Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-13-2014, 10:12 AM   #43
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
Mine are always on. only time i turn them off is when i wanna do a burn out. driving with them off to me is plain stupid. No wonder people crash.
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:37 AM   #44
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Wild Bucking Bronco! Sure the nannies are some times a real pain in the ass, but plenty of those times I'd probably would've done a 180 or worst in a busy intersection. They do result in a false sense of security because when they start to kick in you just leave your footed planted to the floor and enjoy the Bronco ride. Lots of jerking back and forth as it gives and takes power, but it makes it easy to steer thru it all! With them turned OFF you'd have to let off the throttle or lose control.
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:41 AM   #45
GEEKFREEKSCOTTY
Autoboticus Roboticus

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
IIRC, the TC will only chop the throttle on a fly-by-wire car.

The stability control is the system that applies the brakes individually.
Yup.. you are correct.

Here's a couple of good articles explaining how each system works, and how they work together.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-safety/traction-control.html

http://www.edmunds.com/car-safety/st...-yaws-out.html

And here are some videos explaining the technology:

(ESP)

(ABS)

(TCS)

(Demonstration of all 3 by 5th Gear TV show)

(A Lamborghini doing a demonstration of with and without ESP on)
Old 05-13-2014, 10:43 AM   #46
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
If I know I am going to play, and am tuned in at that level of attention, then i turn them off. It does not matter the intent of the trip, it depends on my mood at the time. I would say mine are on 90% of the time, and off the other. I appreciate them protecting my Goodyears against unintended slippage! Damned things are expensive!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:45 AM   #47
McRat

Drives: 2010 ZR1 "Satan"
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckstacamaro View Post
Hey McRat; "There was simply no cars in the sixties and seventies that were all that fast, or had good enough manners to get you into a 4 wheel high speed drift."

I disagree with your statement stating that there were NO cars in the sixties and Seventies that could do a high speed Drift. I was drifting a 70 Chevy Nova back in 1978 with a warmed over Small Block 350, pushing about 400 HP, way before the Drifting was even a word or recognized sport.

My friends and I would drive around this banked bicycle track, with our so called Underpowered 60's/70's muscle cars just to see who could bank the turns sideways the longest. No ABS, No sway bars, No TC, just running on pure Horsepower and Torque on 14 and 15 inch wide tread tires. It all has to do with driving skill and not what the car can or cannot do.

I was referring to stock production cars. Sure you could upgrade them to remove some of the issues, but not all. Tire tech has come a very long way since the 15" rim.

They handled poorly, and lost control way before today's mini-van.

There are even 175mph American station wagons now that can click off a very low 12 ET and pull nearly a g in a corner.

If you could drive a 1965 V8 Mustang fast, you could probably kick Schumacher's ass today.
2010 ZR1 "Satan" no times yet.
2013 Volt SCCA Solo2 #771 HS3.
And a bunch of Duramaxes.
McRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:48 AM   #48
GEEKFREEKSCOTTY
Autoboticus Roboticus

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
As other people have stated...

Correcting a vehicle that's about ready to get out of control requires different techniques if you have the nannies off than they do if you have them on.

With the nannies on, the car is doing most of the work FOR you.. which, might give you a false sense of security if you feel like taking them off.

Unless you've learned how to control and maneuver out of a trouble situation with a powerful RWD car, leave the nannies on until you've gone to a driving school and and learned how to drive with them off.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:11 AM   #49
colingordon
Her Name is Mila

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LT A6, 2014 Camaro 1LS
lets put it into a real world driving scenario. If you are taking a left hand turn at a intersection and you cut it to hard and to fast:

WITH TC: you simply feel a violent vibration and braking feeling that prevents your ass end from sliding into the other lane and doing a 360 degree spin.

WITHOUT TC: your tires will slide over the concrete sending your ass end around and if you know how to drive you will send your front wheels the oppoiste way and complete a pretty badass drift (like I do sometimes.... on a close course of course .) but if you dont know what your doing, your gonna be sent into a 180, 360, 540, 720 degree spin depending on how slippery the road is!

