Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 06-10-2012, 11:40 AM   #1
Compromis/sed

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Would anybody buy new tires that were more than 6 years old?

I bought a pair of Toyo Proxes 4 tires from a Camaro5 Vendor. Before installing them, I checked the DOT date stamp to see the tire's age. It's in code but easy to decifer. The pair were stamped "0306" which means they were manufactured the 3rd week of 2006! Needless to say this didn't sit very well with me. When you buy new tires you expect the tires to be newly manufactured. At least within the last year. These tires are over 6 years old.

So I did some research here on Camaro5 to see if I was over-reacting and it's okay to run 6+ year old tires on your car. I found this thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ferrerid=57189

There a link in the thread to a 20/20 news report where people have died and industry experts have deemed any new tire over 5 years old is a safety hazard. Armed with this information, I contacted the vendor and asked for a refund or newly manufactured replacements. Their reply was shocking. They basicly said there was no law against selling old, new tires and that they would be covered under Toyo's manufactuer's warranty. I told them if I knew the tires were more than 6 years old before I bought them that I would never purchased them. I informed them that they are going on a SS Camaro and will be subjected to high speeds and G-forces. They didn't care and it's really disappointing.

So, my question to the senior members, tire experts and those with experience on here is "Should I be concerned with 6+ year old tires on my Camaro?"
Compromis/sed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #2
SSmoothie

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6SP Blk/Blk
If you ordered new tires they should have sold you new tires. I agree that this would concern me also. Although its not against the law to sell them it should be noted on the sale.

If the tires show and cracking (checking) on the inside or outside then the warranty should cover and you should be able to return them

Although I do have 6 year old tires on a car I don't drive much, only about 10,000 miles on them. But when I purchased them they were new.

I would put negative feedback on this vendor.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
bkscott

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I would be concerned they were dry rotted. 6 years in a warehouse will do god only knows what to a tire.

ADM CAI, Borla Type S Cat Back, VMAX Ported TB, LG Short Throw Shifter, 1LE Shocks, Hotchkis Sway Bars, Whiteline Cradle Bushing Inserts, Custom Powdercoated ZL1's ,Michelin Pilot Supersports, Stainless Power Headers, Solo J Pipes, AAC LED Sidemarkers, ZL1 Rockers, SLP Splitter, ADM Stage II Cam,ZL1 Diffuser,Vitesse Throttle Controller.

bkscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:51 PM   #4
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour

Drives: SIM 2LT RS
Unfortunately this is very common. I check the dates on my tires also due to a report I read about this some years ago. There is no law to prevent this, even though it's dangerous. Over time tire get brittle and crack, not something u want on any car at high speeds.

Only thing you can do is make sure the tires are new before you buy them.

Sometimes the nature of safety goes out the window when it comes to making a buck and uninformed customers. If more people knew and were concerned it would change.
you shood see what they allow when it comes to tires for simi trucks.

expect nothing, but take everything
liquidsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:29 PM   #5
Compromis/sed

Thanks for the advise. As consumers, we should all be informed of these shady practices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmoothie View Post
If you ordered new tires they should have sold you new tires. I agree that this would concern me also. Although its not against the law to sell them it should be noted on the sale.

If the tires show and cracking (checking) on the inside or outside then the warranty should cover and you should be able to return them

Although I do have 6 year old tires on a car I don't drive much, only about 10,000 miles on them. But when I purchased them they were new.

I would put negative feedback on this vendor.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:31 PM   #6
Compromis/sed

I completely agree. It's very surprising that this is acceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkscott View Post
I would be concerned they were dry rotted. 6 years in a warehouse will do god only knows what to a tire.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:35 PM   #7
Compromis/sed

I'm glad to see people are revisiting the thread "A scary look at old tires". It is a dangerous situation and people should be informed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidsmoke View Post
Unfortunately this is very common. I check the dates on my tires also due to a report I read about this some years ago. There is no law to prevent this, even though it's dangerous. Over time tire get brittle and crack, not something u want on any car at high speeds.

Only thing you can do is make sure the tires are new before you buy them.

Sometimes the nature of safety goes out the window when it comes to making a buck and uninformed customers. If more people knew and were concerned it would change.
you shood see what they allow when it comes to tires for simi trucks.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:43 PM   #8
Jay_LHD3

Drives: 2019 F150 RCSB Abyss FX4
Have you contacted the vendor?

He/she may had just got the tires from a tire warehouse that shipped directly to you, might not even know they were six years old. Also, I wouldn't give negative feedback on something that could had been a simply mistake and can be corrected pretty easily on their part.
Jay_LHD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:44 PM   #9
Quick

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th
I'm no tire expert but i have worked at goodyear for 15 years building tires.A 6 year old tire should NOT be mounted unless its used on light weight trailers or such.No way would I trust them on a high performance vehicle.

Something wicked this way cometh...
Quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:18 PM   #10
Compromis/sed

Yes. He is well aware of my concerns and has acknowledged the age of the tires. He just doesn't see a problem since it isn't against the law to sell old tires. It's disappointing that people are just out to make a buck rather than care about the safety of another individual. I intend to file negative feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_LHD3 View Post
Have you contacted the vendor?

He/she may had just got the tires from a tire warehouse that shipped directly to you, might not even know they were six years old. Also, I wouldn't give negative feedback on something that could had been a simply mistake and can be corrected pretty easily on their part.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:19 PM   #11
Compromis/sed

Amen brother. My thoughts exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick View Post
I'm no tire expert but i have worked at goodyear for 15 years building tires.A 6 year old tire should NOT be mounted unless its used on light weight trailers or such.No way would I trust them on a high performance vehicle.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:32 PM   #12
Jay_LHD3

Drives: 2019 F150 RCSB Abyss FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromis/sed View Post
Yes. He is well aware of my concerns and has acknowledged the age of the tires. He just doesn't see a problem since it isn't against the law to sell old tires. It's disappointing that people are just out to make a buck rather than care about the safety of another individual. I intend to file negative feedback.
That being said, you should start a thread here in the vendor feedback section so future buyers are informed.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75

Jay_LHD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:42 PM   #13
Compromis/sed

I fully intend to. I just wanted to give him every opportunity to reconsider his stance on the issue before doing so. I'm not being unreasonable. I simply would just like some newly manufactured replacements or a refund.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_LHD3 View Post
That being said, you should start a thread here in the vendor feedback section so future buyers are informed.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75

Old 06-11-2012, 01:28 AM   #14
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
You are TOTALLY reasonable. I hope this gets sorted out. I would hate for anyone to get hurt over this.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote