The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Z06 Discussions

Old 05-25-2015, 03:01 AM   #1
AlwaysAmerican

Drives: 15 Silverado, 15 Corvette 2LT Z51
What trim level to order

Alright guys and gals this simple thread is for a simple (or complex) question.

This summer I will have the funds available to purchase a Stingray. After the Z06 was introduced I decided I would go for that instead

Before I give Becky the call this summer to place an order (hope you can get me an allocation this year!)
I was wondering if you could go back to the day you placed your order, what would you change?

Features that you would want/didn't want.

My plans for the vehicle since I live is the burning city of Las Vegas would to be driving it around town as well as putting it on the track.

So any suggestions? What did you wish you have, or didn't feel like you needed after you bought the car.

(I do apologize if this is in the wrong section, it's late and I couldn't sleep)
AlwaysAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:58 PM   #2
JDC PDX

Drives: '15 Z06
I did not order my car, but was lucky enough to find the exact car (I mean EXACT car) I was looking for. Right down to the colors, packages, transparent roof and hood stinger. I had built my dream car several times and kept coming back to the same configuration...

My car is pretty well loaded 3LZ Z07 with stage 3 Aero. Wouldn't change it for anything.

Good luck with your decision-making process.
JDC PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:19 PM   #3
AlwaysAmerican

That's one of my problems.
I keep going to the Chevrolet website to keep rebuilding, adding things, different colors etc.

So figured I'd see if anyone here wishes they had ordered something or left it out since it was no use
Old 05-29-2015, 09:07 PM   #4
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
I think in some ways it depends on how long you intend to keep the car, and how you will use it. For instance, I plan to keep my car well past the end of the extended warranty, so future repairs were a consideration for me. One item I skipped was the mag ride shocks. I do not doubt the benefits they offer in certain circumstances, but eventually they will wear out or fail. At over $1000 each to replace versus well under that for a set of 4 Johnny O'Connell or similar shocks, the choice was easy for me. Same goes for the NPP exhaust. I'm mostly a "set it then forget it" type of person, so having an exhaust that changed (again with more expensive parts that will eventually wear out) didn't make much sense; the base exhaust was a better choice. And if I feel the need for more rumble, the aftermarket is there. I went with the 2LT interior, microfiber seat inserts (way more comfortable to me), M7 trans and base silver wheels. I skipped navigation, as I have minimal issues travelling, but would have gotten it just for the PDR, were it available in '14. I also skipped the FAY carbon dash trim, as its about half the price over the parts counter and I'm mechanically inclined enough to install it myself. The only real "luxury" I went with was the exposed carbon fiber roof panel - it really sets off the Cyber Gray Metallic paint, and I knew there was no way I could get that any cheaper after the fact. I originally wasn't expecting to get the Z51 package, figuring the price would be too rich for my bank account, but the introductory price was impossible to pass up.

In all, I am absolutely pleased with each and every item I ordered and skipped. For all intents and purposes, my Stingray is perfect - for me. It may not be for you, or others. But that's what make ordering so fun - you literally get a car built just for you! Now, if only the Stingray came in the Alchemy Purple available on the SS....
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 02:37 PM   #5
tones2SS

Drives: '13 Roush S3 '16 Ram Sport 4X4
I haven't ordered a Z06 yet, (or even know if I will), but if I do, I think it will be the 1LZ trim.
I don't need all those "extra gadgets" to tell me there's a car next to me or a rear view camera or even navigation for that matter. I've been driving for a while now. Never had that stuff before, don't need it now.
Besides, the Z would be my weekend cruiser/awesome day cruiser. No need for those items. Give me more performance over those items any day.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:54 AM   #6
Schlok

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #397 2022 ZL1 #1799
Quote:
Originally Posted by tones2SS View Post
I haven't ordered a Z06 yet, (or even know if I will), but if I do, I think it will be the 1LZ trim.
I don't need all those "extra gadgets" to tell me there's a car next to me or a rear view camera or even navigation for that matter. I've been driving for a while now. Never had that stuff before, don't need it now.
Besides, the Z would be my weekend cruiser/awesome day cruiser. No need for those items. Give me more performance over those items any day.
Personally I ordered the 2LZ since the upgrade was only 3k (ish) and there wasn't much else I wanted with the car. I'm not a 'track guy' and after having a 1LT Stingray thought it'd be nice to have some of the 2LZ benefits. Heated/cooled seats is 'neat' and the extra red in the interior looks good if you ask me. PDR/Nav doesn't come in until you go to 3LZ which I didn't think 8k (plus) was worth to get but you can just drop that in as a separate option. It's mostly small little things and that you get for the 2LZ such as Z06 on the seats versus nothing on he 1LZ, once again, no big deal...
Schlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:51 PM   #7
tones2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlok View Post
Personally I ordered the 2LZ since the upgrade was only 3k (ish) and there wasn't much else I wanted with the car. I'm not a 'track guy' and after having a 1LT Stingray thought it'd be nice to have some of the 2LZ benefits. Heated/cooled seats is 'neat' and the extra red in the interior looks good if you ask me. PDR/Nav doesn't come in until you go to 3LZ which I didn't think 8k (plus) was worth to get but you can just drop that in as a separate option. It's mostly small little things and that you get for the 2LZ such as Z06 on the seats versus nothing on he 1LZ, once again, no big deal...
Yeah,....I'm not really a track guy either. So, I hear where you're coming from. Don't really need the vented/heated seats as the car will only be driven on nice sunny days and on the nice weekends. I'd be getting the Z07 package as well and the race seats , so it works out well that way. Honestly, the car wouldn't really get driven that much.
My 2013 Roush Stage 3 has less than 1,800 miles on it. lol Two years old. lol
Old 05-31-2015, 06:14 PM   #8
AlwaysAmerican

Well the plan was after ordering was to do a cross country road trip to break the thing in.
(Vegas to Orlando)
So creature comforts and what not I suppose would depend on the trim level. So wondering if the GT or Competition seats, color I think I'm set on. The interior I want is only available in the 3LZ, just having a hard time justifying the extra cash for a color.

Since I have that awesomely hot weather out here it could almost be a daily-ish driver. I suppose the best way to put it is that it's a car and I will get my money's worth out of it besides good weather driving.

Mag ride comes stock from what I can remember and I'm hoping that by the time the warranty expires parts will be a bit cheaper. Maybe even a few wrecked ones on copart.

I mean, I just need that 650 beautiful horse power in my life. Seems like the 2LZ would have everything besides the extra add on's
Old 06-01-2015, 02:11 PM   #9
tones2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysAmerican View Post
Since I have that awesomely hot weather out here it could almost be a daily-ish driver. I suppose the best way to put it is that it's a car and I will get my money's worth out of it besides good weather driving.
Yeah,....that's killer.
I plan on moving out of MA at some point in my life. I cannot stand the winters and cold weather. AT ALL. lol
Good luck going forward man!