecided about.

This is for an ordered 2013 Camaro that I will be receiving in a couple of weeks. I know I may be able to skip the polishing step/steps. It all depends on the condition of the paint after I pick it up from the dealer.

I am going to tell the dealer to not touch it as far as washing/detailing goes. I know it won't be shiny when I pick it up, but that's better then them putting swirls and scratches all over the place.

Junkman, CamaroDreams07, others - any suggestions? Also, is it safe to use a sealant and wax on a new car?

NOTE 1: * means already have; ** means decided; *** means undecided.
NOTE 2: RED font represents the products I decided to purchase where I was previously undecided.

Equipment:
** Hose connector with shutoff valve
** Quick connects - 1 female; 4 males
*** Hose nozzle - Bon-Aire Original Ultimate Aluminum Hose Nozzle
*** Spray Gun - Bon-Aire BSG2 Wash-N-Rinse Spray Gun in Blue with Rotating Spray Head
** Gilmour Foamaster 75QGFMR
* (2) 5 gal. buckets
** (2) Grit guards
** Mothers Wheel & Wheel Well Long Handled Brush
** Griot's Garage 15597 Lug Nut Cleaning Brush
** Griot's Garage 15736 Long Reach Wheel Brush - Set of 3
** Griot's Garage 11205 Blue Detail Sponge - Set of 2
*** Block sponges (for various detailing) - Flex Foam Tire Dressing Applicators 3 Pack
** (2) Mothers Genuine Lambswool Wash Mitt
** Meguiars Porter Cable XP Ultra Polish Kit with 5.5 Inch Pads (this kit also contains products - Mirror Glaze #105 Ultra-Cut Compound, Mirror Glaze #205 Ultra Finishing Polish)
** Meguiar's W 9207 7" Soft Buff 2.0 Foam Finishing Pad (for the sealant & the wax products)
** Meguiar's Supreme Shine Microfiber Cloths (Pack of 3)
** Toro 51609 Leaf blower (will purchase Air Force Master Blaster in the future)
** Cobra Guzzler HD Waffle Weave Drying Towel
*** Griot's Garage 15548 Pad Conditioning Brush - Foam Pad Conditioning Brush
** California Duster

Engine Products:
*** Meguiar's Engine Cleaner or BlackFire All-In-One or Optimum Power Clean or Adam's All Purpose Cleaner
*** Adam's In & Out Spray Detail Dressing (is there any other product out there like this?) - Detailer’s Trim Detailer

Wheels, Wheel Wells, & Tires (polished aluminum):
*** Griot's Garage 11224 Wheel Cleaning Kit or BlackFire All-In-One or BLACKFIRE Total Eclipse Tire and Wheel Cleaner or Optimum Power Clean or Adam's All Purpose Cleaner
*** Griot's Garage 11044 Long Lasting Tire Dressing or BLACKFIRE Total Eclipse Tire Gel or Adam's Super VRT Tire & Trim Dressing - Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel

Wash Products:
** Detailer's Pro Series Xtreme Foam
*** Meguiar's Wash and Wax

Clay Products:
* Clay (will purchase Speedy Surface Prep in the future)
** Detailer's Pro Series Universal Clay Lubricant

Polish Products:
** Mirror Glaze #105 Ultra-Cut Compound, Mirror Glaze #205 Ultra Finishing Polish (comes in the Meguiar's Porter Cable Ultra Polish Kit)

Sealant Products:
*** Meguiars #21 Synthetic Sealant 2.0 or BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection

Wax Products:
*** Mothers 05750 California Gold Pure Brazilian Carnauba Wax Liquid or Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0

Quick Detailer Products:
*** Detailer’s Quick Detailer or Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer
** Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine

Glass Products:
*** Stoner 92186 Invisible Glass with RAIN REPELLANT - Stoner Invisible Glass Trio

Interior Products:
*** Detailer's Pro Series Total Interior Cleaner or Griot's Garage 11259 Leather Care Spray Kit or Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer Cleaner

Towels & Pads Cleaners:
*** Griot's Garage 11078 Micro Fiber and Foam Pad Cleaner (will be purchasing the Grit Guard Universal Pad Washer in the future)
The list looks great! Order what you can from Autopia-CarCare.com and apply the "Camaro5" discount to save 10% on most items (minus polishers, kits, and manufacturer shipped items).
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:37 AM   #7
chalkupanother1

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT RS
You're right on, especially with instructing the dealer not to touch your new car.

Claying is a must to get rid of rail dust. You'll be amazed at the gunk. Also, since you're starting off fresh with a dawn wash, I would do ahead and do a full polish. Using your PC, along with a white or black pad, and using the 205 (105 is for heavy scratches and swirls), you will be amazed at how well that amps the gloss, even with a new car. Then seal everything in, and you're set for 6 months!

Congrats!
Old 09-10-2012, 11:09 AM   #8
kmmink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd@Autopia View Post
The list looks great! Order what you can from Autopia-CarCare.com and apply the "Camaro5" discount to save 10% on most items (minus polishers, kits, and manufacturer shipped items).
Todd, thanks. I placed my order Saturday night with the majority of my items coming from Autopia-CarCare.com and I used the "Camaro5" code saving 10%.

I just couldn't hold out any longer. I did a lot of research and it can be a little overwhelming because everyone has their opinions and preferences. I just went with what I thought would be a good start. I'll see how I like these products, but I will give the Blackfire line a try once I'm through with these just to compare the results. By then I should have MY process down, which I have learned, is the most important thing.

Laying it all out in this thread helped me ensure I got all the equipment and products I needed for my first detail. It also helped me with the order of steps I needed to perform in the entire process.

There is so much info out there and in the beginning, I really didn't understand the function of each product. Once you get your head around that and grasp what each product is for and what it is supposed to do, it is so much easier to make decisions.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:12 AM   #9
kmmink

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalkupanother1 View Post
You're right on, especially with instructing the dealer not to touch your new car.

Claying is a must to get rid of rail dust. You'll be amazed at the gunk. Also, since you're starting off fresh with a dawn wash, I would do ahead and do a full polish. Using your PC, along with a white or black pad, and using the 205 (105 is for heavy scratches and swirls), you will be amazed at how well that amps the gloss, even with a new car. Then seal everything in, and you're set for 6 months!

Congrats!
Yeah, see post #5 where I say "Polish with Mequiar's Mirror Glaze#205 Ultra Finishing Polish (hopefully since it's new, I won't first need to use Mequiar's Mirror Glaze #105 Ultra-Cut Compound)".

Thanks!
Old 10-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #10
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
That is a seriously comprehensive list. Nice!

I think you're definitely on the right track. I don't see anything on there that leaps out as a "bad" choice whatsoever.

One that I would deem "questionable" in my opinion, is the Meg's Wash and Wax. I like to keep my washing and my waxing separate. I want a soap that is just that, and then I can decide which LSPs to apply from there. I've also read of some people having some trouble with a "film" being left on the car with that particular product. If you wanted to stay Meg's, try out their Gold Class wash. My overall favorite wash is still Optimum Car Wash though. It's really tremendous in every category. Best overall performer I've found.

The NXT Synthetic Sealant 2.0 is a good product, but it's still an OTC "consumer-grade (for lack of a better term)" product. The Blackfire All Finish would have provided you with much longer lasting protection. IMO, it is easier to use as well, because it tends to come off easier. Might be something to consider when you need to restock, but certainly nothing to warrant replacement right now.
EDIT: I just re-read and saw that you meant the detailers line, the #21 Synthetic 2.0. I don't have any experience with that one, so let me know how you like it. Their Mirror Glaze line is usually very, very nice, so I'm sure that is as well.

An interior product that doesn't get much play on this forum, is Werkstat Satin Prot. I was turned onto it by one of the great detailers that used to be here, but got tired of the drama and, sadly, left us. It's the best light cleaner and protectant I've used. Again, nothing to warrant an immediate buy, but maybe something to try next time.

On the window cleaner, I really like to stay away from anything with "rain repellant" additives. They, more often than not, result in a mess that is a) not very good at repelling rain b) can leave a film and c) can be an absolute b*&ch to completely remove.
My advice, stick with a simple window cleaner (Stoner's, Adam's and Meg's D120 are the three I recommend) and then apply a separate product for the sealant/rain repellant. I HIGHLY recommend the GTechniq G1 coating. It's supposed to last for 36k miles, and so far has held up like a kevlar vest on my glass. I'm also getting in a shipment of their G5 water repellant tomorrow, so I'll post a write-up of that.

One thing you have to have in your arsenal is ONR. It's the most cost-efficient clay lube, detail spray, or waterless wash you could ever hope for. It has four separate uses depending on your dilution ratios.
http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-no-rinse.html

Anyway, I look forward to seeing your pics and hearing about your experience. Good luck!
Old 10-05-2012, 06:58 AM   #11
Coolway888

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS2 - Ashen Gray
Thanks for sharing your list. I was just thinking about compiling a similar list but didn't know where to start. This is helpful and everyone's feedback are great. Happy washing!
Coolway888 is offline   Reply With Quote