Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 12-09-2010, 08:48 AM   #1
Prochargedchevyi

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Inline Oil Filters for TT kits?

Are any of the turbo kits that are sold by our vendors utilizing inline oil filters from the crankcase to the turbos? The reason I'm asking is, I have a feeling that as turbocharged F/I applications get more popular with the Camaros, we're going to see an increase in catastrophic failures.

When an engine has a failure, the oiling system will continue to pump debris through the engine and occassionally you can get shrapnel into your housings and kill your turbo as well. The main oil filter will catch some of it, but I've personally tossed several turbos because the rotating assembly grenaded.

Is there any failsafe that manufacturers are using to help prevent this? We used to fabricate our own when we built full-on race cars, but I haven't noticed any in the kits that I've seen on here....Maybe I'm just not seeing them in the pictures

Vince

Last edited by Prochargedchevyi; 12-09-2010 at 09:02 AM.
Prochargedchevyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:21 PM   #2
Prochargedchevyi

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
So no one is utilizing one of these?

Cheap insurance to save your turbos. I'm surprised it hasn't been discussed on here.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:28 PM   #3
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
As long as it is maintained it would be a good idea, but I suspect when they become restricted over time and the owner is not on top of it it would be a guaranteed turbo failure if the proper oil flow is not maintained.

Been building turbo cars for lots of years and have not had issues like you describe, but would like some other FI vendors to join in w/their opinions also.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote