Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 05-31-2007, 04:30 PM   #1
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Manuals are faster?

I know the topic of manuals vs. automatics is always brought up but there are many things i still dont understand. I'm only 17 and have never driven a manual car before, but i think i know some about driving one. Everyday I think about what I want on my camaro when i get it. One thing i cant decide is manual or automatic. What my question is, are manuals faster than an automatic. If they are faster, why? Right now my mind is set that if they offer paddle shifting I'll have to go with that. Anyway it would be awesome if you guys could help me out with my question. Thanks
AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 04:35 PM   #2
acscamarochick06
Chevrolet Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS ;)
Autos are faster off the line if you're racing because you don't have to mess with shifting or worrying about maybe missing a gear. But Autos are just more convenient... Plus all the work gets done for you! I drove my boyfriend's 02 Z28 a lot (it was an M6) and absolutely loved it... but after 4 days I was like "Okay... I miss my auto now..." But it might just be because I'm used to the automatic transmission... My new Camaro will definitely be an Automatic... Especially since I want to go to the track and make a few passes and see how she does.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:53 PM   #3
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Manuals are faster mainly because the engine has a direct mechanical connection with the transmission, whereas an automatic uses a torque converter which is a fluid connection (there's actually no mechanical connection in any gear except overdrive in your standard production automatic....transmission fluid flow is running the show in there). The result is loss of energy transferred.

Now a racing transmission is a completely different beast, and no human can possibly outshift a built racing auto transmission. The real deal with manual VS auto is the fact that if you mash the gas in an auto, the car does the work. In a manual, there's many ways to screw it all up, from miss-shifts, to short-shifting, to tapping the rev-limiter, etc....so a team that builds a car to race because that's their INCOME will typically never use a manual...there's too many variables to be consistent.

I have a tendency to go too deep, I hope I didn't totally blow past your question there.

Cliffnotes: Yes, if you compare production-release versions of a manual or an auto transmission, the manual will be faster. But there are ways to make an auto tranny perform better than a manual. And most high-end race teams use automatics, but those transmissions can't be used on a street-driven car.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 05:36 PM   #4
ChevyNut

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro Black on Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerF View Post
Manuals are faster mainly because the engine has a direct mechanical connection with the transmission, whereas an automatic uses a torque converter which is a fluid connection (there's actually no mechanical connection in any gear except overdrive in your standard production automatic....transmission fluid flow is running the show in there). The result is loss of energy transferred.

Now a racing transmission is a completely different beast, and no human can possibly outshift a built racing auto transmission. The real deal with manual VS auto is the fact that if you mash the gas in an auto, the car does the work. In a manual, there's many ways to screw it all up, from miss-shifts, to short-shifting, to tapping the rev-limiter, etc....so a team that builds a car to race because that's their INCOME will typically never use a manual...there's too many variables to be consistent.

I have a tendency to go too deep, I hope I didn't totally blow past your question there.

Cliffnotes: Yes, if you compare production-release versions of a manual or an auto transmission, the manual will be faster. But there are ways to make an auto tranny perform better than a manual. And most high-end race teams use automatics, but those transmissions can't be used on a street-driven car.
Which high end race teams are you speaking of?
ChevyNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 05:42 PM   #5
MerF
Go Rays!

Sorry, I was mainly referring to drag racing. Should have specified that. I was talking in terms of acceleration.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:57 AM   #6
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
In my experience, manuals are faster. But, the proof and logical reasoning has already been noted above.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 11:07 AM   #7
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Ok. cool. Thanks a lot guys. Especially MerF.
When you say faster, we are talking maybe one or two tenths of a second right?
AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 11:48 AM   #8
MerF
Go Rays!

Yeah for the most part. There are exceptions here and there but overall the difference won't be drastic.

I'm having the same dilemma though, as far as "which is faster", but mine is between the coupe and the convertible. Do I care about the extra speed/handling or the major-fun-cruising factor? Hmm...
Old 06-03-2007, 04:04 PM   #9
stevenm357

Drives: 98 Trans am 00 Trans am 01 corvette
For me manual is about my connection to the car. My first car was a 5 speed. it's about control. i live in the twisties... like 30 miles of them. i want the option to drop to 2nd and follow the guy for a tight turn then be able to have my power coming out onto the strait stretch. Or racing from a highway roll i don't have to wait for the car to downshift, it can already be done.

