Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 05-24-2012, 09:06 AM   #15
Nick Boulin

Drives: 2012 1SS 6-speed
[QUOTE=Camaromann;3749310]--------------------------------------
"First, the mechanic removed all of the 134a from the system and checked the content. He found that there was 2 ounces of freon TOO MUCH. The system is supposed to have .54kg (approx. 19 ounces) and my car had .61kg (approx. 21 ounces).
The mechanic thinks that the extra freon might have caused higher operating pressure, which might cause the compressor to cycle too frequently. But, only 2 extra ounces - he discounted that as a reason for the problem."

Overcharged A/C system will act just like an undercharged system and give less than desirable results. 2oz doesn't seem like much but if it only holds 19oz, your talking about a 11% overfill. Glad you got it all taken care of.
Nick Boulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #16
2012-2SS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
My A/C doesn't cycle, it blows "cool" but not cold as it should. I have to keep the fan speed up real high to keep cool. Would a computer reset be the problem, or is it too much refrigerant?

2012-2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:29 PM   #17
dcplus14

Drives: '12 Camaro 2SS/RS/Hurst
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsnow View Post
took mine back for reprogram.... didn't get cold enough..... took back again due to wet sock smell.... they programmed evap fan to run longer? seems better.
I get that wet sock smell too, when the A/C is not running...is this a common problem?
[AAC DRL LED's, AAC LED's for trunk, cabin, license plate, CAI Intake, RX Catch Can, Skip shift eliminator, Pedders Sub-Frame Inserts, Pedders Radius Rod Inserts, Pedders Rack & Pinion Bushing, 1LE front and rear sway bars]
dcplus14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:23 AM   #18
DeAdMiKe187

Drives: Black 2012 2LT
Wow, sorry to hear about all of these issues. I keep my AC fan speed on 1, and sometimes it feels too cold (and I like the cold), so I have to take the temperature off of Max. One thing that I have noticed, is that I occasionally start the car and the AC light is off, or the AC and Recirculation light is off. I can't recall if this is only when I turn the AC off (by turning the fan speed down all the way), or if it happens even without doing that. I'll try to pay attention to that next time.
DeAdMiKe187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:06 PM   #19
MustangKiller

Drives: 2013 2ss/rs A6 yellow !!!!!
My ac also sucks and too think i traded my 10 on this
MustangKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:59 AM   #20
azrickster

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM 6M #38916
I live in Phoenix, AZ. My AC blows cold and keeps up with the heat. But my AC blower motor seems to variations, especially noticable when I'm idling. I have Flowmasters, so hearing the blower variations is impossible. Could this be due to something simple like reprogramming? Perhaps a weak alternator or battery? I don't see anything online regarding this issue...
azrickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:18 PM   #21
bigbob11

Drives: 2012 2SS
Is it normal for the recirculation light to stay on even if the AC is off
bigbob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:24 PM   #22
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob11 View Post
Is it normal for the recirculation light to stay on even if the AC is off

On page 8-2 in the owner's manual it states:

(Recirculation): Press to turn on the recirculation. An indicator light comes on. Air is recirculated inside the vehicle. It helps to quickly cool the air inside the vehicle or prevent outside air and odors from entering. Operation in the recirculation mode while the air conditioner is off increases humidity and may cause the windows to fog. Recirculation is not available in the defrost or defog modes. To improve fuel efficiency and to cool the vehicle faster, recirculation may be automatically selected in warm weather. The recirculation light will not come on. Press the little recirculate button to select recirculation; press it again to select outside air.

I hope this information was helpful.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 06-09-2012, 11:58 AM   #23
azrickster

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM 6M #38916
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrickster View Post
I live in Phoenix, AZ. My AC blows cold and keeps up with the heat. But my AC blower motor seems to variations, especially noticable when I'm idling. I have Flowmasters, so hearing the blower variations is impossible. Could this be due to something simple like reprogramming? Perhaps a weak alternator or battery? I don't see anything online regarding this issue...
UPDATE
Got the Camaro back from the Dealer. Turns out there was nothing wrong with any of the mechanical components. The issue was related to a simple reprogram of the AC system. We're back up and running like new.
azrickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:03 AM   #24
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
The AC SUCKS in these cars. I never had a car with such bad AC.

I brought my car in for the AC fix because I noticed that the AC would not shut off even when I turn it off. Ever since I brought it in, the AC would shut off when I turn it off but the air is never as cold as it should be. The air is cool, but not cold.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:57 AM   #25
craigd853

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgehead2000 View Post
I just traded in my '11 and noticed that the AC does blow, literally. Took it to the dealer and he said to start using the recirculation button. After that, this OKC heat was tolerable.

