Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-01-2013, 12:43 AM   #15
infernostripes!

Drives: 2010 1ssrs
I think I may have been misunderstood a little. When I am tap shifting I feel more pull and jerk out of first gear then when I am in D and S. Its like if the gas peddle became 2x as sensitive!
Old 07-01-2013, 12:46 AM   #16
infernostripes!

I know you all probably think I am crazy lol But I promise its a different animal in first gear when I am tap shifting
Old 07-01-2013, 03:09 AM   #17
Miles 45thCSS

Drives: 45th Anniversary Edition 2012 2SS
Thats because in the l99 the 1st gear is really aggressive. A little higher than 4.00. When you put it in sport mode it starts off the car in 2nd.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:33 AM   #18
Mr pogo

Drives: 96 Imp SS, 13 Camaro 2SS AGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles 45thCSS View Post
Thats because in the l99 the 1st gear is really aggressive. A little higher than 4.00. When you put it in sport mode it starts off the car in 2nd.
this and also when the trans is shifting itself it will upshift into higher gears at a steady cruise/light acceleration.
which means it has to downshift if you floor it and that slows the response time compared to tapshifting and manually holding a lower gear and keeping the rpm higher.

that 1st gear (and even 2nd) is tricky to tapshift correctly without hitting the rev limiter due to the relative slowness of the shift.
if you wait to tapshift until a few hundred under the redline, the rpm increase will beat the shift into second and you hit the rev limiter.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:01 AM   #19
Rhino79

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99/Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by infernostripes! View Post
I think I may have been misunderstood a little. When I am tap shifting I feel more pull and jerk out of first gear then when I am in D and S. Its like if the gas peddle became 2x as sensitive!

Could likely be from different torque converter settings between tap and the other modes. Does it seem to just rev more freely?
Rhino79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:12 AM   #20
infernostripes!

No it's not that it's revving more freely. Let me see if I can explain this better. If I'm at a standstill in the tap shift mood and I press the acceleration but pull of quickly the damn car bucks like horse. If I were to press the gas and let go quickly in S or D the car doesn't really buck. Like the only way I can drive in T is if I fully commit to having the peddle pressed all the way down. I hope that helps
Old 07-01-2013, 01:51 PM   #21
Mr pogo

Drives: 96 Imp SS, 13 Camaro 2SS AGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by infernostripes! View Post
No it's not that it's revving more freely. Let me see if I can explain this better. If I'm at a standstill in the tap shift mood and I press the acceleration but pull of quickly the damn car bucks like horse. If I were to press the gas and let go quickly in S or D the car doesn't really buck. Like the only way I can drive in T is if I fully commit to having the peddle pressed all the way down. I hope that helps
its because as I mentioned, in S or D the trans upshifts as soon as you reduce throttle and no engine braking occurs.
when you hold first with tapshift and let off you get massive engine braking because its such a low gear.
back in the day pickups that had a 4 speed stick manual with granny first gear, you could get them to pop wheelies in first just by getting on and off the throttle several times to rock the truck.

you just have to be smoother with the throttle or upshift a gear before letting off the gas.

just thought of something else.
I bet that GM designed this trans so the PCM can turn on engine braking in all gears when in tapshift mode.
the older 4L60E had it in 1 and 2 only in manual shifting with the stock design, mines modified to have it in all three lower gears which is great when manually shifting.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #22
infernostripes!

Ohh ok. Thanks for expanding my knowledge Mr. Pogo!