LETS PUT IT THIS WAY.... Unless you are having fun and KNOW HOW TO DO IT SAFELY keep the nannies on.... NUFF SAID
Old 05-13-2014, 11:24 AM   #50
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post

If you could drive a 1965 V8 Mustang fast, you could probably kick Schumacher's ass today.
I assume this is in jest, and if not, it is just plain silly. I get he is still in a coma, so yes, I am sure he would be beatable now! As a past owner of some 60's and 70's muscle cars, and having had the opportunity to drive others, I agree they are a handful compared to todays cars. YOu had to be good to get all you could out of them, but their performance ceiling was low in stock trim compared to todays factory hotrods. You have to be just as good at driving to get everything out of todays cars, the end result is just much higher up the scale. It is fun to compare our '69 to the '13. There is a massive difference!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:40 AM   #51
blackedOUTSS610

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS/RS
ok .. another dumb question ... nannies???????
blackedOUTSS610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:45 AM   #52
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
OP does your Mom spend alot of time at the drag strip? On the street leave it on.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:52 AM   #53
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackedOUTSS610 View Post
ok .. another dumb question ... nannies???????
traction and stability control.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:53 AM   #54
TxBandit911
Call Me"Doc"

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by colingordon View Post
lets put it into a real world driving scenario. If you are taking a left hand turn at a intersection and you cut it to hard and to fast:

WITH TC: you simply feel a violent vibration and braking feeling that prevents your ass end from sliding into the other lane and doing a 360 degree spin.

WITHOUT TC: your tires will slide over the concrete sending your ass end around and if you know how to drive you will send your front wheels the oppoiste way and complete a pretty badass drift (like I do sometimes.... on a close course of course .) but if you dont know what your doing, your gonna be sent into a 180, 360, 540, 720 degree spin depending on how slippery the road is!

LETS PUT IT THIS WAY.... Unless you are having fun and KNOW HOW TO DO IT SAFELY keep the nannies on.... NUFF SAID
I thought what you just described is SC, not TC. Also if you're turning left from an intersection and would spin the car around without TC/SC you're doing it wrong...slow the hell down..
TxBandit911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:56 AM   #55
McRat

Drives: 2010 ZR1 "Satan"
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
I assume this is in jest, and if not, it is just plain silly. I get he is still in a coma, so yes, I am sure he would be beatable now! As a past owner of some 60's and 70's muscle cars, and having had the opportunity to drive others, I agree they are a handful compared to todays cars. YOu had to be good to get all you could out of them, but their performance ceiling was low in stock trim compared to todays factory hotrods. You have to be just as good at driving to get everything out of todays cars, the end result is just much higher up the scale. It is fun to compare our '69 to the '13. There is a massive difference!

DOH!!! Hope he recovers. Sadly his skiis probably did not have SC on them.
2010 ZR1 "Satan" no times yet.
2013 Volt SCCA Solo2 #771 HS3.
And a bunch of Duramaxes.
McRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:21 PM   #56
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackedOUTSS610 View Post
I want to start off by saying I have a L99 2012 SS .... 100% of the time I drive around and do not mess with the Traction Control / Stabilitrak / etc. On Mothers Day ... I was crusing around with my Mom who owns a Honda Accord. She noticed the buttons and said that on nice days I should probably be hitting that button once to disable traction control to save the brakes, etc. Does this make sense. What do you guys do?
You're going to get a variety of opinions here, and some of that can be the result of some people having extensive driving experience before TC was even available, vs those who have none.

If you're at an autocross or possibly a road course HPDE, it is possible for the rear brakes to get used more than you think, with some cars being worse than others. Partial brake fade and shortened pad life are not acceptable consequences . . . though you won't run into a pad wear problem on the street without at least a little warning (brake pad wear indicators sounding off), and you shouldn't be fading the brakes on the street period.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote