Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 07-12-2010, 12:42 AM   #1
Jefe's SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM L99
Most reliable/simple SC for L99

I live in Colorado at a mile high, 5280 ft. The biggest problem living in Colorado/at elevation is the lack of air, or more appropriately, the lack of air pressure. We experience on avg. a 20% loss of power on NA engines compared to sea level. After purchasing my 2010 2SS L99 I'm realizing that I'm not quite satisfied w/ it's power output. I guess I have high expectations. No pun intended. So I'm may be in the market for a SC. What I'm looking for is mild boost to help w/ the altitude issues. Engines at our altitude respond very well to boost. What I'm looking for is the most reliable SC kit available. I'm not interested in a cam change due to the nature of the L99 and its AFM/Vtec. I'm also not looking to drag race/put down huge HP numbers. I want a reliable car w/o having to fuss w/ it. I just want to drive it and get into the throttle a bit and not be embarased by smaller 4/6 cyl. cars w/ turbos like the WRX crowd.I've been seeing the Magna Charger Supercharger TVS2300 for 2010 Camaro SS mentioned here and I've read a little bit about it and it seems it's what I'm looking for. Any info regarding this kit or others would be appreciated. Some competitive pricing advice, unit costs and install costs, would also be appreciated. If it's not too difficult I would consider installing it myself. I've read throught the install instructions and it seems rather simple and straight forward. Possibly a 6-8hr. job taking my sweet time. Any schooling you would like to give me on boosting my L99 would also be appreciated. Thanks for your help and did I mention I wanted something reliable?
Jefe's SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:00 AM   #2
u812

Drives: 2010 Camero
It's all in the tune, if your a DIY and don't have any experience at tuning your car I would stay away from this, especially an L99, they are tricky. If you keep the AFM you will need help to get it to run right.
u812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:49 AM   #3
kook

Drives: 2010 2SS Yellow
My L99 is getting an Edelbrock E-Force as I am writing this. I will have it back on Saturday. I will keep you posted on gains.
kook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:00 AM   #4
kook

Drives: 2010 2SS Yellow
Edelbrock E-Force Dyno
So here is a pic of the last Edelbrock E-Force on a 2010 SS LS3. The kit install was fairly simple except for the fact that Edelbrock miss machined the valley cover and we had a massive oil leak.

After pulling the supercharger off and re machining the cover on my mill here are the #'s we got. This is with a pulley one size smaller and a custom tune. All in all this is a great kit and actually like the fit better than some of the other positive displacement supercharger kits.

This was with about 9lbs of boost, ARH Headers & Exhaust.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 892x650 and weights 115KB.

Mike Wendling
Rocky Mountain Competitive Research
2275 Waynoka Rd. Unit E&F
719-574-0625 719-574-0985 Fax
http://www.rmcrperformance.com
kook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:58 AM   #5
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
Reliable = Edelbrock?? What?? They've only been out a few weeks. Quantam leap there.......
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:11 AM   #6
mth35115

Drives: 2010 Camaro rs/ss inferno orange
I drive my Magnacharger equiped 2SS/RS daily. It performs like it did before the install, until you put your foot in it, then its a whole new animal. I have lived in the high country before. I would install the maggie and a cold air intake, but once you do that it will be hard to keep from making more mods, its an addiction for so of us.

HOT ROD SS
MTH35115
mth35115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:33 AM   #7
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefe's SS View Post
I live in Colorado at a mile high, 5280 ft. The biggest problem living in Colorado/at elevation is the lack of air, or more appropriately, the lack of air pressure. We experience on avg. a 20% loss of power on NA engines compared to sea level. After purchasing my 2010 2SS L99 I'm realizing that I'm not quite satisfied w/ it's power output. I guess I have high expectations. No pun intended. So I'm may be in the market for a SC. What I'm looking for is mild boost to help w/ the altitude issues. Engines at our altitude respond very well to boost. What I'm looking for is the most reliable SC kit available. I'm not interested in a cam change due to the nature of the L99 and its AFM/Vtec. I'm also not looking to drag race/put down huge HP numbers. I want a reliable car w/o having to fuss w/ it. I just want to drive it and get into the throttle a bit and not be embarased by smaller 4/6 cyl. cars w/ turbos like the WRX crowd.I've been seeing the Magna Charger Supercharger TVS2300 for 2010 Camaro SS mentioned here and I've read a little bit about it and it seems it's what I'm looking for. Any info regarding this kit or others would be appreciated. Some competitive pricing advice, unit costs and install costs, would also be appreciated. If it's not too difficult I would consider installing it myself. I've read throught the install instructions and it seems rather simple and straight forward. Possibly a 6-8hr. job taking my sweet time. Any schooling you would like to give me on boosting my L99 would also be appreciated. Thanks for your help and did I mention I wanted something reliable?
You certainly can't go wrong with the Maggie with all the successful builds we and others have done.