2001 Corvette
Heads,Big cam, 4:11, Custom Exhaust, MGW Shifter Baer Eradispeed +2 2 pieces rotors, Hotchkiss swaybars. and a few other little things.

1998 Trans Am A4 ( was STS turbo until the turbo and oil pump died)

2000 WS6 Trans AM under the knife ( sadly turned into long term project.
stevenm357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 10:09 PM   #10
selil

Drives: Chevy Avalanche
I've been driving manual cars for ... a long long long time.

I can shift smoother in more situations than an automatic, i can go to the edge of acceleration and do partial burn outs where the tires are just starting to squall. You can't get that kind of fine tuning without the clutch.

Since the direct inputs of a good clutch are control you can slide the rear end of a high performance car around using the clutch and down shifting (rear wheel drive of course). Great for auto cross.

A high performance car with a manual transmission on twisties will easily out perform an automatic equipped car if driving on the edge. I'm talking about a lot more control than just drifting.

The requisite skill of driving a manual transmission takes years of experience to get out on the edge but you end up controlling the entire drive train versus the fuel system and brakes with an automatic. With a manual "YOU" get to look ahead and set the drive train up for what is coming next proactively versus responding with an automatic transmission that is only taking into account a few variables.

When you can define the task at hand very narrowly like with drag racing you can limit the variables significantly and an automatic transmission will make sense (I though you can imagine disagree). Some guys in auto cross disagree with me and say automatic all the way since they can't imagine feathering a clutch to capture a little more traction without giving up RPM's and horse power.

Then again it all comes down to traction pies and drag coefficients and how you want to spend the different forces getting from point a to point b. Once they release some spec data on weighting of the car (60/40, 55/45?) and if they stick that short ratio six speed in the car will be a runner. Manual or automatic? Depends on where you want to go.
selil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 10:14 PM   #11
selil

Drives: Chevy Avalanche
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerF View Post
I'm having the same dilemma though, as far as "which is faster", but mine is between the coupe and the convertible. Do I care about the extra speed/handling or the major-fun-cruising factor? Hmm...
Go with the convertible and put some subframe tie-in's to get the added suspension performance? That's what I'm planning on doing.

I'm only interested in a high performance V6 or small V8. Since I don't care about straight line racing either of those will break the rear end loose in a hurry and provide plenty of power for anything approaching my expectations. Added bonus is that they are lighter engines in the front of the car.
selil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 10:59 PM   #12
MerF
Go Rays!

I'm also concerned about the added weight of the convertible. Only time will tell really.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:04 PM   #13
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Sorry to throw a wrench in the gears here(no pun intended), but GM has changed the Manual VS Auto argument with their 6L80 paddle shifter tranny...

I plan on getting this, though only time will tell. But with the 6L80, you get the best, if not better of both worlds. When you want it, you get the convience and easy-shifting of an Auto. But when you need it, you click into Sport/paddle mode and tap your way past the manuals. Because you get control over when you shift without the time it takes a manual to shift from, say 2nd to 3rd.
I'll try to takle the corner/power issue, too. When in sport mode, the tranny will not upshift to overdrive while cruising, so you get the power you need for coming out of corners. And won't downshift for you unless in danger of stalling...

Odd 6L80 facts in my head:

6L80 is GM's newest 6 speed Automatic transmission, with versatile options including rear-mounting ability with no massive changes, driver shift selection(paddle), and more.
It will last longer than average Autos due to a clutch to clutch operation.
It is built for power with forged innards
Paddle mode gives driver complete control over shifting. Only if danger zones are reached due to driver incompetence, will the tranny shift itself: over-revving, or stalling out.
2007 gets quicker shift response time with the paddles
First gear is a severly steep 4(or so):1 for outstanding off-the-line speed.
2 overdrive gears
6th is .6:1 for amazing top speed potential Vette can cruise 80+ at 2000 rpm's

don't get the idea that I hate manuals, I respect them, A LOT. I've just never driven one, so I don't have the experience to really know what their like (inconvience, performance, etc.) I know what they can do on paper...and this 6L80 blows me away...on paper.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:23 PM   #14
beerman985
lets kick some pony ass

Drives: 00 trans-am,06 corvette-z06
Send a message via AIM to beerman985
the main thing i like about a stick is that when you come up or some one and u want to get there ation is push in the clutch and the gas and rev the baby up
beerman985 is offline   Reply With Quote