Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-02-2010, 03:46 PM   #1
iom

Drives: 2010 camaro iom ss rs
BOLT ON UPGRADE'S . . . HOW TO . . . ( PLEASE HELP )

Ok guy's ,

I had my car for a while now and because my family dont like my camaro i never use it.

I hade my car for one year now and only have 3,000 mile's.

Out of bordness i decided to start upgrading .

Please keep in mine im a slow kind of person and would like to take step by step.

I would like to do all the bolt ons one by one ,

BUT DONT NO WHERE TO START !

• 1. I just got a max energy for my l99 , what is the step by step
  • to get the gains hypertech is claiming ,are these gains on a stock
  • car or at that are they real ?

After i figure out how to tune the programmer for maxium gain i am going to buy the axle back borla atak setup

• 2. i understand the resonator issue with the l99 , but im gonna put on high flow cats & xpipe later.

Is there any other reason why i should not go with the axle back , i have the programmer & im gonna put the xpipe with hfc's .

Once i get the hfc & xpipe installed im gonna put on a cai

• 3. who makes the best intake & should i get one of does air sensor upgrade's ?

• 4. after that im gonna put in long headers.
  • 5 . from there im gonna sell my hypertech and do a custome tune
  • 6. turbo , supercharge , nitro , what will be best as far as hp , price , safety .
  • & can i combo any of them like a turbo with nitro

Please let me know if i should do something different or if i got this down the right path.

Thanks.
iom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:39 PM   #2
RedJewel2SS
12.23s@113mph

Drives: 2SS/RS, A6, just a few bolt ons
sell the hypertech NOW! your not going to gain anything with it on a stock car.

do not buy an aftermarket MAF sensor, they are worthless!

intake and exhaust should be your first 2 mods.
if you plan to do headers, buy a cat-back instead of axle back, easier to install and more hp gain; unless you plan on getting the ARH headers, cats, & x-pipe kit.
Jannetty Racing is doing a intake comparison, once those results are out choose the intake you like.

find the headers & cats you like that bolt into the stock exhaust location (Kooks or ARH short kit)

you need to do the tune at the same time as the headers. all your other mods do not NEED a tune, but the headers do!

RIP Cammie 7/15/2009 - 4/1/2011
RedJewel2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:57 PM   #3
sspaul

Drives: 2010 ss camaro, imperial blue
Send a message via AIM to sspaul Send a message via Yahoo to sspaul
i would do the cold air intake and headers first along with a tune.
www.twitter.com/1djchampagne
mods: borla long tube headers, borla atak catback, lingenfelter gt-9 cam, ported heads, ecs base kit running 11 psi on top end, 1" bmr drop spring, aam 3.70 gears, ported throttle body, 160* thermorstat, lethal racing tune

750/641 rwhp/rwtq
sspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:42 AM   #4
ZZcamaro

Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
I would also suggest you do the CAI and a cat-back exhaust FIRST...
Then for the next round of upgrades I would do some type of headers with a tune.

That seems to be the best route with thse cars and you will nto be throwing any money away.
ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:15 AM   #5
NickJRE

Drives: Nothing Fun.
Cold Air Kit
Long Tube Headers w/ High Flow Cats
Tune

This package typically makes 415RWHP on our Dyno. Best bang for the buck.

Sounds good even with the rest of the stock exhaust.
NickJRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:28 AM   #6
sspaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickJRE View Post
Cold Air Kit
Long Tube Headers w/ High Flow Cats
Tune

This package typically makes 415RWHP on our Dyno. Best bang for the buck.

Sounds good even with the rest of the stock exhaust.
same setup except i removed the cats and have a catback system and made the same power along with an underdrive pulley
mods: borla long tube headers, borla atak catback, lingenfelter gt-9 cam, ported heads, ecs base kit running 11 psi on top end, 1" bmr drop spring, aam 3.70 gears, ported throttle body, 160* thermorstat, lethal racing tune

750/641 rwhp/rwtq
Old 08-03-2010, 11:52 AM   #7
NickJRE

Drives: Nothing Fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspaul View Post
same setup except i removed the cats and have a catback system and made the same power along with an underdrive pulley

Yea our Street Package is our best seller.
NickJRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:17 PM   #8
06blownSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
?

Why would YOU not drive YOUR car because your family doesn't like it??
Black on Black on Black 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3;K&N intake, Dynatech 1 7/8 catted LTs, Borla S Cat Back, Eibach prokit, Pfadt rear trailing arms, ZL-1 driveline, BTR Stage III Cam, Tuned by Performance Redline 444.1whp & 442.9 ft-lb
06blownSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:46 PM   #9
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJewel2SS View Post
sell the hypertech NOW! your not going to gain anything with it on a stock car.
I have to disagree. The hypertech will definitely give you decent gains on a stock or near stock car. It's when you have plans to do bigger upgrades, that you don't need the hypertech. I know that the Hypertech is tuned very well, but also very safe. It's tuned so that ANYONE around the world can install it and get decent gains. No it's not on the edge, as some would like though. That's not why you buy a Hypertech. You buy a Hypertech if you want to install it, get decent gains, not worry about blowing up your car, or get CEL's. If you want the edge, you get a custom dyno tune or mailorder tune, for your particular mods.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:57 PM   #10
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to WheelmanSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
I have to disagree. The hypertech will definitely give you decent gains on a stock or near stock car. It's when you have plans to do bigger upgrades, that you don't need the hypertech. I know that the Hypertech is tuned very well, but also very safe. It's tuned so that ANYONE around the world can install it and get decent gains. No it's not on the edge, as some would like though. That's not why you buy a Hypertech. You buy a Hypertech if you want to install it, get decent gains, not worry about blowing up your car, or get CEL's. If you want the edge, you get a custom dyno tune or mailorder tune, for your particular mods.

... For the cost of a little more than the Hypercrap, you can get a dyno/street tune which will give you 1. Way better performance. 2. Proven results of your car and 3. Just as safe, if not safer, or a tune.

I think that is why the other guy is implying the Hypercrap is garbage, just did not elaborate enough.
- Kooks Stepped Headers, Magnaflow 16580
- Suspension by Pfadt, Hotchkis.

2007 Trailblazer SS- Sold
2001 Trans Am WS6 431 RWHP 408 RWTQ - Sold
1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
WheelmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:15 PM   #11
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
... For the cost of a little more than the Hypercrap, you can get a dyno/street tune which will give you 1. Way better performance. 2. Proven results of your car and 3. Just as safe, if not safer, or a tune.

I think that is why the other guy is implying the Hypercrap is garbage, just did not elaborate enough.
He didn't say Hypertech was garbage, he said you don't gain anything on a stock or near stock car. This is totally false. It's made for a car that is stock or near stock. That was my point. If you don't like HT, that's you're perogative. Just stating that his information was incorrect.

Care to prove your opinion though? So you're saying that HT doesn't dyno test their tunes to make sure you're getting the gains? You're also implying that HT doesn't make their tunes safe for all situations? How can you get "safer" than that? If a shop is dyno tuning your car safer than the HT, they are leaving a LOT of HP on the table. If you actually read my post, you'd notice that that I said HT isn't for everyone. Many on this site want to have their car tuned for their specific mods and tuned for maximum HP/Tq. Many have more mods than the HT can properly adjust for to give maximum gains.

For the cost of your dyno tune, do you also get a 87 octane tune that is pretty damn close to the OEM tune, as far as performance? Can you easily switch back to the OEM tune, if needed?
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:37 PM   #12
iom

Does Anybody Have These Answers . . . .?

1. i do not drive my car because i dont go anywhere with out my family i guess im a family man & since they dont like it just because they are un-comfortible or what not we dont drive it.

2. i dont mean to be rude but i still got no detail answers just alot of different broad answers.

3.as of right now im gonna keep the hyper tech max energy so what is the proper way to tune it to get the gains hp claims ?

4.if im gonna buy the axle back b-atak system and then changes the cats & put on the x-pipe why do i need the buy a catback system ?

5.should i just remove the cats or get the high flow cats , im looking for gain more than sound.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:12 AM   #13
iom

No taker"s huh.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:56 AM   #14
sspaul

i just saw your from cali. you might want to see what you can legally do their first before we give you advice. i'm thinking shorty headers are the way for you to go with high flow cats. i would do a catback over the axle back. check the price difference between the 2 along with an x-pipe for the axle back.

750/641 rwhp/rwtq

Tags
bolt ons, camaro, hypertech, l99, performance