Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California

Old 05-08-2013, 07:51 PM   #141
4after4

Drives: camaro rs ashen grey
what the hell prompts CHP to look under the hood??? i go by CHP and FD softoball games were there are challengers, camaros, mustangs all obviously with mods to engines, lights, windows. I wonder what is possible under citizens arrest because I want to tag them back for all the "love" they give me.
4after4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:49 PM   #142
MikeL

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4after4 View Post
what the hell prompts CHP to look under the hood??? i go by CHP and FD softoball games were there are challengers, camaros, mustangs all obviously with mods to engines, lights, windows. I wonder what is possible under citizens arrest because I want to tag them back for all the "love" they give me.
What prompts them is either excessively loud vehicle or if your car LOOKS heavily modded. I'm not sure legally if you have to pop the hood, but i've heard of several officers saying things along the lines of "pop the hood or I'll give you a ticket for every little infraction." They have their methods.
MikeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #143
oklapike

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary SS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
Good question, I'm not sure on the answer but my guess is they are illegal. My reasoning would be that they will move the catalytic converter (even if it is just a few centimeters) and therefore this makes it illegal. Plus changing anything from stock on cars in California can be deemed "illegal" it seems; although rare. Now whether or not you get caught/pass smog checks is another issue. You would most likely pass I would assume, especially on a new Camaro with good maintenance.

Another factor to look at is if the shorty headers you are going to get will have the CARB certification. I'm not sure if any manufacturer has actually gone ahead and got a CARB cert for the shorty headers. Therefore any shorties would be deemed illegal.

All this being said, without a visual inspection you might be able to get away with it. Let me see if I can't find a specific Yes/No on the high flow cats or maybe another member knows.
FWIW (and I know I'm responding to an older post): American Racing sells CARB compliant shorties and I believe Volant and Injen both sell CARB compliant CAIs.
oklapike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #144
HotRod1993

Drives: 2012 Chevy Camaro SS
anyone know where i can get a no drill License Plate Relocator bracket for my front license CHP is cracking down.
HotRod1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:45 AM   #145
dixonk

Drives: 2011 Audi Q7
Send a message via Skype™ to dixonk
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRod1993 View Post
anyone know where i can get a no drill License Plate Relocator bracket for my front license CHP is cracking down.
jacfab
dixonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:28 AM   #146
flyingskibiker

Drives: Cars, Trucks, Bikes, ORVs, Planes
Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker
There are a few threads in the ZL1 section that describe how people made their own brackets. One solution is a Corvette bracket. Search in there and you'll find a few.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:32 PM   #147
BRAVO 2SS
Aim Small...Miss Small

Drives: 2018 ZL1 M6
Well got pulled over again today for no plate and tinted windows! I have a show n go plate and it was down! She was really nice and sweet but due to being in trouble with the law years ago...they searched the car while I was in the back of the cop car. All good...they let me go with a warning, so No Citation...just took the tint off 30 minutes ago.

Damn...I hate not having tint but It's not worth it to me.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:38 PM   #148
Falundir

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE - Hyper Blue, P85DL
That is why I built my car around no tint and a medium level exhaust. The halos get enough attention, however they are legal so they cannot do anything about it.
Falundir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:28 AM   #149
MikeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAVO 2SS View Post
Well got pulled over again today for no plate and tinted windows! I have a show n go plate and it was down! She was really nice and sweet but due to being in trouble with the law years ago...they searched the car while I was in the back of the cop car. All good...they let me go with a warning, so No Citation...just took the tint off 30 minutes ago.

Damn...I hate not having tint but It's not worth it to me.
I hope you only took the front window tint off. Back window tint is fine in California. Glad they let you off with a warning.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:25 AM   #150
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRod1993 View Post
got pulled over for no plate. What I did is use toggle bolts in the lower two holes on the stock bracket and double sided tape along the top edge so the bracket doesnt scar the paint. The bolts go through my lower grill. All nice and secure and no holes drilled.
VR Baron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:21 AM   #151
macwest

Drives: 10 Camaro 2SS/RS, 70 Cuda, 71 Cuda
Anyone yet go through new smog, OBDII, with a tune?
Old 07-07-2014, 06:19 AM   #152
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
Anyone get pulled over or have problems with the DRL harness running the DRL's with the 5000k bulbs and the HID's at the same time?
SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:23 PM   #153
MikeL

Hey all, I haven't been active on the forums as much as I used to be. I hope some other members can chime in with their knowledge on specific issues. I will continue to update the information as needed.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 10-14-2014, 12:17 AM   #154
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Figured I'll leave this here

http://www.btpautoparts.com/californialaws.html

so far I have been hassled only once, and only for missing the front plate. if you have the OEM bracket, some 3M double sided tape and a shoelace will do nicely for getting it signed off and then removing it
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote