Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-24-2013, 03:52 AM   #1
khanh

Drives: 2012 45th anniversary V8 LS3
lowering springs

Hi,

I khow it has been discussed many times but I am still not sure about buying lowering springs.

I have been searching in forum and find out 2 opinions here. One is: "Hars ride." and other: "Ride almost like a stock."

I want to lower my car only for look and I like the stock comfort ride.
But I can't imagine what is almost like a stock or harsh or little bit stiffer.

I need some advice from lowering springs owners.
For example. In 1 inch lowered camaro, is ride with only driver over bumps and rough street similar like driving in stock camaro loaded with 4 people in same road conditions?

I don't know if this example is understandable. Sorry for my english.

Thank you.
khanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:54 AM   #2
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Due to the reduced shock travel, lowering springs have to be stiffer than stock, otherwise they would bottom out the struts. The stiffer rate also helps with performance and handling. The stiffer the rate = a harsher ride over bumps.

I'd recommend going with the Hotchkis 1" drop springs. They offer a progressive rate that is fairly soft while cruising, but once compressed the rate increases to give you the firmness you need in the corners.

Feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales@JDP View Post
Due to the reduced shock travel, lowering springs have to be stiffer than stock, otherwise they would bottom out the struts. The stiffer rate also helps with performance and handling. The stiffer the rate = a harsher ride over bumps.

I'd recommend going with the Hotchkis 1" drop springs. They offer a progressive rate that is fairly soft while cruising, but once compressed the rate increases to give you the firmness you need in the corners.

Feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
I have the Hotchkis. The ride is nice and well controlled over different road conditions. The ride on the bumps is not bone jarring hard, it is softer, not stock, you feel the abruptness of the bump as the spring goes from a softer rate to a more firm rate to controll movement, but not bad, you know you hit a bump though. Over coninued rough pavement the ride can get jiggly, but again not harsh, just annoying at times
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:03 AM   #4
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Like was mentioned above, lowering springs have a higher spring rate due to the nature of what they are. That does not mean they have to be harsh though. In my opinion the Pfadt lowering springs are the best riding lowering spring available for these cars.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #5
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
On another note, I like the 1" drop and no more for ground clearance. Ihave noticed with a splitter or goingup or down the driveway or speed bumps, or over parking bumpers the extra .25" is very usefull.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #6
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Going to be honest, unless the roads have changed from when i last saw where you are located a decade ago, lowering springs are probably not for you.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:54 PM   #7
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
Going to be honest, unless the roads have changed from when i last saw where you are located a decade ago, lowering springs are probably not for you.
Come to Salt lake city and driver a lowered car. You get good at it! Our run off systems are pretty crazy in some places.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote