Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 01-27-2013, 06:38 PM   #1
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
Arrow Maxspeed's Max Build [COTW 6/30/14]

This is the story behind how my car came to live with me.

We were in Home Depot one night buying a new faucet for the bathroom. I leave her in the aisle for a few while I go look at tools. When I return I notice a few more things in the cart. Being inquisitive I hold up a new toilet paper holder and ask "why do we need this, what's wrong with the one we have"? So my wife starts to explain, but all I hear is the Charlie Brown teacher voice. When she is through I reply "Fine you can have your toilet paper holder", Then I leaned down toward her, lowered my voice to a whisper looked her in the eye, and said "but I'm getting a Camaro"! She said "fine do what you want". Up until that moment I had never mentioned a muscle car.

Two weeks later I learned that "Do what ever you want" has 2 completely different meanings between the two of us when I pulled into the driveway in a new 2011 2SS RS RJT w/GFX. To her it meant "whatever, you're not going to actually get it", while to me it was a big green light to do what ever I want. I told her I used some stock options and financed a little, and that it is costing me $34 a week. She reminded me that I told her we would one day build a room over the garage. That's when I said "Honey, when I said that we would build a room over the garage, it had the same meaning to me as do what you want did to you"! It was very quite and chilly at home for the next 2 weeks, but so worth it!

My wife learned an important life lesson. Don't tell me to do what ever I want! Because I will.

My intention was to leave my car completely stock. That didn’t last very long!

Appearance Mods
Corrado Hoodliner Mural
Red Jewel Tint Heritage Grill
GM Blade Spoiler
GM Ground Effects
Chip Foose Cruise Custom Forged Wheels w/ Red Jewel Tint Accents
Premium Engine Covers
Gloss Black Radiator Shroud
Red Jewel Tint w/ Cyber Gray Accented Bowties
Red Jewel Tint Dipstick
Red Jewel Tint Fluid Caps
Red Jewel Tint Hood Strut
Red Jewel Tint RX Catch Can
Lloyd Ultimat Custom Embroidered SS Floor mats
Painted SS license plate frames
Red Jewel painted Antenna
3D Carbon Side Vents
ACS-T4 Bemper Ports with HP Vertical LED Slim Bar Lighting

Performance Mods
Jannetty Racing 470 Rough Idle Cam Package
Dynatech SuperMAXX Ceramic Coated 1 7/8 Long Tube Headers
High Flow Cats
Katech C5-R Timing Chain
GM Performance Stainless Steel Valves
DSS 1,000 RWHP Axels
Corsa cat back exhaust
CAI black powder coat cold air induction
Apex cold air intake scoop
Apex washer tank relocate kit
Estimated flywheel HP: 530 HP (15% Drivetrain loss)
Jannetty Racing Dyno Tune: 450 RWHP 422 RWTQ

This was at the dealer the day I picked it up.
Attached Images

Mods: Heritage Grill, Blade Spoiler, Corrado Hoodliner Mural, Premium Engine Boxes, Radiator Shroud, Custom Painted Bowties, Dipstick & Engine Caps, RX Catch Can, Corsa cat back exhaust, CAI black powder coat cold air, Apex cold air intake scoop and Apex washer tank relocate kit, Dynatech SuperMAXX Ceramic Coated LT Headers, High Flow Cats, JRE470 Rough Idle Cam Package, DSS 1,000 RWHP Axels, Slowhawk Mustang Dyno Tune, QTP QTEC 66 Low Profile Cutouts and iTSX. 453 RWHP 427 RWTQ

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
TRANSITION FROM STOCK TO CAM VID

Last edited by Maxspeed; 05-05-2014 at 02:11 PM.
Maxspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

My first mod was the SS badging on the fender

I used a paint stirrer. Its about 1", held it firmly against the bottom of "Camaro" and place the top of the emblem against the other edge of the stirrer. It makes a nice straight line. I marked each end of "camaro" on the stick and measured the word "Camaro". I then marked the center of the 2 marks. I then measured "SS", divided that number in half and marked that distance on either side of center. I them realigned the stirred so that the edge markings were in line with each side of "Camaro". I then aligned each end of "SS" with each each line that was on either side of dead center. That put the center of "SS" at the center of "Camaro".
Attached Images

Mods: Heritage Grill, Blade Spoiler, Corrado Hoodliner Mural, Premium Engine Boxes, Radiator Shroud, Custom Painted Bowties, Dipstick & Engine Caps, RX Catch Can, Corsa cat back exhaust, CAI black powder coat cold air, Apex cold air intake scoop and Apex washer tank relocate kit, Dynatech SuperMAXX Ceramic Coated LT Headers, High Flow Cats, JRE470 Rough Idle Cam Package, DSS 1,000 RWHP Axels, Slowhawk Mustang Dyno Tune, QTP QTEC 66 Low Profile Cutouts and iTSX. 453 RWHP 427 RWTQ

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
Old 01-27-2013, 06:39 PM   #3
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

My next mod was my personalized license plates and plate frames from www.autoanything.com. I also bought Llyods Ultimat front floor mats with red “SS” embroidered on them
Attached Images

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
Old 01-27-2013, 06:40 PM   #4
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

I then had Slowhawk Performance in Bridgewater Mass install my CAI Cold Air Induction, Cold Air Intake Scoop Washer Relocate kit all bought from Apex. They also installed my Corsa Cat Back Exhaust that I bought from www.autoanything.com.
Attached Images

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
Old 01-27-2013, 06:40 PM   #5
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

It wasn’t too long before I shipped it to Jannetty’s for some Dynatech SuperMAXX Ceramic Coated LT Headers, High Flow Cats, JRE470 Rough Idle Cam Package, DSS 1,000 RWHP Axels, Four Wheel Laser Alignment, JRE Dyno Tune and iTSX. She dyno’d at 450 RWHP and 427 RWTQ

Attached Images

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
Old 01-27-2013, 06:41 PM   #6
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Some of you may remember that a month later my timing chain snapped. It was rebuilt with Stainless Steel GM Performance valves, a Katech C5R Timing Chain and an LS2 Dampener.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254244

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
Old 01-27-2013, 06:41 PM   #7
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

My next mod was an RX Catch Can installed by Slowhawk Performance.
Attached Images

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
Old 01-27-2013, 06:42 PM   #8
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Here she is after a paint correction using all Adams products
Attached Images

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
Old 01-27-2013, 06:42 PM   #9
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

My planned mods for this spring include a Corrado hood liner mural (in process), Gloss black with RJT accents Premium Under Hood Package and a gloss black radiator shroud from Showstopper Accessories, a GM Blade Spoiler, a RJT Heritage Grill and RJT front and rear bow ties.

http://www.corradomurals.com/8.html

http://showstopperaccessories.com/pr...kge-deal.html#

This radiator shroud will be made to fit the CAI Cold Air

http://showstopperaccessories.com/pr...ir-intake.html

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127340

http://www.rpidesigns.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=1800

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE

Last edited by Maxspeed; 01-27-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:57 PM   #10
tones2SS

Drives: '13 Roush S3 '16 Ram Sport 4X4
Awesome story Max! lol
Car looks great bud. Keep us posted.
tones2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:03 PM   #11
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Thanks! I have been putting off doing a build thread but finally got around to it. I have Corrado working on a mural for me involving these three pictures, just the car, jet and dog.

Maureen from Rogers was nice enough to find me a red jewel tint blade spoiler and I should have it and the Heritage Grill from her in a few weeks.
Attached Images

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
Old 01-27-2013, 07:43 PM   #12
aquablueL99
Jackson's COTW

Drives: 1968 Camaro & 2010 Camaro 2SS
Mspeed,

I would like to say...It looks and sounds great just the way she sits....

That cam was just what she needed to make her sound outstanding...
Nicely done....

Kurt ABL99...
Old 01-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #13
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Thanks!

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
Old 01-27-2013, 08:00 PM   #14
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Wow, Beautiful Car, Great looking (Happy) dog, and a really nice aircraft...

Great start on the build journal...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote