Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-12-2009, 08:10 PM   #1
jeremy02

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Inside Information Regarding SS' future -- supercharged V8

I talked to a friend today whose cousin works in Detroit as one of GMs "core designers". The way he explained it to me was that GM has a team of 200 plus designers, and less then half that carry the title of "core" designers.

I was skeptical at first as I'm sure all of you are, until he pulled up several emails. One was dated November 2004, one was dated March 2005, then there were several others of which the date I did not note. I cant recall which email it was, but it was either the November 04, or the March 05 that contained the first clay model concept of the 2010 Camaro. He has also been involved in the designing of the Chevy Volt.

Having said that, you can choose whether to believe me or not. It doesnt matter to me.

He said that right now at GM they want to make the title SuperSport live up to its name. They are talking about raising prices on the SS in the next TWO YEARS and making them more powerful. I know, I know...it seemed ludacris to me, too, but I couldnt help but believe him after seeing those emails. Apparantly there is no talk, amongst the designers at least, of a more powerful Camaro being badged a Z28.

On another note, he says there is NO talk of a turbo 4 cylinder or a more powerful 6 cylinder, either. Only talk of a supercharged 8 cylinder still being called a SuperSport.
jeremy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:48 PM   #2
CamaroUser

Drives: TrailBlazerSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy02 View Post
I talked to a friend today whose cousin works in Detroit as one of GMs "core designers". The way he explained it to me was that GM has a team of 200 plus designers, and less then half that carry the title of "core" designers.

I was skeptical at first as I'm sure all of you are, until he pulled up several emails. One was dated November 2004, one was dated March 2005, then there were several others of which the date I did not note. I cant recall which email it was, but it was either the November 04, or the March 05 that contained the first clay model concept of the 2010 Camaro. He has also been involved in the designing of the Chevy Volt.

Having said that, you can choose whether to believe me or not. It doesn't matter to me.

He said that right now at GM they want to make the title SuperSport live up to its name. They are talking about raising prices on the SS in the next TWO YEARS and making them more powerful. I know, I know...it seemed ludacris to me, too, but I couldnt help but believe him after seeing those emails. Apparantly there is no talk, amongst the designers at least, of a more powerful Camaro being badged a Z28.

On another note, he says there is NO talk of a turbo 4 cylinder or a more powerful 6 cylinder, either. Only talk of a supercharged 8 cylinder still being called a SuperSport.
Those emails are all pre-new CAFE rules and pre-bankruptcy. A lot has changed for Chevrolet in the last few months.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:25 PM   #3
Tran
Administrator

Drives: 2010 Camaro of course....
There's no need for the sarcastic responses. Please post in a respectful manner. The OP is merely sharing info he came across, be it correct or incorrect, credible or not. Thank you.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:32 PM   #4
fad1

Drives: Future 5th gen Camaro
Let's see what happens, I don't think that should alter our purchase of a new Camaro anytime soon though. I do agree with the comment though about the email being pre GM turmoil days. As a natter of fact, GM will have to create a way to compete with the 5.0 Mustang that is due in 2010 labeled as a MY2011.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:37 PM   #5
McGruff

Drives: 98 Saturn
Supercharged V8 would be Z28 territory only. Chevy would be stupid to try and sell a mass-produced suped V8 right now.
McGruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:44 PM   #6
moto-camaro
CEO of the Internet

Drives: the Roflcopter
Send a message via AIM to moto-camaro Send a message via MSN to moto-camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGruff View Post
Supercharged V8 would be Z28 territory only. Chevy would be stupid to try and sell a mass-produced suped V8 right now.
it'd be Z/28 Territory if the Z/28 was to be 'top dog' per se.
this sparks an age-old debate though on this site though. i'm to young to be able to have seen the original days of the camaro, but i recall a few members posts of how the SS was above the Z/28 as far as engine displacement is concerned. maybe a few more knowledgable members could chime in.

this sparks the beating of the dead horse though, everyones got their opinion on it.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:49 PM   #7
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
My SS 4th gen was more powerful than the Z-28 and had ram air to boot. SS ruled
tjbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:56 PM   #8
qbert48

Drives: 2SS SIM
was Z 28 not a "looks package as well as a SS"

welcome home
1100 4-27-09
6000 6-27-09

yes i got to the dance late don't hate me
qbert48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:07 PM   #9
Pauls69RSSS
camaro guy

Drives: 'wing or 69 RS/SS or 10 RS/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-camaro View Post
this sparks an age-old debate though on this site though... i recall a few members posts of how the SS was above the Z/28 as far as engine displacement is concerned. maybe a few more knowledgable members could chime in.
I have only paid enough attention to the '69 model year so that is the only year I can answer semi-intelligently on.

In '69 Chevrolet only offered the 302 engine (DZ engine code) in the Z-28 and only the 4-speed manual transmission was available. The Z-28 was built to compete in Trans Am racing which had a 5 liter limit on displacement. It was conservatively estimated at 290 hp.

The '69 SS had four options (plus the COPO options that most dealers apparently didn't know about). It offered one small block - a 300 hp 350 c.i.d. and three hp versions of the 396 - 325, 350 and 375 hp. You could get it with a standard (manual transmission) or the automatic.

The Z-28 was built for road racing while the SS did very well (especially the COPO Camaros) at the drag strip.

Hope that helps some.

Paul
Pauls69RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:30 PM   #10
mike25

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
it wont happen. they are killing the v8...i look for some highperformance smaller motors to be used instead
mike25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:01 PM   #11
BlueMarlin
phi alpha

Drives: 2005 GMC Envoy
I don't think they want to overshadow the corvette, also GM is looking to move in the direction of green, unfortunately this is the opposite direction.

IMO they should offer a Z/28 with an enhanced package that is similar to the 2010 Z06 550 HP.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:00 AM   #12
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike25 View Post
it wont happen. they are killing the v8...i look for some highperformance smaller motors to be used instead
Hardly. Overreact much?

One thing I'm not clear on with the OP's post is whether the emails supporting these supercharged SS rumors were dated 5 years ago like the rest or are current. If this information is 5 years old, then yes, there was a debate whether the Z28 or SS would be more powerful. Until recently, it was settled that the SS would be the lower performance model, and the Z28, if it ever happened, would be the top performance model. Of course, Bob Lutz' latest statements have thrown this all into debate again. If this information is current, then that could support the new theory that the Z28 is once again planned to be the lower model,but since Lutz seemed to throw dirt on the notion of a GM-built supercharged Camaro I'm still doubting this.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:07 AM   #13
songsj

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS Summit White
I think the ground work has already been laid by mass producing the SS. If there is a 5th Generation Z28 it will most likely be the top dog!!
songsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:16 AM   #14
NightmareSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 92 300zx 2001 Ram
i think if a z28 is made it should have a "track pack" set up so to say...but if its gonna be more power it should be the SS all the way!!!