Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-18-2009, 02:44 PM   #43
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iroc-z86 View Post
well its nice to know chevy put an lsd on the 2lt

my 86 has a posi.. it actually prevents me from using the full turning radius of the car compared to my friends iroc. IF i have it in gear while hard turning it jumps and binds and its not good. so i do believe i have a true posi, both wheels spin exactly same speed on the ground or up in the air.
I have a 2LT... but it's an automatic so NO LSD...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 02:46 PM   #44
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:

my 86 has a posi.. it actually prevents me from using the full turning radius of the car compared to my friends iroc. IF i have it in gear while hard turning it jumps and binds and its not good. so i do believe i have a true posi, both wheels spin exactly same speed on the ground or up in the air.
hmmmm... I think you are mixing terms... Posi = GM Positraction = Limited Slip Differential.... Limited slip diffs are designed so that you can turn WITHOUT binding. What you are describing is not a posi unit... you are describing a LOCKER or perhaps a SPOOL....
Old 10-18-2009, 03:23 PM   #45
IMVG

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:

Thats a locker or a spool or a messed posi
IMVG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:43 PM   #46
Iroc-z86

Drives: 86' Iroc-z 14' Camaro SS 98' Jimmy
well im not too sure what 'unit' is in there because i bought the rear from a swap meet, (paid almost nothing expected a rebuild but it hasnt given me reason to mess with it so i just left it alone.) it is a 9-bolt borg-warner rear tho.. ok well either way this is off topic, sorry guys!

and i meant the 2LT Manual has LSD, again im not sure what i want.. 2LT or 2SS...
Iroc-z86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:57 PM   #47
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
After reading all this I think my brain has limited slip.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:22 PM   #48
JesusIRL

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
After reading all this I think my brain has limited slip.

I have to admit though, it sure was fun reading through at work... Not to mention, VERY edumacational!

scrming: You're a freakin living encyclopedia about the camaro dude... I love reading through your posts on threads haha
JesusIRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:26 AM   #49
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusIRL View Post

I have to admit though, it sure was fun reading through at work... Not to mention, VERY edumacational!

scrming: You're a freakin living encyclopedia about the camaro dude... I love reading through your posts on threads haha
Thanks! You've made my day! LOL
Old 10-22-2009, 08:42 AM   #50
TheLazyBrownDog

Drives: 98 S10, 97 4Runner
This was pretty entertaining, I love when people argue without having facts. And I wish I had known that locking hubs equal a locking dif, would have saved some money on my 95 Jeep by just doing the manual hub conversion without the Detroit locker.
TheLazyBrownDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:36 AM   #51
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laforce View Post
I heard of a technique for the automatic transmissions to get an open Diff to spin both tires, maybe not 100% at the same time but here is what i heard.

To get your car out of the snow when you have an open diff and need to spin both wheels (let say one is on ice and the other on snow and your not going anywhere), you would apply a certain amount of left foot braking, just enough to labour the Diff and apparently it work.

Now I have never tried this to date as my current car has never been that badly stuck yet, but maybe another Canadian snow guru could chime in??

(BTW this has nothing to do with any LSD stuff strictly open diff talk)

Yes, this works. It has to do with "tricking" the non-spinning wheel into thinking the spinning wheel has traction. By applying the brake, slightly, while staying on the gas, the spinning wheel slows down/stops, thus sending more power to the non-spinning wheel.

While I don't live in Canada, I grew up in Colorado, so I have some snow driving under my belt.

Also, I have no clue if this will work in modern, spin/traction controlled cars. I was taught this in a 1975 Dodge Coronet station wagon, adn used the technique in my 1976 Buick LeSabre Custom Brougham with a 455 in it.

And those arguing semantics over posi vs limited slip. WOW! Since I can remember, and I'm backing scrming on this, a factory limited slip, in any car, has almost always been called a posi. Now add a Detroit, an ARB air or a spool, and things change. Talk about your POSItive engagement, lol. But all the old-timers I know call all factory LSDs posi. They just do.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:40 AM   #52
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLazyBrownDog View Post
This was pretty entertaining, I love when people argue without having facts. And I wish I had known that locking hubs equal a locking dif, would have saved some money on my 95 Jeep by just doing the manual hub conversion without the Detroit locker.

Well, manual hubs are POSItive engagement, vs the vacumm systems of old!

I wish all 4x4s still came with manual hubs. Way stronger, IMO, and just like an actual transfer case lever with mechanical linkage, way cooler.

Gotta give Ford credit on that they have kept the manual hubs on the Super Duty. With a straight axle, just like a real truck should have.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:08 PM   #53
bhut

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
All I'll say is that the LSD sold me on the manual 2LT. (But who would have thought a day would come when automatics put down better mileage numbers than a stick?)
bhut is offline   Reply With Quote