The new '12 I traded for has the same issue. Use recirculation and it helps. The '11 Buick Lacrosse loaner that they gave me had an awesome AC, though so I'm wondering what Chevy forgot to do that has us griping about it.
You should always use the recirc whenever possible. The car gets better gas mileage and the air is much colder because it's not cooling air from the outside and brining it into the car. It recirculates the cooler air inside the vehicle making the A/C run less and improving mileage and cold air at the same time.
craigd853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:02 AM   #26
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
The AC SUCKS in these cars. I never had a car with such bad AC.

I brought my car in for the AC fix because I noticed that the AC would not shut off even when I turn it off. Ever since I brought it in, the AC would shut off when I turn it off but the air is never as cold as it should be. The air is cool, but not cold.
I can look into this further if you would like. I can certainly understand that you have a concern with it not as cold as you would like it to be. Please send me your first and last name, address, phone number, VIN, mileage, and involved dealership and I will be able to set up a case to contact your dealership. I look forward to your PM.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 03-27-2013, 02:34 PM   #27
hzdj2c

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I own a 2010 2SS. In February while traveling the east to west coasts of Florida I noticed the temperature in the car increasing. Placing the AC at MAX cold and full fan did not change anything. I could feel cold air but very little air and a lot of vapors. In addition there was a whining sound. The 1st trip to the dealership resulted in "no trouble found". After having a dealer service rep ride with me on the FL Turnpike he agreed there was an issue. The 2nd stay at the dealership resulted in them replacing the air compressor which they stated had been over charged. Other than oil changes the dealership was the only hands that touched my Camaro. They had no record at the dealership of having charged the system. Nonetheless the new compressor did not change the issue. The 3rd trip to the dealership resulted in "everything is normal". Funny that it was not "normal" the 1st 18 months that I owned the card. Again a dealer rep road with me on the turnpike with similar results. The car is now at the dealership for the 4th time. They said that a code was generated and that the was a failure of one modue; an intermittent failure of another module; and, a short. I am hoping to pick up the car tomorrow. And by the way he also were working with GM reprogramming modules prior to replacing the compressor. Obviously all of that was in vain. If you are having trouble with your dealership over an AC issue I would encourage you to contact GM in Detroit (866-790-5700). Open a problem ticket with them and leave it open until either the car is fixed or they escalate to the GM District representative. I could not take advantage of the Florida Lemon Law because even though my Camaro is under warranty it is over 24 months old. Dealerships do not like hearing from Detroit or the GM District representative so put on the pressure. Don't let them tell you that you don't have a problem. Also even if you are a couple of miles within your warranty expiration once you report it to GM and have an incident record your car will be repaired for that issue even when the warranty expires. I hope this info helps. I will post another message as soon as I get the replacement part numbers and confirm that the issue has been resolved.
hzdj2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:01 PM   #28
hzdj2c

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Angry AC issue 2010 Camaro 2SS

I own a 2010 2SS. In February while traveling the east to west coasts of Florida I noticed the temperature in the car increasing. Placing the AC at MAX cold and full fan did not change anything. I could feel cold air by touching the vents but very little air and a lot of vapors were entering the car. In addition there was a whining sound which is apparant when shifting gears until you reach your cruising speed. The whining at that point is just annoying. The 1st trip to the dealership resulted in "no trouble found". Two days later after having a dealer service rep ride with me on the FL Turnpike he agreed there was an issue. The 2nd stay at the dealership resulted in the dealership working with GM reprogramming modules and replacing the air compressor. They stated the compressor had been over charged. Other than oil changes the dealership was the only hands that touched my Camaro. Of course they had no record of having charged the system. Nonetheless the new compressor did not change the issue. The 3rd trip to the dealership resulted in "everything is normal". Funny that it was not "normal" the 1st 18 months that I owned the car. Once again a dealer rep road with me on the turnpike with similar results to observe the loss if AC and the whining sound. Incidently when you turn off the control for the fan speed the whining stops. Turn it back on the the whining continues. The car is now at the dealership for the 4th time. They said that a code was generated and that there was a failure of one modue; an intermittent failure of another module; and, a short. By the way they were also working with GM reprogramming modules prior to replacing the compressor. Obviously all of that was in vain. If you are having trouble with your dealership over an AC issue I would encourage you to contact GM in Detroit (866-790-5700). Open a problem ticket with them and leave it open until either the car is fixed or they escalate to the GM District representative. I could not take advantage of the Florida Lemon Law because even though my Camaro is under warranty it is over 24 months old. Dealerships do not like hearing from Detroit or the GM District representative so put on the pressure. Don't let them tell you that you don't have a problem. Also even if you are a couple of miles within your warranty expiration once you report it to GM and have an incident record your car will be repaired for that issue even when the warranty expires. I hope this info helps. I will post another message as soon as I get the replacement part numbers and confirm that the issue has been resolved. I am to pick up the car tomorrow. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
hzdj2c is offline   Reply With Quote