Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 10-10-2006, 02:58 AM   #1
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Car Alarms

When the time comes to get the new Camaro, I want to make sure the worst that can happen is that it gets broken into...NOT STOLEN. Any car can get broken into and there's nothing we can do to stop those little peckerheads (except for having the car garaged or manned at all times). I've been searching car alarms for a little while and trying to come to a conclusion on what to install in my future ride. I've heard of an alarm a couple times called Ravelco. The company also had a recent article printed in GMHTP or Chevy HiPo...can't remember which one. However, from what I've read, they've never had a car stolen w/ a properly installed alarm. Even better, it's only something like $250-500. Give me some feedback on other good alarms and let me know what you think about this one....check out the site.
http://www.ravelcoaz.com/
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 07:35 AM   #2
OverAnxious

Drives: 1967 RS/SS L78 Coupe
Send a message via AIM to OverAnxious Send a message via Yahoo to OverAnxious
I've looked at that setup. Just don't lose your key to the Ravelco safeguard...

There are quite a few good alarms out there with plenty of features for everyone. I'd go wtih a conventional alarm, update your insurance policy and call it a day
OverAnxious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 03:14 PM   #3
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
I would go with this one from Suburban Auto Group. It not only protects you from thieves but a lot of other situations drivers like us face on a daily basis.

I have had one installed in everyone of my vehicles, they work.

KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 03:35 PM   #4
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

That was great! I'd seen a couple of those b4, but never had seen the one where he tries to pay off and bribe the officer w/ a doughnut. That was freakin hilarious!
Old 10-11-2006, 08:01 AM   #5
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Tag, I had one of my previous Camaro's broken into. :(

Afterwards, I looked into getting an alarm, but after speaking with several people, including the police officer who took the report, it was suggested I save some money just go with the factory alarm. Reason being, if the thieves want your car bad enough, they'll get it no matter what alarm you install. The officer told me of stories where the thieves would drag cars onto a flatbed, etc.

So, per his suggestion, I stopped at a local automotive store and purchased 'The Club' (which I know is easily removed in seconds), as well as "This car is alarmed ....." decals which I placed on the side windows.

The officers reasoning being that you want to make your car appear to be more difficult for a thief to steal. If they walk up and see your car with the "security devices" versus one next to it without any, the thief may choose the other car. From his experiences, theres not an alarm out there to stop them.

If I were to purchase any aftermarket system, it would be 'Lo Jack'. I may not be able to stop a thief, but there'll be a better chance the car is located before too much damage is done.

A simple solution though, I never take the SS anywhere where it'll be parked for more than 15 minutes.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 10:58 AM   #6
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

That Police Officer is right 100%. If someone wants a car bad enough, they will get it. But, there are still MANY ways to safeguard against getting broken into and especially having it stolen. Just having that little red blinking light in the dash will deter 75% of car thieves. The other 25% either don't care or know they will be in and out in 5 seconds (burglary). Having a regular honking horn for an alarm or just a regular audible sounding alarm is a common sound we hear in every parking lot which we tend to shrug off. Leaving valued items out of plain view is the best thing to do. Car burglaries are crimes of opportunity. They see it, they take it. Let me tell you, briefcases, purses, and portable DVD players (headrest) are the first cars to get broken into. Parking in an open area with good visability of your car from all angles is 2nd most important. Doing these two things will greatly reduce your chances of getting broken into. An alarm with a blinking light, once again, will deter them. Tapping on the car and having it chirp back at you will deter a few more. But nothing will stop the criminal who wants the items in your car bad enough. What I care about is the car itself. Ravelco uses all black wires and not a single car has ever been stolen. It's a kill switch on the car. Repo guys can hook up and be gone w/ a car w/in 2 min. Even w/ a kill switch. I, also, don't park my car for longer than 15-20 min in any lot. BUT...the thieves will see your car, follow you, and once you park it going inside, will hit it and be gone w/in seconds. The club is an excellent deterrant and Lo Jack is awesome as long as it's activated quickly. I've heard there's problems w/ that system if the vehicle is placed in a metal box, though. The signal can't escape the box and your car goes "invisable".
Old 10-23-2006, 06:49 AM   #7
arcticman141

Drives: Black Camaro
Here's something else

Don't know much about this or how expensive it is, but if it does everything it says, I think it might be a pretty handy tool.

http://www.mymobileguardian.com/
arcticman141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 10:24 AM   #8
LowRider
LowRider

Drives: 1992 Camaro Z28 & 1996 S-10
Send a message via AIM to LowRider Send a message via Yahoo to LowRider
Ya I know were you all coming from just last week I had my truck broke into a my 2 15in subs stolen and my 2500 watt amp stolen to. But they never took the CD-navigation player. I am pissed over it. It sucks but I think I know who took it.
LowRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 10:25 AM   #9
LowRider
LowRider

Drives: 1992 Camaro Z28 & 1996 S-10
Send a message via AIM to LowRider Send a message via Yahoo to LowRider
But I am glad it is my S-10 and not my Camaro. But the Camaro stays home out of harms way.
LowRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:29 PM   #10
lalometalik
killer bAnana

Drives: 1985 z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowRider View Post
Ya I know were you all coming from just last week I had my truck broke into a my 2 15in subs stolen and my 2500 watt amp stolen to. But they never took the CD-navigation player. I am pissed over it. It sucks but I think I know who took it.
you have to find out if you dont already know. make them pay.

great advice on these anti-theft systems, they will be worth their price and more

"Shut your noise tube, Taco Human!"
lalometalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:02 PM   #11
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Tag, I had one of my previous Camaro's broken into. :(

Afterwards, I looked into getting an alarm, but after speaking with several people, including the police officer who took the report, it was suggested I save some money just go with the factory alarm. Reason being, if the thieves want your car bad enough, they'll get it no matter what alarm you install. The officer told me of stories where the thieves would drag cars onto a flatbed, etc.

So, per his suggestion, I stopped at a local automotive store and purchased 'The Club' (which I know is easily removed in seconds), as well as "This car is alarmed ....." decals which I placed on the side windows.

The officers reasoning being that you want to make your car appear to be more difficult for a thief to steal. If they walk up and see your car with the "security devices" versus one next to it without any, the thief may choose the other car. From his experiences, theres not an alarm out there to stop them.

If I were to purchase any aftermarket system, it would be 'Lo Jack'. I may not be able to stop a thief, but there'll be a better chance the car is located before too much damage is done.

A simple solution though, I never take the SS anywhere where it'll be parked for more than 15 minutes.
All true... unfortnatly even Lo Jack has been hacked... $110 lead blanket + flatbed and it cant transmit, Yes its been done especially with pro car thiefs...

Make sure you have insurance and just make smart decisions.. park in the garage, park in well lit places, park where you can see your car, park where it would be obvious if someone is trying to steal it..

Other wise there is nothing you can do.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:04 PM   #12
lalometalik
killer bAnana

Drives: 1985 z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post
... unfortnatly even Lo Jack has been hacked... $110 lead blanket + flatbed and it cant transmit, Yes its been done especially with pro car thiefs...
even Superman won't be able to find it

"Shut your noise tube, Taco Human!"
lalometalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:20 PM   #13
swifttal

Drives: '91 Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post
All true... unfortnatly even Lo Jack has been hacked... $110 lead blanket + flatbed and it cant transmit, Yes its been done especially with pro car thiefs...

Make sure you have insurance and just make smart decisions.. park in the garage, park in well lit places, park where you can see your car, park where it would be obvious if someone is trying to steal it..

Other wise there is nothing you can do.
Sorry, I know this is a rumor has been around the net, however, gotta throw the on that one.

1 - As stated previously, you gotta know the car is equipped with lojack

2- You gotta know where it's installed, which can be a great variety of places in the car; front, top, sides, rear

3- If the thief has that kind of personal info, it's far easier to cut the GPS antenna than carry around a 100 lb blanket - which by the way in the places GPS antennas require to be installed, that blanket would slide off the car as soon as the vehicle moves anyway unless someone holds it in place the whole time

4- Blanket would only block GPS reception, not cellular unless you cover the ENTIRE car (of which they don't make lead blankets anywhere near that size), so lojack would still get notified of theft, just wouldn't have accurate coordinates (until the blanket fell off the car)

5- Lead blankets are used for nuclear shielding purposes, and as such, you have to have some sort of affiliation with such to purchase (hospital, power plant, university, etc) - this is still plausible however since these items probably aren't tracked to well, and a fake company name could probably be used... also, since it's their line of work, if they chose to steal these as well, it would have to be acquired early before the blanket is used for shielding to avoid radiation contamination / poisoning

So long story short, since the blanket wouldn't cut your cell reception (unless wrapped 360 degrees, which is implausible), lojack will still be notified. Knowing that, then the main purpose of the above would be to block the location data. Since in this scenario the thieves "happen to know" the location of the GPS antenna, it's far easier for them to bring $5, 12 oz wire cutters/pliers than a $100-5000, 60-500 lb lead blanket

So thus the
swifttal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:10 AM   #14
Iroczlover
The Krazzy bytch

Drives: Which car I have 9 vehicles?
Send a message via MSN to Iroczlover Send a message via Yahoo to Iroczlover
Tag get a Big Rottie or a Large nasty looking German Shepard & teach it only a german phase that you know, so anyone gets near the car they take after the prick.

I am not a man I have boobies.
Cars are like women, If you treat her rough shes going to complain & you will hear about it. If you treat her right she will purrrrrrrrrrrrr
Current cars owned , 72 Skylark vert,86 fiero GT Sold , 87 Iroc-z (sold), 90 Vette Vert SOLD , 95 Z28, 99 Silverado K1500 Totaled, 2010 CGM Camaro 2ss/rs (had to sell & I hate it ) ,2012 Cruze LT repoed.

Current current list lol 2006 Silverado 2500hd.
Iroczlover is offline   Reply With Quote