Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 10-28-2013, 10:00 AM   #99
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody6.2 View Post
You make it sound like you're driving a 600whp monster.
You make it sound like you have no experience with tires whose grip goes away once the temperatures drop. When it's cold enough, even 300 HP might as well be 600; you're still gonna spin them if you get careless or clumsy even if you aren't at the dragstrip.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:17 AM   #100
Cody6.2

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
You make it sound like you have no experience with tires whose grip goes away once the temperatures drop. When it's cold enough, even 300 HP might as well be 600; you're still gonna spin them if you get careless or clumsy even if you aren't at the dragstrip.

Norm

Guess I didn't catch the temperature.

And being Camaro5 who doesn't understand how dangerous summer only tires are? Just look at all the accidednts due to overpowering cold summer only tires. The only thing more dangerous than driving when it's below 50 degrees out is turning off traction/stability control!
Cody6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:49 AM   #101
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

There's "academic knowledge" of the poor cold-weather behavior of summer tires, and then there's the deeper and much more urgent understanding of it on a gut-level, which you gain through actual real-life experience. They are not the same thing at all.

Academic knowledge lets you think that TC and ST are 100% absolutely guaranteed to save you from every possible stupidity that you might commit, including driving around in the cold on these tires like it was still a clear summer day. Gut-level knowledge knows better, and to that extent blind, absolute faith in technology can also be dangerous.

I'm certainly not advising that people turn TC & ST off here. I am asking that people remain aware that even those systems have their limits (as some people have already found out).

Norm
Old 10-28-2013, 06:17 PM   #102
Cody6.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
There's "academic knowledge" of the poor cold-weather behavior of summer tires, and then there's the deeper and much more urgent understanding of it on a gut-level, which you gain through actual real-life experience. They are not the same thing at all.

Academic knowledge lets you think that TC and ST are 100% absolutely guaranteed to save you from every possible stupidity that you might commit, including driving around in the cold on these tires like it was still a clear summer day. Gut-level knowledge knows better, and to that extent blind, absolute faith in technology can also be dangerous.

I'm certainly not advising that people turn TC & ST off here. I am asking that people remain aware that even those systems have their limits (as some people have already found out).

Norm
Guess I should've used yellow font for that last part as it was a joke. The stories of cold weather driving and nightmares of turning off TC/SC are quite comical. With that being said I respect that you offer up advice but you're kind of preaching to the choir on this one.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:58 PM   #103
Novie LE

Drives: 2014 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody6.2 View Post
You make it sound like you're driving a 600whp monster.
No, I'm driving a 1le in 40 degree temperatures on summer eagles. Not much you can do.

Btw did anybody notice that traction control still kicks on despite turning everything completely off. I had it kill one burn out where the car stepped out a little and one wheel caught. The power also cut as I was at redline,didnt hit the limiter, in second just spinning the 1-2. Is there some trick to totally turn this off? The car also bogged on really quick shifts ...once again it felt like traction control. Honestly it was very annoying to drive this thing down the strip with all these nannies overtaking the run.

I held the button for 7 seconds until both lights came on and during the power cuts something would flash on the dash right near the two lights. I didn't get a good look cause I was trying to keep it straight however it was totally killing the runs.
Novie LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:19 AM   #104
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novie LE View Post
I went Friday and it was just too cold. Got 3 run and my best run 13.1 at 110 was my first run which spun really bad on the 1-2 and through second gear. The next two the car just spun off the line so I called it a night. I will try again on a weekend during the day where it is not in the high 40s.
Yep and yep....the G2s are awful in the cold.

Ohhh wait...according to bluebeastsrt all you need to do is learn how to heat up the tires and drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt View Post
Learn to heat up your tires and dont be so overvelous on the throttle next time.Come back and talk to me once you figure out what your doing wrong coming out of the whole
Old 10-30-2013, 08:46 PM   #105
Cody6.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novie LE View Post
No, I'm driving a 1le in 40 degree temperatures on summer eagles. Not much you can do.

Btw did anybody notice that traction control still kicks on despite turning everything completely off. I had it kill one burn out where the car stepped out a little and one wheel caught. The power also cut as I was at redline,didnt hit the limiter, in second just spinning the 1-2. Is there some trick to totally turn this off? The car also bogged on really quick shifts ...once again it felt like traction control. Honestly it was very annoying to drive this thing down the strip with all these nannies overtaking the run.

I held the button for 7 seconds until both lights came on and during the power cuts something would flash on the dash right near the two lights. I didn't get a good look cause I was trying to keep it straight however it was totally killing the runs.
Sounds like the typical GM bullshit TC/SC as the same thing happens in my 2010 GMC Canyon. Display says traction and stability control is off but the rear brakes still engage when you spin the tires.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:57 AM   #106
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Apparently some of these systems can turn themselves back on under certain circumstances. This isn't the first time (or mfr) I've heard about where when the TC and/or stability control was defeated they did not stay defeated.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 10-31-2013 at 08:15 AM.