A lot of guys are Shopping the lowest Price and finding out fast that they are not happy with the purchase, the customer service or the performance that comes with the lowest Price.

Then they are spending several hundred dollars to upgrade the supercharger pulley and the tune to where it should be.

All the While a complete package, Correct the first time with Support is Available through Jannetty Racing.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:39 AM   #8
Jefe's SS

Thank you Ted. If I was closer to you I would definitly consider having your team do the upgrade. But since you are so far away is there anyone in my neck of the woods you could recommend for the install/tune?
Old 07-12-2010, 10:41 AM   #9
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
RMCR would be my choice in CO.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:48 AM   #10
Jefe's SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kook View Post
Edelbrock E-Force Dyno
So here is a pic of the last Edelbrock E-Force on a 2010 SS LS3. The kit install was fairly simple except for the fact that Edelbrock miss machined the valley cover and we had a massive oil leak.

After pulling the supercharger off and re machining the cover on my mill here are the #'s we got. This is with a pulley one size smaller and a custom tune. All in all this is a great kit and actually like the fit better than some of the other positive displacement supercharger kits.

This was with about 9lbs of boost, ARH Headers & Exhaust.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 892x650 and weights 115KB.

Mike Wendling
Rocky Mountain Competitive Research
2275 Waynoka Rd. Unit E&F
719-574-0625 719-574-0985 Fax
http://www.rmcrperformance.com
Mike, your "location" under your username states Indiana. Are you recommending RMCR or are you RMCR?
Do you know Rick Rimmer? I had one of his pkgs. put on a 4cyl Jeep TJ/Wrangler about ten years ago and my experiences w/ him were short of stellar. Way short.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:41 PM   #11
TeddyP25

Drives: 2SS
E-Force

The dyno graph above is of my car. I'm up in Fort Collins and had the guys at RMCR install this. Very happy with the results, runs like a daily if ya want or puts it down real nice if ya wanna fly. Any questions feel free to pm me or rmcr guys on here.
2SS/RS CGM/BLK GFX MN6418 Stroker.785rwhp/885lbtq.50 SHOT NO2..Pfadt arms,toe links,coilovers,swaybars,end links,engine mounts,dif/sub bushings.MGWshifter.Tick LVL 3.ARH1 7/8 LT's/ARH exhaust.ADM gauges/race CAI.E-FORCE SC.8 rib IW 10%OD.LPE dual pump/module.85lb inj,custom valve covers.RMCR tune.TOOLEY RACING CAM.JRE posi kit.JRE fuel upgrade.RX MONSTER CatchCan.DSS axels/DS.Hammerhead rear, 3:73's. WYOSPEED builthttp://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115687
TeddyP25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:30 PM   #12
Mike@RMCR

Drives: Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefe's SS View Post
Mike, your "location" under your username states Indiana. Are you recommending RMCR or are you RMCR?
Do you know Rick Rimmer? I had one of his pkgs. put on a 4cyl Jeep TJ/Wrangler about ten years ago and my experiences w/ him were short of stellar. Way short.

We are located in Colorado Springs CO. We have been in buisness for over 12 years. I am a warehouse didtributer for Vortech Engineering, MagnaChager. Feel free to call with any questions.
Mike@RMCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:33 PM   #13
LC
ou mai gad

Drives: SW 2SS x2
I live at 5200ft too... I understand the pain...
Old 07-12-2010, 02:37 PM   #14
Mike@RMCR

Drives: Supercharged
We have seen great #'s from both systems. I personally like the Vortch kits better. We have seen higher #'s, lower IAT, and a power band that is less stressful on the drive line.

Each kit has there pros and cons and both we can make great power with. We have seen Vortech to be the most reliable in the past 12 years. Also there customer service is second to none.
Mike@RMCR is offline   Reply With Quote